Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.8/185.3/135 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Meridia

Hi everyone,
I am having a hard time trying to loose weight. Today the doctor put me on Meridia, any of you is taking it?
How does it work?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:54

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Never heard of it, but I plan on looking it up. What does he think of Atkins? Is he for/against it or does he even know? I had lots of docs tell me NO when I inquired about Atkins and now I have a doc that actually recommended it to me. Annie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:03
Registered Member

BF:

She is not in favor of Atkins at all, I had to go visit a doctor because I have had a terrible time trying to loose weight. I am excersising 4 times a week with a trainer also.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:08

Plan: VLC/ZC
Stats: 238.6/234.6/150 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Doesn't Meridia prevent the absorbtion of fat. That's how it causes you to lose weight. I've heard some pretty awful stories of Meridia in connection with higher fat intakes(such as atkins), as well as if you're just plain not really careful. "Leakage" is the specific term I remember... fats that aren't absorbed pass through and end up as uncontrolable BM. Invest in some disposable undergarments. This is a side effect I'd not be willing to endure for the loss of a few, or even many, pounds.

GL=)
Cori
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:11

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I looked it up and unfortunately the first couple hits were those sites for drug lawsuits. I did find an interesting site explaining precautions and it explains that it works as an appetite supressent. Here's the link. http://www.diet-i.com/diet_pills/me...precautions.htm
Have you tried all of Dr. Atkins suggestions for appetite supression? He mentions alot of natural stuff in his DANDR book and also in his Vita Nutrient Solution that can help. His "Dieters Advantage" pills work ok for me. Also...going cold turkey on the caffeine was a must for me. I was doing real coffee, almost a pot a day and I was still tired. I read that that can really make a difference on your appetite level, as well as some of those diet soft drinks that aren't done with splenda. Even then, I still have cravings -ketosis or not- when I'm PMS. Anyways...I'd read the precaution link just in case you're taking any meds like sudafed or allergy medications etc. Sounds like it interacts with a ton of over the counter medications that your doctor may or may not know you're taking. Please be careful and read up on it. My favorite search engine is www.dogpile.com cuz it seems to get me hits on stuff Google doesn't catch. Good luck, Annie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. Cori, I think you're thinking of Xenical. That stuff is definitely out of the question if you're doing Atkins. Meridia is an appetite suppresant that acts on serontonin receptors, I think. Lulita, did the doc explain why she put you on it? I mean, if you're already active and on Atkins, it doesn't sound like a voracious appetite is causing your difficulty in losing... I'm just curious. I certainly hope she did what she's supposed to do and try to figure out why you're not losing. Did she order some blood tests?

Feel free to start a journal and keep track of your food and exercise. Maybe we'll spot something that might be causing you problems.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:31
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, we did blood tests but there isn't any problems with my thyroid, just a slow methabolism.
I am not that hungry, I don't eat that much, I think that she seems me a little desperate.
As per coffee and soft drinks, I have erradicated them from my diet 2 months ago when I started.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 16:31

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I took Meridia for a while about 4 years ago. One of the things that is disconcerting about it is that it is not really understood just exactly how Meridia works. My doctor came right out and told me when he prescribed it "Doctors aren't sure why this medication works, but it seems to for some people". For me, it seemed to act mostly as an appetite suppressant. I didn't eat as much, and sometimes I would go nearly all day without eating and would not feel hungry. I would have to MAKE myself stop what I was doing to eat. I did lose about 25 lbs on Meridia, however the minute I stopped taking it I gained every bit of it back because I started feeling hungry and eating more again. Most insurance plans will NOT cover Meridia, and I was paying about $114/month out of pocket for it. After I stopped taking it, I heard that there could be fairly severe medical issues related to Meridia usage.

Only you can decide if it's right for you, however I have lost better and more consistently on this WOL than I EVER did on Meridia.

Robin
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:06

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I took Meridia about 5 years ago. I experienced absolutely no benefit from it. I did however have one of the side effects, dry mouth. I stayed on it for 2 months and didn't lose a single pound. Figured it was not worth the money.

IMO Atkins gives you a much better natural suppressed appetite and reduces cravings, so why bother with a weightloss pill that "might" work and "will" cost a ton of money.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:47

Plan: VLC/ZC
Stats: 238.6/234.6/150 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Sorry about that... I did indeed have my medications confused. I haven't heard much about the Meridia, I guess the Xenical horror stories just stuck with me.

As far as Meridia goes, if it's just an appetite supressant, I bet it works for VERY FEW people in the long run. It will basically just make you able to starve yourself, slowing your metabolism further. And the weight will just be that much easier to re-gain as soon as the pills are no longer there to control your appetite for you. I'd say stick with what you're doing(positive diet changes & exercise) and though you may not have dramatic losses you'll see results. And those results will last.

And I'd honestly have some serious issues with a Dr. wanting to put someone on a potentially dangerous medication for 20 or 30lbs. Medications should be used when appropriate, you don't amputate a hand because it needs a few stitches. For someone who is obese, potentially dangerous in and of itself, these medications may be prudent. But for an other wise healthy person with just that few extra pounds they aren't happy with... NO WAY.

=)
Cori

And just a bit so you don't think when you read my post that I've lost 50+lb and not felt your frustrations. I lost most of my weight last summer/fall, and have been struggling since about Dec'03 to continue my loss. I've lost/gained the same 5lb many times between then and now. It's not always easy(darn lc products), it's simply something I'm commited to. It takes time.

Ten thousand flowers in spring,
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer, snow
in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by
unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life.
-Wu-Men

Last edited by flwrfrog : Mon, Apr-26-04 at 19:00.