Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 10:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default fun facts with sodium

Put up with me.. I am bored today

Sodium
Sodium acts to maintain the normal hydration state of the bodily fluids. Sodium ions are found primarily in the plasma and fluid surrounding cells while potassium is found within cells. These ions affect the movement of water in an out of cells. Sodium ions balanced by other ions are necessary to normal cell function in all tissues of the body. Sodium, chloride and potassium concentrations are tightly controlled by osmoreceptors within the brain and the hormones ADH and aldosterone. These ions can be resorbed from or exceted in the urine, sweat, tears as needed. One to 2 grams of sodium is found in the normal diet. We require an intake of about 4-6 grams each day. Because sodium is added to many foods during processing as a flavor enhancer, intakes in the U.S. are often in excess of the requirement. Sodium may be involved in hypertension in some individuals.

1 gram equals 1000mg and there are 2325mgs of salt in a teaspoon.

That means we should each be taking in at least 1 3/4 tsps of salt a day in our foods but not more than 2.58 tsp. Wow that isn't very much is it?

So how are you doing on salt? Check those labels and add it up! If you are consuming more than that, it could be causing water retention or worse hypertension!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 06:56

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Salt of the earth

Its strange but I just don't know how much salt I am taking in.

I do not have any symptoms of too much nor to little so it must be about right.

With the reduction in processed food It must be less than it was.

My BP is just dandy.

We have a sea salt shaker/grinder and I add a little to boiled eggs when I take the top off. I also salt the water that most veggies are boiled in. Salt is also rubbed into pork skin to make it crackle.

I think that salt levels should take account of lifestyle - sportspeople might need more - very low salt levels could put people at risk if they lost fluid in an accident.

Although research is still a little contradictory I will go along with salt reduction lobby in moderation.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 15:39

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

WOW That is some really cool information! I have never really thought about how much salt I use per day. I guess I could start by measuring out 1- 3/4 teaspoon in a bowl in the morning and see if I actually go through it...or not! LOL Thanks again, this will be a neat experiment.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 17:11

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

You need to keep in mind that the 1 3/4 tsp is for total intake and includes the sodium you consume that is already an instrinsic part of the other foods. So if you actually go through that much free salt you are getting way more sodium than you need.

On a fine note, while there is about 2300mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt, there is a LOT more salt than that. Table salt is only 39% sodium (by weight) and so a tsp of salt weighs about 5800 mg.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 22:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You must also remember that sodium is natural in foods. Even foods that you don't think of as being salty. Take celery, for instance. A 7 1/2 inch stalk has 35mgs of sodium and 1/2 cup of diced celery has 52 mgs.

I'll never forget Richard Simmons doing a salt demo on TV years ago. What struck me most was that 1/2 c of chocolate pudding had more salt than a serving of potato chips. Of course, we won't have to worry about that since we shouldn't be eating either!

Corrine Netzer's book of food counts lists sodium content of foods.