Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Why am I so cold?

I have read in these forums that many people have experienced feeling cold all the time while others have said they have experienced feeling warmer than there were prior to LCing. I am in the former group although when I first started LCing I was experiencing the warmer than usual symptom. I used to walk around my apartment in a t-shirt and shorts and often with no socks, even when it was -20C outside and my apartment is kind of drafty. As I write this I have added track pants, a sweater and socks and I am still feeling cold. I feel like putting my jacket on. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do to fix it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 23:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Default i dont have

any advice on how to fix it or why but i thought i would tell you, you arent alone. I am cold alot too, i kind of use it to judge how i am doing, usually if i am cold i am loosing
linda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 23:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: i dont have

Quote:
Originally posted by lhill
[B i kind of use it to judge how i am doing, usually if i am cold i am loosing
[/B]

So I guess I should take this sweater off. Maybe if I am really cold I'll really start losing.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

I feel cold now easier too, I used to be the hot one. I feel it is because I am losing weight, thus less insulation I use to be my dh's little heater, he would put his hands on me and snuggle me to get warm now I put my hands on him
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 07:30
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

This is not a fact or anything but from what I've seen here people go the opposite of what they used to be. I am always cold, yet when I was doing Atkins, I was warm and at times even too hot.

I've seen lots of posts like that, cold people melting away, and toastie people turning to popsicles. At least if you're too warm you can maybe save on the heat a bit
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default drinking cold water is what makes me cold

I like my water very cold, but I do notice that I'm always freezing when I'm drinking it. However, drinking very cold water actually legitimately burns calories!

A food calorie (actually, a kilocalorie) is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a liter of water one degree Celsius. If you drink a liter of 45'F water (7'C), it takes 30 calories to raise that water to your body temperature of 98'F/37'C. 30 calories doesn't sound like a lot, but if you drink 2.5 liters of cold water a day, it works out to 10.5 lbs a year!

Anyway, that's why I'm freezing when I drink cold water -- heat is being transferred to the water from elsewhere in my body, which is having to burn energy to compensate and raise its temperature back up to normal, burning calories in the process. Isn't science nifty?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 21:30

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

put me in the cold club!! i have a space heater right now thawing out my feet. i am deffinately more cold since starting atkins
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 22:12
Registered Member

BF:

This cold thing really is strange. I woke up this morning and I wasn't cold. I was hot and sweaty. I had to take the covers off. As the day went on I have gotten colder and colder. Of course a factor in this could be that this morning it was +2C outside and now it is -25C with a -40C wind chill which does increase the draftiness of my apartment but I don't think that is the sole reason. Thinking back, I don't think this is the first time I have experienced this. I am going to keep track of how I feel over the next few days but do others here experience being hot in the morning and cold at night? atlee's explanation about drinking cold water could explain this as I do drink a lot of water and it is generally very cold. Maybe I'll try drinking some warm water over the next day or two and put this theory to the test.