Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:12

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Talking Water - Water - my soul for water!!!!!

I have been a very long time LC'r .. and actually am quite proud of my successes so far .. but every once in a while -- something pops into my head and I just can't shake it -- or come up with an answer .. so I end up putting a miscellaneous post here ... (aren't you all lucky!!! )

I drink a TON O' Water ... it's nothing for me to put away 100-150 oz without even thinking about it .. I have heard from some sources that too much water will cause water retention .. (which is bringing me to this post -- as even though it's been humid lately -- I've been holding onto water horribly -- even more than normal ) For the amount of water that I drink throughout the day ... I should be definately moving my desk into the company restroom .. and even though I'm in there enough .. it just doesn't feel enough for me ..

I have also heard -- in order to get rid of water -- you need to drink more water .. but when I was up over 200 oz a day .. (which again didn't take much doing); people were telling me that I was overdoing it .. and could cause health problems ..

What do people like myself do .. according to Atkins (at least what I vaguely remember reading --) water intake should be 50% of your current weight in ounces .. as in 158 / 2 = 79 oz is what I should be doing .. (shoot -- I do that before I leave for work in the morning .. )

Is there something else that I could be drinking to help get rid of this excess water that's in my system because I DO wear my water bottle at the hip .. and have it with me whereever I go ..

(just for the medical record .... I have been tested for diabetes and it is non-existant ... even though I'm constantly thirsty)

Another place I remember reading -- drinking alot of water will bring on cravings for more water .. (oooo I'm stuck in a vicious circle here) ...

If someone can help me out -- I would really appreciate it .. Am I drinking too much water .. and how do I cut down without my body going into dehydration ??? and can too much water create water retention, and do I have my calculation of how much I SHOULD be getting correct ???? and sooooo many question

I hope someone can help .. as I'm stuck in I believe a water retention stall .. I know I'm the unofficial president of the turtle club, and that doesn't bother me .. since I AM proud of my loss so far .. and coming off slowly-I've learned well how to "maintain" along the way .. but have wondered about my water intake ..

Please and thanks!!!
Will anxiously be awaiting responses !!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 13:38
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I believe that 64 oz is the recommended amount and then 8 oz for every 10lbs overweight.

If you aren't feeling right I would lower how much water you consume.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I have no-scientifically based answer, just some personal experience to share. When I first started low-carbing, I couldn't slake my thirst, regardless of how much water I drank. After a few weeks and boosting my intake of potassium and magnesium, my thirst levels became quenchable.

I can't say whether your electrolyte levels are a little haywire, but they might need some supplementation. A sure way to find out is to have an EXATest performed. I drink 2C of a potassium broth to boost my mineral intake.

Not being well-acquainted with women's health issues, I'd like to hear from some female members about their experience with this issue.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 14:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you want to reduce the risk of water retiontion, don't cut back on the water you're drinking, instead lower your sodium intake. Hormones, sodium, and a ton of other things contribute to water retention. Drinking alot of water helps most people lose weight, not stalls them. Think of it this way too, which do you think it is healthier to have, a pound of water in your body, or a pound of fat?

Sweat it out to help to. Up your exercise amounts and go for it. The potassium is a good idea as drinking alot of water can flush it from the system. As for cravings for more water, that is a new one on me. The body's thirst signal is ment to warn you that you are getting slightly dehydrated and need to drink something. With people who drink next to nothing, or alot of sodas, that thirst signal is shut off much like the hungry one is shut off in anorexics and starving people.

I drink a ton of water. I have a 24 oz bottle I refil through out the day, and there is a very good chance I go well above the 200oz line. The only time I have a problem with water weight was when I ate pork rinds before bed time. As long as I monitor my sodium intake I have no problem.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 15:31

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Being thirsty all the time is the most obvious sign of Diabetes!! Before you try to figure out if it is good or bad to drink lot of water, test your self (your Dr. would know).

Now, if you have eliminated diabetes: there is such a thing are drinking "too much water" and it is different for everyone depending on diet, weather, activity, etc. In my army days serving in the desert I would drink almost 20 liters (over 5 gallons!) in a day, but I was working my butt off in 45 C (~115 f) in a very dry environment. drinking and sweating that amount of water deplete our electrolytes and we would take "salt pills" which had electrolytes and other supplements.

For normal people like us, it is very hard to "drink too much"... So if you Dr. says you are ok (diabetes wise), then I wouldn't worry...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:33

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesspp

I hope someone can help .. as I'm stuck in I believe a water retention stall .. I know I'm the unofficial president of the turtle club, and that doesn't bother me .. since I AM proud of my loss so far .. and coming off slowly-I've learned well how to "maintain" along the way .. but have wondered about my water intake ..

Please and thanks!!!
Will anxiously be awaiting responses !!!

Nobody NEEDS over 64oz a day, but neither will it hurt you from the research I've done on water retention. However, there are many determining factors. First of all, if you exercise a lot you'll lose water through perspiring so you would need to replenish the water lost. Also, if you consume a lot of sodium, you're going to retain a lot of the water you drink.

Most people say "but I don't even put a salt shaker on the table!" Well, that's actually the least amount of sodium most people get. Check your labels! Canned foods, Ketchup, tomato sauce, so on and so on and so on! Very high in sodium; as is your pre-packaged producys, restaurants and fast food.

Soooooooo, I'd cut back on sodium if you're retaining water as opposed to cutting back on water.

Also, speak to your doctor about it (we are not professionals) and request a blood sugar test for Diabetes. Hope that helps.

Good Luck! Morgan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:53

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I'm so glad you posted this question, I'm also drinking a LOT of water and constantly drink it through the day. My blood sugars have been consistantly high for the last 6 years since I became pregnant - 7.6 I went for my routine blood check and after 2 weeks of LC it was down to 5.8 which was very nice!

If I have a few days where I don't drink lots of water I feel headachy and lethargic but bounce back after getting a few bottles of water inside me again.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 11:44

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Same boat here I drink upwards of 150 oz of water a day, easily. I have a VERY occasional diet coke and M-F, 1 8 oz cup of green tea. I don't feel thirsty though - I drink it b/c it is there. At home, it helps quench the desire to snack, and during the day, gives me an excuse to leave my desk at least 5 times. Otherwise, I would be chained here & I think many of us could relate to that.
I have found I go less than what I used too & I chalk that up to my body using the water more productively. At first, it did not know what to do with all the fluid. I also have started running which ='s SWEAT! I sweat profusely now when I run. I can easily soak a shirt...
Just letting you know you are not alone Cheers "raises cup high"
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 12:43

BF:

Thank you all -- I got alot of most excellent reply's here ..and are relieved to know that my water intake is really not going cause me problems ..

No -- Diabetes is not an issue (just got tested during my physical in early June) ..

I will continue to drink and enjoy my water .. and not get upset by how much I drink ..

Thanks again
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:24

Plan: Lo-carb/calorie counting
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

PrincessPP, your before and after pictures are amazing. Very inspirational
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 14:56

BF:

Norag ...
Thank you so much for the compliment .. it reveals alot of hard work ..

Thanks again!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 15:02
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

When I retain water, I usually find that watching sodium helps. Also 3 cups of green tea per day does wonders if you're bloated.

K.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Ck Out Dandr

IN dandr, dr. a. says that asparagus tabs help with water retention, havent tried it yet myself..... good luck