Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 11:13

Plan: No Idea
Stats: 180/175/160
BF:
Progress: 25%
Cool Lazy Newbie Thoughts

Hey all, this is my first post, and what I'm about to ask will probably make a true dieter laugh at me. But I'm just curious...

I found this site yesterday and have been browsing all the messages. I see all these things about reaching ketosis, induction period, etc. In honestly evaluating myself, I know that I cannot truly do it the way you guys do. However, I am only trying to lose about 15-20 lbs. And in the past, I have been mildly successful with "random" dieting. So my question is, can I accomplish 15-20 lb weight loss in a few months (I weigh 180) by doing a "half" low carb diet?

My thinking is that I cannot avoid low carbing at lunch. I work everyday, and the nature of the business is very social and indulgant lunches. I'd like to maintain my normal eating habits at these lunches. However, I would skip breakfast (usually I have a bagel or orange juice), and for dinner I would have no carbs at all. What I have been doing the past week is just having grilled chicken, salmon, pork chop, etc. for dinner, with chinese cabbage, spinach, or brocolli. I feel totally fine doing this; i had expected to feel weaker or less satisfied since I no longer snack either.. But now I'm confident I can keep having no carb dinners as long as I have regular lunches.

Will this help me at all or am I essentially going around in circles by trying to diet like this? I guess you can tell that I'm not truly committing myself to low carbing yet, so any advice or scolding would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 11:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Anandtek,

I work in sales, which means I frequently take clients to lunch. Not sure what you call indulgent lunches are, but I have yet to find a problem sticking to low carb while taking clients out at their choice. I always find something on a menu that can be slightly modified without much notice from clients.

There is a link to the right side called "which low carb plan is right for me?" you may want to check out. Not all low carb diets are the same. They all vary and you will need to find one that you can live with. Atkin's is by far the strictest going, but some find comfort in the boundries of the plan.

My advice would be research the different plans and find one you think you can live with BEFORE jumping in with both feet
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 12:52

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Must agree with agony cat here, if you want to loose weight you've got to be commited and follow a plan. A half and half measure may stop you gaining weight, but is unlikely to encourage you to loose any.

I find this way of life great and breakfast is an essential requirement.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 12:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Ann
A half and half measure may stop you gaining weight, but is unlikely to encourage you to loose any.

Not to mention that a diet high in fat (like most low carbohydrate diets are) in the presence of moderiate to high loads of carbohydrates can really tip your blood cholestrol to danger levels.

Which is why I think you should research the plans and find a specific one you can live with and follow without feeling deprived. Doing these diets can actually cause harm if done "half assed".
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 13:44

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%
Lightbulb HAVE YOU TRIED CAD??

I follow Atkins but my boyfriend follows the C arbohydrate A ddicts D iet because he just can't give up carbs all together. CAD is a plan that allows you one "reward meal" per day in which you are allowed to have carby foods. I do not know much about it but there is plenty of information on this forum. CAD does not allow you to lose weight as quickly as Atkins but those on the plan say the "reward meal" is worth the sacrifice of slow weight loss. You may want to look into it. Just an idea.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 14:43

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%
Arrow A link

Here is a link to the plan comparison page about CAD.

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet

There is valuable information and a basic description of the plan. If it sounds like your style I suggest that you buy the book and read the WHOLE thing!! I agree with Agonycat. Changing your eating habits is something that takes dedication and work. You have to change the way you think about what you eat and why you eat it. I would not suggest choosing a plan that can not be done long term.

Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing. I truly want you to succeed WITHOUT risking your health. We are all here to help one another.

Welcome and good luck!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 00:09

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

In a strong echo of what Cat has already emphasized, high carb and high fat is a very dangerous combination. I strongly encourage you to get either Atkins' book or Protein Power by the Eades and learn about the what and why of low carbing - in particular, what carbs do to the body and how they do it.

Unlike most diets, low-carbing is quite easy to stick to at restaurants. Chinese is a challenge because of all the starch they add to virtually every dish, but the rest are generally not a problem. Don't eat the bread or starchy vegetables. Enjoy the salad with an oil or ranch dressing. Eat all the meat and seafood you want provided it's not breaded and pass on dessert. As Cat said, you can almost always follow this without drawing any attention to yourself at all - and if anyone should comment, simply tell them that you need to control your blood sugar - which is exactly true and precisely what you are doing.

Do NOT skip breakfast - it's the most important meal of the day for a LOT of reasons.

Given that you don't need to lose much and that you are willing to take several months to do it, you might try the following feasible: Lower your carb intake and drastically reduce your sugar intake. Do NOT increase your protein or fat intake very much unless you are actually going low carb - you want to avoid the high carb high fat problems and it doesn't take a lot of carbs to trigger them. Basically, continue eating as you are but trim out the carbs as you can. This is NOT the best approach by any means - it's a kludge and I don't support kludging LC so I am NOT recommending this approach, merely offering it as a possibility in case you conclude that you really can't commit to an actual LC approach. Besides, it doesn't address the biggest concern - how you are going to remain at your goal once you make it there. That is FAR easier said than done. But if you research it a bit I think you will find that you CAN commit to LC - it's a lot easier than it appears at first.

Cheers.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 07:56
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

There is also a sort of step into low carbing plan outlined in either Schwartzbien Principal or Protein Power I believe. The first step is to stop eating anything with sugar in it. You also make sure you eat a substantial breakfast with protein in it every morning. I don' t own it so I can't tell you the rest of them, but it's worth checking out.

Elihnig
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 18:03

Plan: No Idea
Stats: 180/175/160
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks for all the advice guys... What you mentioned about low sugar is very feasible for me, I should have mentioned that I have no interest in candy for the most part, and I don't like caffeine so I usually avoid sodas. I'd estimate I might have 1 soda per week, the rest of my sugar coming from a glass of OJ every couple days or so. I had no idea that what I'm thinking about doing could actually be dangerous, my thought was that less carbs in my diet should only help. This forum has been pretty helpful, but tons of information to sort through, I hope I can figure out what works best for me soon.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 14:14

Plan: CAD/PP
Stats: 105/95/94
BF:
Progress: 91%
I have to admit that I had entertained such thoughts before, purely because I’m not really in this for weight loss. I’d stacked on a little less than 10lbs during a bout of depression but am losing it steadily for the past 2 weeks. However, I know I will make this a lifelong commitment – The motivation may be different but the benefits of a low-carb lifestyle is unanimous. I feel so much more in control of myself and am able to cater to my body’s needs more readily because I understand what it is telling me. Physically, I feel healthier, more energetic and even happier.

If you’re someone who can’t pass up on that breakfast bagel (like myself), then I’d suggest you read up on CAD like Niky suggested. A reward meal is designated according to your convenience and you’re able to eat whatever you like within a span of an hour. It is important to realise that this hour is not a binge, but rather a logically portioned healthful meal. You start with a salad, then have 1/3 good protein sources, 1/3 vegetables and 1/3 high-carb foods, including pasta, bread, fruits and dessert. CAD works by virtually eliminating any form of deprivation, as compared to a calorie-controlled, low-fat diet, which is usually the reason why people “cheat” on a diet or succumb to their old eating habits whenever they feel emotionally compelled to eat, or when they’ve reached their goal weight.

While at the bookstore or the library, I’ll suggest reaching for Protein Power as well. It contains a more scientific and well-researched opinion on the how and why of low-carbing. CAD is more geared towards changing eating habits though the Hellars also discuss insulin levels and the like.

I also agree with wbahn about not skipping your breakfast. It's really an essential and skipping meals in the hope to lose weight is not the right way to go.

Hope you find something that works for you soon and I’m sure all of us here look forward to hearing your LC laments about ketosis, stalls and pork rinds.