Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 13:37

Plan: atkins (testing hf/mp)
Stats: 157/143.2/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:why i oughta...
Progress: 69%
Default No loss in 5 months...other than tone

I'm having difficulty understanding why I'm not losing. I lost 13 pounds in the first two and a half months and not an ounce since, even though I still consume no more than 25 carbs per day and my activity level remains the same. I drink 100 plus ounces of water per day, do not eat a lot of fake treats, and my calories are the recommended 10x my goal weight of 130, give or take a 100 one way or the other on most days. I think I have cheated twice in almost 8 months, and that was a mere bite of funnel cake at a fair and some popcorn at a movie. In fact, my weight has gone up several pounds and then back down to 138 in the past several months.

Also, my body fat has actually risen since beginning atkins, and I'm losing tone. My body feels really mushy even though I have a physical job. My BF has also noticed the "squishiness" in the past three months. I read somewhere that water replaces the fat cells, but I'm not losing and I keep getting mushier. I am in the same size I was at the end of June, when I hit 138.

I don't think my goal of 130 is unrealistic given that it's 5 pounds more than I weighed just 5 years ago, and I'm 5' 6" and small boned. I realize i could up my exercise level to burn off more calories, but frankly without the carbs I don't have the stamina anymore. I'm tired a lot. I do take a lot of supplements including a good multi with B's, calcium/magnesium/zinc, potassium, primrose oil, viatmin k (because my eyesight got blurry after starting atkins), flax seed oil, and a liver support supplement.

Typical breakfast is 2 eggs and bacon or sausage, tuna and mayo on leafy greens for lunch, chicken or fish with asparagus or brocolli for dinner. Snacks include almonds or macademia nuts or whole milk yogurt with a few berries. I do drink decaf coffee with cream but have done so since the beginning.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 14:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

1. The "mushiness" often indicates that the fat cells ARE losing fat and have replaced it with water.

2. The body adapts to a low level of carbs and adjusts the metabolism lower to manage at that level. Adding carbs is a great way of changing that and encouraging new losing.

3. If you feel that you NEED more carbs to exercise more, then go ahead and have them. This may be the exact message your body is trying to send you. Many of the people in the Exercise Forum eat amazing amounts of carbs in order to exercise well and effectively. Have a look over there for advice. Ask Trainer Dan what he thinks.

All the best. I do envy your being so close to your goal.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 14:48
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Poetree,

I agree with BarB that you may well need more carbs.

The only other thing I would add is to check how much protein you are getting. If your job is physical, you may well be in need of a higher protein level.
Check here for the Drs Eades recommendations on minimum protein requirements.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 16:38

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%
Talking

for sure up your carbs and get back to excercise! I wasn't losing doing the same thing (forgoeing exercise because I had no energy within the 20-25 carb range). FInally, I upped my carbs, hit the gym hard and poof...I started losing again. I also started feeling even better--which is what it is all about, after all.

It's really hard to get down to goal weight without pushing yourself in the exercise realm....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 17:10

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Komireds what carbs did you add.I find that I go to Curves and some days I can't finish the three rounds and i have been LC for 7 months.Do you eat a little before you go to exercise.I go first thing in the morning.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 19:00

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Have you tried strength training?
While running and such is great, sometimes the problem is a lack of mucsle mass. Doing some strength training may help you boost your metabolism and get your energy back.

I would also try dropping the nuts and adding something lower in calories, such as diet jello.

brobin
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 21:06
Registered Member

Stats: 182/178/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sounds like you need to up your carbs. Exercise/strength training is a definate way to turn that "mushiness" into toned muscle!!! And if you don't have the strength/energy then find it!!! Even if it means adding carbs.

You are so close to your goal weight and I have always heard the last few pounds are sometimes the toughest to lose!! Good luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 08:30

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobin

I would also try dropping the nuts and adding something lower in calories, such as diet jello.

brobin

I´m convinced that nuts stalled me. You might want to try to drop them.
Isiar
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 11:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Check out the exercise forums. They may prove helpful. But you probably should up your carbs.

Black57
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 14:47

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm in the same boat as you. First loss and then no more, I stay about the same flucuating about 3-4 pounds either way.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofi
1. The "mushiness" often indicates that the fat cells ARE losing fat and have replaced it with water.

2. The body adapts to a low level of carbs and adjusts the metabolism lower to manage at that level.

All the best. I do envy your being so close to your goal.

Thanks for your response, tofi. I didn't expect to stay mushy this long. I do think you're right in that my metabolism has adjusted. 5 months is too long a plateau not to believe that. I'm thinking of switching to CAD.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn2932
I'm in the same boat as you. First loss and then no more, I stay about the same flucuating about 3-4 pounds either way.

Wow--our stats are almost identical. Thanks for showing me I'm not alone in my stall.

I appreciate all the suggestions from those who have responded. I'm going to add in more carbs at my dinner meal, but I'm nervous about it. I'm starting to think Atkins might not be the best plan for those with fewer pounds to lose. Also, my cholesterol has gone up to 343, which is pretty scary, so maybe I need to cut back on the meat/fat a bit.

Thanks again for the support and good wishes.