Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 14:39
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%
Default Clarification re: color of keto-stix

Hi,

I've read on this board a few times that the color of your sticks might be affected by water intake. Not so.

I just read a post on the www.atkinsfriends.com site -- they sent a Q & A to Colleen Heimowitz, director of research at the Atkins Centre.

Here's the question and her answer:

Q: We know that any color change in a ketosis stick means you are in ketosis. But is the darker the stick better or does it mean you may not be getting enough water? Or does it mean you are burning more fat??

Answer: Remember in the book it says to test only at night and at least one hour after eating as this will give you a truer reading. ALSO any color change means you are burning fat. The darker the color, the more fat you are burning. It does not mean you are not getting enough water. Water will have little or no impact on the sticks color.

They also asked her lots more questions. The Q & A is in the Main Lo-carb Lobby forum. Here's the link: http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs...y.php?forumid=3

Kaillean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Thanks for posting this! I found so many of the things I've wondered about in others questions.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:00

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

One of the gentleman on this forum said to test at night, and I've been trying that for the past few days. It registers a lot darker for me at that hour than it did when I was checking it first thing in the morning. I always thought it was because the stix was registering my dietary fat at dinner rather than my actual state of ketosis. That's why I love this forum. I learn so many new things every day! Thank you
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 15:02
Registered Member

Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Default Ketostix

Kaillean:

What a great post! I read the book but didn't remember the requirement to use it one hour after eating at night.

Thank you!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:14
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kaillean,

Despite that answer, as a registered nurse who has been testing urines for many years, I'd like to point out that dehydration - for whatever reason - does cause ketosis.

As for the dilution factor making the colour lighter or not, try testing it for yourself. Many folk here have done just that, and found that when they drink plenty of water, the colour of the stix is substantially lighter, or in some cases, does not change at all.

And while any colour change can mean you are burning fat, it can also mean you have been drinking alcohol, are just plain in a state of starvation, or have had a very fatty meal.

To sum up, don't let the stix be your main focus. I've seen so many folk here over the last year worry about the colour of the stix while they are actually losing weight and losing it well. Just remember, losing fat is the goal, not changing the colour of a piece of plastic.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:42
Former Couch Potato

Hi Rosebud,

Good point about not getting too caught up in the whole stick thing. Actually because it's so easily influenced by the fat you eat I don't take it as gospel that I'm burning fat. But I do think it's an interesting psychological tool.

I don't think the point of the director's comments was that dehydration couldn't cause ketosis - I don't know anything about that and I don't think that's what the question asked.

I think the question was does a dark colored stick necessarily mean you haven't drunk enough water -- she says no. That your water intake shouldn't really affect the shade of your stick.

That's not to disagree with your point that dehydration could induce ketosis. Seems like a different question. I'm not questioning your expertise -- I'm sure what you say is true also.

I had just noticed a few posts stating that people who register a dark colored keto-stick must not be drinking enough water. She says not so.

My own experience so far seems to match what she says. I've been in the "dark zone" for the last couple of days and yet I'm drinking a TON of water. I always did - even before Atkins -- but now I drink at least 15 glasses a day, probably more. So I'm pretty sure I'm not dehydrated.

But I totally appreciate what you're saying. I think the sticks have been useful to motivate me in this first phase, but once they run out, I'm not sure I'd worry about buying any more. Especially because they're affected by the fat you ingest.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 19:09
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I think the question was does a dark colored stick necessarily mean you haven't drunk enough water -- she says no.

It is absolutely correct to say a dark coloured stick does not necessarily mean you are drinking enough water. But it might and can mean that, which is why I felt the need to mention it.
I was pretty much responding to the following:
Quote:
Water will have little or no impact on the sticks color.

For some people, such as yourself, water intake doesn't affect the colour, but for many it does.

I have to say here, Kaillean, that your attitude is excellent. You seem to have a good grip on what's important. And your weight loss is proceeding brilliantly, well done!

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 20:25
Former Couch Potato

Thanks for the encouragement, Rosebud. I know this initial loss is mainly water, and I can't expect it to continue at this rate - but boy, it sure is motivating!

I feel at least as if I'm establishing some good eating habits so that when the stall inevitably comes I won't run crying to the cookie jar (keeping fingers crossed!).

K.