Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/155/160 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Saying howdy and have a few ?s

First off howdy - This forum has been a great source of answers and information to me.

I think I made my first oops today during induction. For lunch I usually grab a premade caeser salad and then add my own dressing back at the office. For some reason they were out of the salads so I headed on over to the precooked section.

Looked around and noticed Salmon, good stuff right? hmm. Took it back to the office and ate a few bites before I realized there was a glaze over the top. Rubbed my fork over it and licked it and it tasted far too sweet. There was no label really that proved info so I had to ditch it. Figured that was already too many carbs for one day so I went to old faithful - jerky. I picked the only frigging pack of jerky in the world with carbs. I ate 3 pieces and noticed right away it was too sweet (ever notice how accute your taste becomes torwards sugar when you deprive your body of it!?). I look at the label and sure enough it has 6 grams of carbs!!!!??? So I figured I got at least 2 grams off that jerky, not to mention whatever was on top of that salmon. Bummer - I'll use the stix again tomorrow morning and hope I'm still going strong.

So far I've quit diet soda cold turkey from close to 100 ounces of Diet Pepsi and Coke a day. I've also quit coffee. I still have 1 glass of Iced tea in the morning with a non-aspertame sweetner) and sometimes in the afternoon if I'm feeling very sluggish.

I'm feeling tired at random intervals. Yesterday I couldn't hold my eyes open after I got home from work, but the day before I couldn't sleep. When the tiredness hits though it's like a train and it's all I can do to keep going.

I'm using the ketostix - I'm on my 2nd week of induction and the thing was off the chart it was so purple. I did some research and it seems that I'm not getting enough water. I'm now going after the watercooler almost every 1/2 hour. I hear I can hurt my kidney's if I don't get enough??

My current diet is pretty dull, but I seem to like it still. If I get tired of it I'll have to hit the recipe section.

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette with 4 thin slices of pepperjack or cheddar (what's the deal with too much cheese, I keep hearing you have to have it in moderation - Am I getting too much?), grilled chicken in the middle, hot spices and a dab of sour cream

Lunch - Ceasar Salad (no croutons) with dressing.

Dinner - Grilled Chicken or Hamburger meat with spices.

Any reccomendations or warnings?

I don't actually own a scale, I suppose I should pick one of those up tonight as well to monitor progress - I have no idea if I've even lost any weight yet

Thanks again!
~Bill
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hey -- before you go out and buy that scale -- get a tape measurer. You might notice that you lose inches much faster than pounds, and seeing those inches melt away is such a huge encouragement.

Or how about an old favorite pair of jeans -- many use the pant-o-meter to see how they are doing.

With the scales you may lose then gain a couple of pounds as your body holds and retains some water from time to time, it can be discouraging to see it move up 2-5 pounds.

Water is a good thing to drink -- it helps to flush out your system and most of us are dehydrated and don't drink enough. With the ketostixs if they are even a trace of pink you are in ketosis -- so if they get really light don't worry.

Your sluggishness and all can last about a week, but then you should feel some energy return.

I think cheese is limited to 3-4 oz a day?

The recipe section on the above orange bar will give you lots of ideas. Your menu doesn't have to be boring or the same. Some people burn out on eggs for breakfast, but you can eat what you want -- how about chicken, pork chops, leftovers from supper?

You're doing great -- keep us posted on your progress and welcome aboard!

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:48

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome to the forums Bill!

Cheese... on induction keep it to a maximum of 3-4oz a day (some ppl swear it can stall you).

Your menu looks great - is your salad all 3 cups worth for the day?

Yessss, drink the water!!! I hear 1 qt/liter per every 50lbs a person weighs.

The sluggishness... honestly, I felt that way too. Seems like everyone reports a wonderful burst of energy on induction, but I didn't find it until about the latter part of my 3rd week. Hang in there and I'm sure things will get better. Kicking caffiene is a bugger.

Good luck! (ohhh and consider starting a journal on this site - very very helpful and a great way to meet ppl!)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:22
Registered Member

Stats: 187/178/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi! I will start this by saying I'm only on day 3 of Induction, but when I get involved in something, I tend to do lots of research and read up on everything I can. So I've been reading lots of forums and sample menus and posts from more experienced folks. Here are my thoughts on your sample menu:

I've read that you should divide up your veggie carbs, not eat them all at one meal. I'd eat some more veggies with your supper, not just at lunch. And I'd add some meat to your lunch, not just the salad. That also might help with feeling tired. I haven't really felt all that tired since starting and I chase after 2 young kids all day! When I do start feeling a little weak, I either eat some protein (deviled eggs or steak) or eat a good meal with carbs (I find that allowable vegetables, other than the salad ones, tend to make me feel better...like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus). Also, are you snacking at all? I need to eat often throughout the day, but I'm also borderline hypoglycemic. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, snack, dinner. I find my hardest part of the day is between lunch and dinner. Then after dinner, I'm not hungry at all. No urge to snack whatsover. That is just amazing to me!

As far as the water goes, I find it much easier to drink if I have a squirt bottle. For some reason I chug it down much quicker that way. And it has got to be really cold.

Good luck to you!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:34

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

The little paper cones by the water bottle say that you should drink 1/2 oz. per lb of body weight a day. Be sure to check out the recipes on this site & atkins site. You dont want to get burnt out on the same things everyday.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:15

Plan: Atkins:Very Low Carb(VLC)
Stats: 265/251/165 Male 5'-8"
BF:41/38/15
Progress: 14%
Talking Fyi

Everyone had great comments and suggestions for you Bill, and as for the cheese... it's the salt content that makes one retain water wieght, same for my favorites salted cashews... so I go plain roasted!

The more nuts and cheese you eat the more water and green leafy veggies you will need, to "help" you along

Sound like you are doing great though, buy the tape measure, buy a scale, I think scales are great, but guys usually do.... just stay focused, it's good you have a routine of food you like for now, I lost the most wieght when I basically ate the same thing every day, it was a lot easier too! The more complex the more chance of getting the wrong stuff, but the reciepe section will be of great interest to you for sure!

Good luck!

later,
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:51

Stats: 185/155/160 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Well I've been downing some serious water these past two days. I used another Ketostick this morning and it was far less purple. Was definatly a big relief.

I forgot to mention that my caeser salad usually has grilled chicken - I try to get in some meat during lunch - Either in the salad or a small pack of jerky. I don't snack - I have NO APPETITITE at all lately. I force feed myself 3 meals a day and it's about all I can take in. I'll work on having a few more veggies for dinner. Maybe a small side salad of some kind.

Was taking the trash out last night and sure enough the pants started to slip down. I was more astonished than anything at the moment. Odd things these diets

~Bill