Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%
Default Fruit and this WOL

Is there anyone out there eating fruit? Fruit is ok on the OWL portion of this diet but in moderation. I have added fruit to my wol and seem to be ok. Is anyone else eating fruit?

Sarah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 12:36

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default blueberries and figs

I have (tiny) blueberry bushes and I eat what I harvest--which is about 8 berries.

Someone asked me to pick one of their bushes; I brought several pints home and froze them in 1/4 cup portions and will eat one bag a day.

I will eat a fresh fig as it ripens, but this is the first year the bush has borne, and I'm only getting one ripe every other day. And they're small.

Ate a pear from the pear tree and had a binge that night and decided to leave them alone.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:46

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I've stuck to strawberries and raspberries lately and have had no problems with them. Strawberries especially are so low carb I find eating a few is very satisfying and still keeps them under control.

In fact tonight for dinner my hubby and I are making crepes filled with whipped cream and berries. It should be wonderful!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:53
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have found that in pre-maintenance when I have natural higher carb foods I do ok with no weight gain (loses after a MAJOR stall in fact).

I have only tried these but have had no issues if adding only on of these in a day:

1 small apple w/ peanut butter
1/2 cup of red seedless grapes
1 bottle of V8
1 cup of mexican red beans
1 slice of multi grain bread
1 cup of tomato juice
1 sweet potato
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:09

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Eat fruit low on the glycemic index. Think:

Berries
Melons
Sour citrus fruits (including grapefruit)
Fruit with pits

In that order.

Avoid high glycemic fruits like:

Pinapple
Mangos (sigh! I loooove mangos)
grapes
bananas
etc...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:54

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

I've added blueberries and strawberries. When I bring them home, I split them up into serving sizes so I know what the carbs will be, then freeze them. Just have to take them out when I'm craving fruit! I only eat them a couple times a week, though. They haven't stalled me when they're eaten in moderation.

I'm on OWL, but keeping my carbs below 20. My DH and I find it hard most days to go over 15 carbs!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:16

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I still have about 12 lbs to lose, and am stuck at a stall. I added fruit (peaches and cantelope) a few days ago. I'm watching to see what happens..so far I haven't gained and haven't had any cravings so I think it's ok. Oh also..I guess tomatoes are classified as fruit and I have been eating them for a while now.I thought they were a veggie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I guess tomatoes are classified as fruit and I have been eating them for a while now.I thought they were a veggie

Gotta relate a story about this. There has been a running argument between my DH and I for the 17 years we've been married; really more of a joke than an argument at this point. He maintains that tomatoes are a vegetable and I maintain that they are a fruit.
About a year after we got married, my DH went back to college to pursue a degree in education and one day in class the question came up regarding whether a tomato is a fruit or a veggie. The professor asked everyone for their opinion and why they believed they were correct.
My DH replied "It's a fruit." and when asked why, he replied, "Because I'm tired of arguing with my wife about it!".
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 21:22

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Tee, Hee, yep we are always right Lisa!

O.K. Iam 2 pounds from goal, and I eat 3 serving of fruit a day, I started gradual at about 5-6 wks with blueberries, then strawberries, raspberries, melon, now I eat those plus peaches, apricot, plums, I have a 1/4 of an orange at a time, 1/3 of an apple at a time.

Now my idea of a serving is 1 small to med peach, 1/3 cup of berries, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of melon.

Today I had a peach in my protien shake, apricot at coffee break, 1/3 cup of blueberries with cottage cheese ( I have eaten this everyday for 3-4 months) and still got to where Iam
My only advice is don't overdo it with fruit, but Yes we should have it in our diet that is for sure!

Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 11:51

Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

Fruit! Fruit! Fruit!

how can i not eat it... fresh berries everywhere... strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries....

I refuse to NOT eat these delightful little gems. does that mean i'm cheating? probably. do i care? not in the least!

mmmm.... berries...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 11:56

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Strawberries, Peaches, and Tangerines. Strawberries are very Low in carbs (< 1g/Strawberry)...Peaches and Tangerines are also relatively Low in carbs.

Apples (even small ones) are much higher in carbs, but they are low-glycemic. So, I have them occassionally. I also have an occassional piece of Watermelon or Cantaloupe, despite their high glycemic index. I'll also eat orange slices when they come with an entree.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/225/135 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 10%

does anyone know about bing cherries how high in carbs they are?? I have some right now calling to me in my fridge!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:12

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi!

bing cherries are about 1 carb per cherry so a little high

if you don't eat them all I've found the chipmunks in our yard enjoy them!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:19
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I eat blueberries and strawberries every day, and occasionally melon and a handful of grapes. But I 'm real careful with grapes because they were a pre-low-carb focus of my gluttony.

What I wonder is what life will be like once berry season is over.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:40

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh, I adore all fruits, which is such a contrast to my intense dislike of vegetables.

I love the Summer when just about every fruit is in season. However, I think my favorite fruit is still the good ole boring strawberry, especially the sweet large ones in full bloom now. Mix them with cream and I can eat them all day. Aside from strawberries, I like canteloupe, apples, oranges, watermelons, grapes, bananas, and basically every fruit except for Dorian--whose taste I can't stand--and mango--which I absolutely think is the best tasting fruit in the universe, but am allergic to. Isn't that how life works? The ONE fruit I crave more than any is the only food in the world in which I'm allergic too.

Right about now, I'd sell my soul to be able to eat a mango without breaking out into a two week stint fighting an intense rash.

Regards,

Frederick