Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172.5/169.5/125.0
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Question about Cottage Cheese??

I am wondering why cottage cheese is a freebie on the Atkins Induction diet when it has so many carbs in it? The highest fat cottage cheese I can find (and I searched!) has 5g per 1/2 cup...which isn't a lot of cottage cheese! Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 21:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi jadis68!

It's possible that you misread the paragraph that the information is from? This is from the Induction Chapter:

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION

Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172.5/169.5/125.0
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default OK...maybe I have an outdated book...

I jsut checked my copy, which I picked up in 2000, and it is dated 1992. I checked online and it looks like there are two newer versions. Maybe they have changed...which one is your list from?

My version has Cheese in the Free Foods section of the induction diet, and had cottage cheese as one of them, and also several others that aren't on your list. Hmmm...good thing I didn't eat much of it!!

Is yours an updated list?

Thanks!

jadis68
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 14:19

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%
Thumbs up

Actually, you're right. If you look in the "Carb Gram Counter" located on the Atkin's website http://atkinscenter.com/food/index.html , it has cottage cheese listed at 2.5grams per half cup. I consider this my bible... hope it's not misleading me!! heheh
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 14:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Is yours an updated list?

Yes! It's from the 2002 edition. I just checked the 1992 edition and lo and behold, cottage cheese is indeed on the list of cheese.

For fun, I checked the 1972 edition for cheese in Induction and it says four ounces a day of any hard cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

Interesting!

Karen