Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/169/135 Female 5'6
BF:25
Progress: 15%
Default fluid trouble

Hi all,

I know I was told yesterday by Gil (sp.?), that I was having fluid trouble. This past month, my scales were tipping at 164. I can't remember this happening before. Today My scale says 158, which is right around what I have been weighing the last 2 years, that is actually high for me, as I weighed 145 through much of my 30's.

I drank a lot of water (10 glasses). I suppose I am really going to have to watch salt. I am taking Vitamin E, B, Potassium and Calcium Magnesium.
I am going to try and exercise as much as possible. I ran 9 miles this week.
I am cutting back on diet drinks and cheese. Any other advice?

-R.M.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/138/135 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have to tell you that I have never had a problem with water retention before in my life until I started Atkins. I gained almost 4 lbs of water weight in one week.
I gave up all liquids but Water. I drink 6 - 24 oz bottles per day. I also had to give up salty snacks like BBQ pork rinds. I will try to put them back into my diet when I get off induction, but for now I have to stay away from them.
Once I started drinking the water and cut down on the salt I could feel a difference, it did take about 4 days to really feel back to normal and flush out my system. I weigh in tomorrow so time will tell how I have done. I have been drinking that amount of water now for 10 days so we will see if iIhave lost anything.
Good luck and keep the water flowing!! HAHAHA Mary
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 14:56
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Hi Rosemarie.
Sounds like you're on the right track. You've already taken all the recommended basic measures to avoid/fight water retention:

Upping your water intake (although you could up it even more.)
Taking cal/mag/potas supplements.
Cutting down on salty foods (porkrinds, cheese, bacon etc.)
Exercising.

You ought to see some results soon.

If you have a stubborn water retention/oedema, you might want to try some dandelion tea, which is a mild diuretic. Not too often though.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/169/135 Female 5'6
BF:25
Progress: 15%

Thanks! My friend told me about dandelion.

I guess I have a problem with sodium. That would explain the huge jump in numbers. I was eating hot wings and then I looked at the sodium, yikes!! 550!!
Guess, I can't have those.

I do love cheese!!! My kids were laughing, I was making cheese soup, and topping it with salsa!! Guess I can't have that.

I am happy to report I do not feel hungry at all. The guys at work asked if I wanted pizza. I knew I would feel bad if I had it. I didn't crave it at all.

-R.M.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 08:08
Registered Member

Stats: 139/129/122 Female 62 inches
BF:!!!????
Progress: 59%

Glad to hear that you are making the proper changes that will help in your future successes. Sodium is a big problem!! And then drinking all this water to help metabolize the fat.......... uuuuggggghhhhh what an awful feeling. Hope to hear that these suggestions helped you out.