Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 14:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/145/125
BF:
Progress: 44%
Unhappy Help! I've Fallen off the wagon!

I've been on the Atkins diet since the end of July. However, with my busy schedule and a candy sale at school...I've cheated about everyday for the last month (i.e. a bag of peanut m&ms a day for 23 carbs a bag!) I lack the will power to stay away from the "cake and cookies" each day when available. However, my meals still consist of a salad or meat with vegetabe (no rice, pasta, bread, etc.). Anyone have any tricks, hints, or advice to help me through this awful time??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 14:55

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default candy

dang, i know what you mean. candy is the death of me. i do not want halloween to come. the girls are going to have to hide their candy from me.

do the best you can, and try to stay full on protein/fat so you don't want the candy. make rewards for you each day for not eating the candy.

we're all pullin' for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 17:32

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Ebeth:
School... are you a teacher or a student?

Keep prepared low-carb foods handy - not low carb *junk food* either. Peperoni sticks in your school bag/brief case. SF gum.

Don't eat boring LC food - fancy it up. Hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Make deviled eggs. Treat yourself to shrimp cocktail before dinner.

Plan your meals to involve something special and look forward to THAT special something as your treat.

The *addiction* part of crummy-carbs is what gets you to eat more after that first one. It's the first one you have to worry about. That's the only one you DON'T have to eat.

We had a bake sale at work today to raise funds for United Way - I contributed a high-carb *treat* (an apple cake) but didn't so much as taste it. I made sure to go down and eeewwwh and ahhh over all the submissions, but didn't eat a thing. It was like going to a high-carb museum. Look, but don't touch.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 18:00

Stats: 161/145/125
BF:
Progress: 44%

Good idea about rewarding for NOT eating the candy!! Thanks for the support!! I will try to find the time in between teaching, coaching, tutoring, etc., etc. to make some more exciting lc snacks. I guess I should start skimming over the recipe swap site. (I know, I know, MAKE time for cooking so I won't waste time being miserable later) I will also try to avoid the first bite, although Halloween is going to KILL me!!

#5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 18:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I haven't tried this personally, but Atkins suggests taking L-Glutamine in 500-1000 mg doses before each meal to combat sugar cravings. (Reference page 104 of DANDR paperback)
I also agree with LC Sponge - ALWAYS have acceptable food with you. If you are not hungry you will be less tempted.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 23:09

Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

I think that having good LC food that you like available to you when there is temptation around is the key. If it is easy to be good, it is easy to be good. (profound eh?)

Holly