Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%
Lightbulb I don't eat much. Will exercising help speed up weight loss?

I don't each much, because I get full very quickly. I eat twice a day, but I don't think I take in enough calories from fat. I keep my carbs at a low number. I am losing weight, but thought that by exercising, I could see more of a difference. Anyone out there notice a significant difference when you added exercise to your regime?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 04:29
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hiya Golden Girl!!

I'm surprised that you're losing weight at all if you're only eating 2 meals a day! Are you taking in enough calories?!? Have you tried posting your food intake on www.fitday.com to check? If you don't eat enough (10-12x your bodyweight in calories) then your body will think it's starving and start holding on to the fat you have! Not a good thing!! If you have stalled, that is quite likely the culprit.

I am losing very slowly....1/2 lb. a week at most. But most definitely exercise has helped keep the scale moving....not to mention boost my energy level about 10 notches! What do you like to do??
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 04:32

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

The answer is yes and not necessarily.

It may be that you are not taking in enough calories in total. The body can think it is in starvation mode and hang on to the fat.

I have tried giving my body a good talking to and have told it that there is another meal coming sometime but it does not listen.

I have been thinking of trading it in for a new model.

But, for the moment, it is on recall having its metabolism adjusted by a low carb lifestyle mechanic.

You should be eating approximately 10-12 times your weight(lbs) in calories. For you that would be about 1800 calories of which you will find about 50%+ at least will come from fat.

Check your intake by using a free site calledhttp://www.fitday.com

You can plug in exercise values as well.

Smaller meals, more often is better. Have breakfast, lunch and supper. Dont go more than 5-6 hours without eating. Drink loads of water and yes EXERCISE.

But remember with exercise and the additional protein you are eating, the body will begin to reshape and muscles will tone. You will feel great but muscle weighs more than fat so you do not need to rely on the scales so much. Take measurements instead.

So, for me, I am much fitter since I added exercise to my regime and feel energised. My weight loss is a steady trickle.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 06:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: I don't eat much. Will exercising help speed up weight loss?

Quote:
Originally posted by Golden Grl
I am losing weight, but thought that by exercising

You've got some excellent advice so far. I have this to add to it: You may be losing weight, but that is not the same as losing fat. Under eating, especially under eating fat and protein will result in weight loss, lean muscle loss. This will result in your body composition changing, more fat, less muscle. You may end up weighing less but in effect you'll be fatter.

Take the advice you've been given and run with it - you'll feel better, you'll be healthier and you'll end up leaner.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 07:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

And another thing...

Changing your way of eating and your physical appearance is not a race. Your body has an unbelievable memory and survival mechanism, one that you are completely unaware of on a day to day basis. It's only when you start to not nourish it properly that you notice. Your body will fight you back with a vengance. It's on automatic "terminator mode" and it will win.

Then you will become frustrated. You'll eat less and excercise more without the results you are looking for. Then you'll be bald from pulling out your hair.

Slow and steady is the way to go. Give yourself time to learn about your own physiology and behaviours. To make this work permanently, you have to be kind to yourself.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up Thanks for the info.

I already knew what you all were gonna say, because it is RIGHT! LOL I just have to make myself eat more often during the day to keep my body busy. I did go on the fitday web site and it is amazing. I just have to try it a few more times to get the hang of it. It's wonderful. I appreciate all of your advice, because it is coming from experienced people like all of you. I will be focusing on eating more....it's just that I get full quickly. That's my problem. And I don't have any cravings to eat more. I'm sure as soon as I begin to change things, I will see more results. Thanks again!