Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Pain in ribs right side? has this happened to anyone?

Hi
I have been low carbing since the end of December and I cheated this past couple of days. I am now experiencing terrible pain in the right side of my ribs it almost feels like someone is squeezing the life out of me when I move a certain way. Has anyone ever experienced this while cheating on the diet? or at anytime? I am just a little concerned.
any response will be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Vikki :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:02
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Vicki

Do you have IBS, I do (quite severe) and any sudden change in diet can for me cause extreme pain. Hope you are feeling better
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:17

Stats: 187/157/145
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Me, too!

I, too, have had pains on the right side at the bottom of my rib cage ... I was wondering if it has anything to do with the gallbladder ... on the other hand, it might just be from my new exercise routine.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default It might be nothing...

....but it might be something that needs attention. It's always best to seek the advice of your doctor if you suspect that something is amiss with your health. Pain is your body's way of letting you know that something is not quite right and should never be ignored. If it doesn't go away soon, I'd suggest a trip (or at least a phone call) to your doctor.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/240/165 Female 66
BF:55%/45%/20%
Progress: 46%

I agree that you might want to call your doctor. With that said, and bearing in mind that I'm not a doctor it might just be gas though, not something to be terribly concerned with (just another good reason not to cheat). I used to get it all the time, before LC, sharp stabbing pains in both sides and just under my ribcage, particularly when I moved. If it doesn't go away or the usual anti-gas OTC meds don't help, and you can't think of anything that might have triggered it, call your doctor just in case. You don't want to ignore gallstones, especially if you have any history of low-fat dieting. HTH Feel better!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 22:04

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Oh, my gosh!

When I cheated suddenly one time, I had the worse pains! I even went to the doctor and he thought I was having a gall bladder problem and sent me for a sonagram etc.

It was just that my body wasn't use the sudden influx of fiber I put in it. When I went back to my regular eating, it went away. But it still will happen if I change my diet suddenly.

I would check with the doctor if it is bothering you though.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 00:20
Registered Member

Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%

After a cheat or even eating the Artificial Sweeteners or bread substitutes, I find that I get incredible pain and major bowel problems. It is because our body isn't used to it anymore (or you may have developed an allergy)
It is just another incentive not to cheat, huh? (albeit a cruel one!)
(But now I can't have ANY sweets, even 'legal" ones) Too bad for me! Dommage!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 19:14

Stats: 305.0/234.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Thank you all for your reply

Well I strongly believe now that the pain was definatlry caused by the way I was eating. because I was fine while I was lowcarbing and as soon as I started to cheat I was having problems and by the end of the day yesterday it was extreme. The pain was still there this morning but it was going away. I restarted low carbing this morning and as I eat my wonderful lowcarb food throughout the day the pain starts to go away.

I guess my body is so use to lowcarb eating that as soon as I started filling my body with all kinds of sugar & flour that my body must have said "whoa what the heck are you doing?? I can't handle all of that crap anymore" LOL

I guess maybe that is a good thing I have even more insentive to keep low carbing so I don't have to feel that pain again.
I don't even know why I cheated anyway. it wasn't like I enjoyed it everything taste so much different than what I remembered them to taste like. I guess thats because I am so use to eating low carb and sugar free now.

ok I will stop blabbering on now.

im staying on the low carb train. I will look good this summer

Have a great day everyone
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 21:38
Registered Member

Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Question tightness???

Of course I'm not a doctor, but seeing the word "tight" makes me think gallbladder right away!! Just had mine out in Dec. and I LCed my way through the whole thing. I had a bad one before I started LC. I believe it was from so much very low fat eating I di for several years. This caused my gall bladder to sit idle and gather guck, make stones, etc.
Not sure of course and it could be gas, but could be a gall bladder pain. Don't worry if it is... it's fixable and not needed anyway. I feel great now.
Good luck!
Cheers,
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 01:02
Registered Member

Plan: general LC
Stats: 162/147/135 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 56%

I get the right side rib pain whenever I drastically change my diet. My doctor told me it was the gallbladder adjusting to pumping out varying amounts of bile...don't know if this is really the case or if she was trying to avoid expensive tests. I have IBS so any abdominal pain I have is usually attributed to that.

Hope you stay pain free!