Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 150/145/128
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default 'm kinda stalled and thyroid question

Hey guys, I started Atkins on 11/18, did Induction for three weeks and since then I have only eaten 25-30 carbs a day but this past week I feel really bloated and my belly sticks out much more than usual.
Typical Day
bacon and eggs
hamburger w/one pce cheese and small salad with Caesar dressing and one oz of pistachios on it.
steak and broccoli
jello and RediWhip OR an Atkins Endulgence bar OR a Carbolite bar.
8-9 glasses of Water
cardio 3-4 times a week and weight lifting three times a week.
I ate the bars during Induction and they didn't seem to stall me.
Regarding my thyroid, I have all of the classic symptoms of Hypothyroidism esp the NO energy part. I also did the thermometer test where you place it under your arm for ten minutes every morning BEFORE you get out of bed and you do this for three days. If your avg temp is below 97.5 then it's highly likely that you have subclinical hypothyroidism even if blood tests are normal. See http://www.healthynewage.com/339161.html
I have found a Doc in Dallas who believes in the thermometer method and I am hoping she will prescribe Armour medication for me because I refuse to take Synthroid. Anyone else have any thyroid problems? I feel if I can get my thyroid working properly then I will lose weight much easier. A little background on my med history. After getting breast cancer for the second time in 8/2000 I had a total hysterectomy in March of 2001 and immediately went into menopause. I have not felt "right" since then regarding energy, etc., and I turn 41 in March.
Thanks and sorry for the length.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 22:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I have only a partial thyroid. I had half removed in my early twenties, and although I've been tested many times, always are within normal range, so I've never been put on any medications.

I started Atkins on 11/20, so we're about even there. I stayed on Induction forever, with an occasional oops, but nothing major. I finally got the nerve to increase my carbs, and I'm still ok. Trying to lose at all is difficult. As you can see, I haven't lost much either. I went up about 2 lbs over Christmas and New Years, and only this morning got back to 148.

How long have you gone now without losing? Are you really stalled or just losing slowly?

I don't have any magic to offer, but encourage you to have patience.

Sue
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 07:39
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I'll bet that the ingredients in the Endulge or Carbolite bars are responsible for your intestinal distress. Stay off those for a week or so and see if that helps. Some people start off tolerating those things just fine but develop a sensitivity to them. They could be responsible for your slow weight loss too.

Are you on any type of hormone therapy? That can definitely complicate your efforts to lose weight too.

Hang in there....we'll help you all we can to figure out what's going on.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 08:59

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

I have been on Synthroid since 1991 and with all the trouble I had getting the dosage just right, I am not messing with it. I did try a few years ago to switch over to the Bovine Thyroid and it didn't work, so unless my endocrinologist changes me, I am staying with synthroid. Just taking thyroid will not help you lose wt necessarily. In 1996 I lost 47 lbs. in 5 months just eating low fat, the thyroid situation was the same then, so I know it can be done. Usually the full blood profile will catch it, if it includes a TSH. I tell you, hypothyroidism is miserable but so is getting TOO much. I think most of us with this problem will just lose slower and we will just have to accept it in order to feel better
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 16:44

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default thyroid

Hi! I am hypothyroid and have been on Synthroid for 15 years. I am having alot of trouble losing weight. I am on my third week of induction. I am staying on induction until I start to see some improvement. I also have a problem with candida - that can stall weight loss, too. So between the two, I am sunk. It is very discouraging. Today when I got on the scale, I was back up to my starting weight. UGH!! It is most likely water, because I haven't cheated once, and I am extra dilligent because of the candida. I hope your doctor gives you Armour. I have heard good things about it. I might just beg my doctor to let me try it. Good luck to you, and let us know what your thyroid test results are, and what meds were given.

We can do this! (right?)

-Jess
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 05:14

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Bloating can also be a sign that you've eaten something to which you are either allergic or sensitive. If you think that may be the case then you can go on a self-controlled allergy/sensitivity diagnoses diet (which can be highly boring, but useful) If you know what your blood type is you can look up what your blood type may be sensitive to and start eliminating those things.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 08:24
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I did a lot of research on thyroid and weight issues when I first got serious about losing weight. One of the things I found out was that even though my thyroid levels are "normal" my TSH was high according to some new studies that are out. Apparently the TSH should be between 1 and 2 in order to lose weight. I went to my doctor armed with these new studies and talked him into upping my synthyroid levels to bring my TSH level down. My doctor was the one who suggested the lc eating plan. I believe it is the combination of lowering my TSH and changing my eating that has allowed me to lose 25 pounds so far.

Here is a great site on the thyroid:
http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Stats: 3??/3??/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:0000
Progress: 8%
Question how do I read replies to my message

Hi I am new to this reply and post. Once someone replys to my post how do I retrieve the reply? I am a bit confused on this.. I have been searching for a reply that someone left me. If anyone can help let me know. by the way I hope that you all are having wonderful low carb days!!!
Oregongirl

Last edited by oregongirl : Mon, Jan-20-03 at 17:11.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:35
Registered Member

Stats: 3??/3??/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:0000
Progress: 8%
Red face

Guess what ??

I figured out how to read my replies!!! yeah... just a little slow

must be my thyriod acting up !!!!!! lol

Oregongirl