Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 224/213.0/145 Female 5.6
BF:??
Progress: 14%
Default What type of scale do you use???

My scale sucks. I hate it. It is a very nice scale, but it is not accurate. (I'm not just saying that!) It is a THINNER brand, it is made of glass, with a small wooden base and 4 metal circles where you are supposed to put your heels/balls of your feet. It is a very modern type of scale. It is not digital. This is why it sucks... This morning I had to adjust it to go to zero. Then I stepped on it with my right foot first, I weighed 227. When I stepped off of it, it didn't go back to zero, it was on 7. So, I reset it, stepped on it with my left foot first, and I weighed 213. I do this about 3 more times, write down each different weight it gives me, divide it by 5 and that is how I determined my weight for today to be at 219. So, I just take the average of whatever it tells me... Of course, I know this is not the most scientific thing to do, but I work with what I've got... But I want to get a new one... So, my question is... what type of scale do you have??? Please give me the brand name, and type, and price if you know it... Or, if you just think I should step on my scale with my left foot once, and go with that weight, let me know!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:40
Living Healthy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

Mine isn't digital either--probably not too much better than yours.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 13:48

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I have a Tanita digital scale. I think it is close to the scale at the health club I belong to and also to the Tanita scale they have at the Weight Watchers locations. My scale weighs in .5 pound increments. I would love to have one that weighs in .2 pound increments.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 14:07

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I have a Sunbeam Health o meter HDL200. It was quite inexpensive. It's digital and weighs in .5 pound increments. I find it to be consistent and accurate, weighing me about what the doctor's office does.

I always use it on tile, BTW. It doesn't work on a soft surface such as carpet.

Oh, and FYI: A recent Consumer Reports article mentioned that the ones that measure body fat are generally wildly inaccurate and/or inconsistent.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have a Health o meter 840D-01 digital scale that measures in 0.5 lb increments. It seems fairly accurate and has lasted for quite a few years with only a battery change.

If you want real accuracy, then get a balance beam scale like many doctor offices have.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:16

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I've decided that once I reach goal I am going to get a digital scale so I can moniter my weight.

When I was using my parents digital scale I found it a bit obssesive. ... things like 'breaking 60kg'. I wrote about this in my journal, and really am glad to be free of it!

I don't own a scale but roughly moniter using a scale pretty similar to yours ( a friends) - pretty accurate but not precise. I weigh once a month or so, stand on and off and get a 2kg range fixing the pin a bit, and get 'the gist' - have I gone down. I broke 60 thats for sure, don't know by how much.

I would go insane using that scale more regularly then once a month becuase it wouldn't show any small losses!!

To me, o.5lb increments are too small for my sanity. I prefer 'the vibe' approach!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:21

Stats: 221/221/190 Female 5'7"
BF:49.5%/48.5%/25%
Progress: 0%

I have the Tanita body fat scale that goes in .2 lb increments and has 2 memory settings (to keep height and age of 2 people programmed). I think I paid ~$60 for it at Bed Bath and Beyond. I believe it was on sale. I like it- I'd just like to see if it can read lower weights!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 20:38
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

The scale that works best for me is the Publix Weekly Scale. Once a week, on Saturday, when I do my grocery shopping, I weigh myself on the scale at the Publix supermarket.

If I had a scale at my house, I would drive myself totally weird obsessing over every tiny gain or "stall" or hiccup in my weight. The Publix Weekly Scale works for me! But this is my second time doing Atkins (only this time I won't go back to the flour and sugar goodies! I feel too good!) and I find I just don't obsess as much this time. I know the weight's coming off, even if the scale doesn't always show it.

Best wishes to those of you who are more precise--and may you soon find out how low your scale goes, Christa!

Nancy
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 23:34
Registered Member

Stats: 200.5/190.5/140 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have a new fangled digital scale that seems to get moody every once in a while. I get on it at least 3 times in order to make sure it reads the same weight at least twice. I was stepping on it on a daily basis and obsessing over each day's tally. My husband noticed my obsession and decided to stash it in the top shelf of a really hard-to-access closet. He gets it out once a week and now I have to satisfy myself with figuring out what clothes I can fit into again. I'm wearing a pair of pants I haven't fit into in months!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:22
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

I have a Tanita that I bought some years ago. It has 4 buttons which can be programmed with 4 separate profiles (for 4 different people). I like it.

-Mike
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:21

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just bought an inexpensive scale because I didn't trust my other one, I'm constantly having to adjust it. The new one shows pounds and kilos, no more conversions to make. I am thinking of putting it away and only weighing in weekly, it's getting obssessive everytime I go to the bathroom I weigh myself
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:39

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

i use the blind scale haha. i've thrown mine away and just go by the way my clothes fit. i will weigh myself once every two months max, when i go home to my parents' house. they have a digital tanita scale, and i want to focus on the muscle/bf % rather than the numbers. i think scales are quite addictive.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 09:33
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

I have a digital scale which so far seems to be pretty accurate (although the one in the doc's office says I'm 3 pounds heavier).. I don't think the scale is my problem though, its more me being obsessed stepping on it daily...LOL.. I have read a lot of post in here saying that you shouldn't weight more often than once weekly...Now, I have to start practicing that myself..
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:10

Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%

I have a "Thinner" scale, too, but it doesn't sound like yours. They have a bunch of different models. I don't think there's a way to adjust this one. I bought it on line from www.msiusa.com
and so did a friend of mine. I'm thinking it's the company that makes them...anyway, mine's perfect--always right on, no matter how many times I get off and on it. My friend's got little kids, so her's got tossed around some--she called the company and they sent her a new one! (Dang, I thinks she's done that twice.) Might be worth a call. Good luck!

Patty
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 11:22

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I have a digital health-o-meter HDL110 which weighs in .5lb increments. It cost about $30 at Walmart. It's very precise in that I can get on and off of it a few times in a row and it will read the same reading each time. I believe it is fairly accurate as it is only a couple lbs off from my doc's scale.