Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/207/150 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question High Blood Pressure Medication

Does anyone take atenenol for high blood pressure? I was talking
to one of my co-workers and she told me that this medication slows down your metabolisim and makes you gain weight. I am taking 25MG twice per day. Any info would be appreciatied.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I am on vasotec but have still lost 30 lbs, albeit slower than some. Can't help you with your medication.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 18:43

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 338/334/175 Female 5' 9.5"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Talk to your doctor! He/she will know the side effects different meds cause. There are several different kinds of HBP medications, and you may be able to switch to a different kind if necessary.

However, NEVER NEVER stop taking meds of any kind just because you think you may lose weight faster, especially just because a nonprofessional told you so. You could have a heart attack, stroke, kidney damage and a host of other irreversible and even fatal consequences from letting high blood pressure go untreated, and I'd rather be fat than drooling in a nursing home bed -- or looking "almost lifelike" in a coffin!

Gina
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 19:36

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Tanna,
It's good for you to ask questions, and just lilke StarStuff said, ask your doctor. Please! Great advice, StarStuff.
Tanna keep taking your meds. The doctor went to school for at least 12 years to get the right knowledge for you to treat your body well. Be good to your heart because it works so hard pumping that blood.

I too am still on high blood pressure med, even though now my doctor said it's now normal. It dropped 10 pts in each level since April. My med is 1/2 tab a day of hydrocholorothiazide. It's a mild diuretic and the doctor has given her blessings for both Atkins and the meds. Until she says "Stop", I won't.

The other thing to remebmer about hbp meds is there are 3 different types and many kinds within each category. this is at least worth a call to the nurse, ok? Please let us know what you find out. You've got great support here, Tanna!
Hugs, Annie-Pie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:19

Stats: 207/207/150 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have asked my Dr. if the meds will make me gain weight and she said there is no evidence to prove that it does. So to me that indicates that it is possible in some people.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:27

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I take atenolol as a beta blocker 50mg per day. Before Atkins my legs were so swollen (which is a side affect of the drug). Since I started Atkins my legs feel so much better. I used to have a hard time squating or kneeling because it would feel like my skin was about to burst open, that is how tight they felt. My doctor did tell me that atenolol does seem to slow metabalism in some people. My goal is to lose enough that maybe I can stop taking the drug. That is, when my doctor tells me it is ok. I take it for heart palpatations and I have noticed a large decrease in the palpatations since I started Atkins. I can't wait till my yearly exam in October so she can see what I have done. She had given me a prescription for xenical last March but I could not stand the side effects and I wasn't losing anything so I started Atkins on my own. I know she will be impressed. I know I feel so much better.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 15:32

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I have asked my Dr. if the meds will make me gain weight and she said there is no evidence to prove that it does. So to me that indicates that it is possible in some people.

Actually, it could just as well mean: weight gain has never been seen in patients who take this medication. We just don't have any proof that it doesn't.

If you need this medication then you have to take it. LCing does tend to reduce many of the conditions for which it is prescribed, so it may be the best path to follow.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 15:41
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I took atenolol for 10 days and gained 1 pound everyday. I was switched to propranolol. That was right before I restarted atkins, I didn't gain anything on propranolol. After doing atkins for a few weeks I no longer had to take the medication at all.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 16:09

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I take propranolol for tremors...for some reason beta blockers seem to help with that. I do know that for me personally, being on a beta blocker and birth control made weight loss a lot slower. In fact, if you are trouble-shooting a stall, it says in the book that both of these meds will slow or stall your weight-loss. However, it's not hopeless (32 lbs now!). And definitely keep taking the meds. Good luck!

~Kelly Deneen