Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225.5/214.5/190 Male 5ft10in
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Picking the the time....

Hi friends, I've decided to start my low-carb program shortly, but I have two concerns (minor concerns at that) on the timing of my start decision....

first, I've read a lot of postings that say that during the Induction phase, it's not uncommon to feel terrible, the problem is, I'm in the midst of studying for a huge 6 hr exam which is on May 31st, and I'll need all my energy/focus for studying and the actual exam....so how bad are the feelings in the 1st 2 weeks, any recommendations...??

Second, June won't be a good start time for me either, because among other events that I have, it's also my birthday (read: party time)....so, my second question is, does anybody have any aalcoholic drink ideas that I can try after the 1st 2 weeks, other than the beer I ussually drink, and love so much......

Thanks....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:05
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi and welcome!

I understand your concern! Wow, exam AND party , that's a tough one.
First of all, the withdrawal symptoms are very individual and it's impossible to tell how you will react. I did not feel so horrible at all, but I was tired and irritable.
I'd say - do lots of research, stay here with us and begin when the stress is fairly over. I would do that. Some weeks don't matter much and 27th june is not so far away - I'm sure once you begin you'll have a great success.
This forum is great when it comes to support and advice, surf it as much as you can. Try my links below for example.
If you want to talk to me, just come by my journal, the yellow icon below.
Take care!
Alina

Last edited by Alina : Wed, May-14-03 at 10:07.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 11:27

BF:

Thanks Alina.....well talk about stress, I just found out that I've got an interview for something really important in the next two weeks as well.......Whew.....

I'd really rather get started right away because I'm anxious to feel healthy again...(like I was 2 yrs ago)......so I think I still might give it a shot this month.....(can you saw crazy????)......

Any ideas on the drink thing, I heard Vodka has trace carbs, as well as Tequila, but what do you have them with....?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 14:44

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hey there Birthday Girl!

I had no bad feelings at all durring induction. I think only a few people have these problems, and only for a couple days, not the whole two weeks or anything.

About drinking I've heard clear, hard liquer is okay. Stay away from beer, and juice-type mixers. Mixing with diet cola is okay if you are willing to have a little caffine (but some say caffine interferes w/ Atkins) otherwise club soda is safe as a mixer. I don't do much drinking myself so this is based purely on what I've read and common sense.

Jamian
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 22:36
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

no, no alcohol at all on induction.
After that in moderation, which in fact is self limitig - alcohol and this way of eating just don't mix. I've heard it here too many times and unfortunately experienced it myself - 4 glasses of wine and I'm knocked out! Of course the level of tolerance is individual, but it's LOW, way lower than before.
Beer is a biiiig no-no, so are any sugar containing drinks.

Well, It's your decision, just make sure you have only legal foods at home and plenty of choices from it. Don't start this with an empty fridge

Best of luck and hope to see you again!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 07:17
Registered Member

Stats: 167/158/125
BF:
Progress: 21%

I had similar dilemmas has you do when deciding to start Atkins. I did have terrible side effects from the carbohydrate withdrawals such as nausea, fatigue, and pains in my leg. But I don’t think they were that bad that they would prevent me from studying for a big exam (I’m in school to so I understand!). But during the 2nd week of induction I felt great! My addiction to caffeine went away as did my cravings for sweets. So I wouldn’t start induction the week of your exam in case you experience side effects. But everyone is different and you might not have any side effects at all.
I enjoy drinking with my friends. So when I started Atkins, it was difficult for me to cut beer out of my life. But after induction, you can drink Michelob Ultra (2.6 g carbs) or Miller Lite (3.1 g carbs) in moderation. As for LC mixed drinks, I suggest: diet coke and rum, diet tonic water and vodka, diet rite tangerine and vodka, and diet 7up and vodka. I’ve also heard diet Snapple Raspberry and vodka is good. Most hard liquors have no carbs. Usually bars only carry diet coke and no other sugar free mixers. I’m on my way to becoming a vodka connoisseur !
Good luck!

Jen
167/158/125
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:42

BF:

Thanks for the feedback everybody.......that's great, I'm thinking I'll start during the first week of June, this way, the induction pahse will be done before my birthday, and I can have something of a good time
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 15:09
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good luck on the exam! Treat yourself when you're done to a healthy (read low carb) lifestyle!