Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%
Default WW Friend wants to LC!! YAY!!!!! Now, Help! :)

Here is what my friend wrote to me:

Quote:
okay, you have peaked my intrest more - especially with the your loss, and the woman's testimonials...

I am concerned about the chances of getting more fat in my diet, and thus having clogged arteries, etc. What are the medical risks in this diet? Do I have to eat stuff like eggs, steak and pork rinds ?( blech! )

Is there a "pasta alternative" as I don't really like meat or eggs. I do LOVE cheese though

if you don't mind typing your heart out, could you fill me in more?

I've been LC for almost 5 months... and all I do is BRAG about it! But now I am nervous... she's been doing WW and now she is interested in Atkins! Can anyone help me figure out what to type back to her?! Anything will help me to "type my heart out" as she kindly puts it!

YAY! I am really excited for this opportunity! Please help me convert her!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:40

Stats: 246/198/180
BF:?/35.2/31
Progress: 73%
Talking

I should add that I have some GREAT recipes to pass on to her... but most of them involve meat or eggs.

In my opinion this diet is all about protein and veggies. I'm not sure how she can LC without meat or eggs. Seriously. I saw a link someone out there on the web about a Vegetarian Low-Carb diet. I didn't read it... or save it. Does any one have any opinions about that? I do not think my friend is vegetarian! She just doesn't seem to like meat and eggs.

Also, I will totally begin by telling her to buy the book. I'll suggest Atkins (because I am on it) but I will tell her that there are a lot of different low-carb plans out there that she can try, until she finds the one that will work for her lifestyle.

I am not sure what she means by "pasta alternative". I think I had just posted in my (other) journal about the new Keto Spaghetti that I tried and LOVED... so if she is looking for a pasta substitute... then that's it. But she can't LIVE on that... you know. Can she? I mean, in place of meat?? I wouldn't think so... but I could be wrong.

Then again... the pasta has 22 g of protein... so its not like she'd be lacking there...

I also sense some concern from her re: the Fat in this diet. OF COURSE, that is the initial thinking for the most part... for ANYONE who begins this WOE. Any words of advice on how to ease those fears? I can point her to parts of my journal where I talked about this lowering your cholesteral, etc.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:56

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

I've been reading your post, went away to "think", and then saw you added the fact that she's probably not a vegetarian. That's good.

How about fish? Fish is pure protein too. She must like something besides pasta. Even on WW she had to have some protein in her diet.

As you know, even cheese must be somewhat limited, but you could go on and on about various fish with sour cream, or melted cheese, yummmmmm!

I'd really encourage her to pick up the book, or you could send her a copy as a gift. Explain that each person has to customize this WOE to meet their own needs.

Atkins explains that even a vegetarian can do this, but it's very hard for them.

She's concerned about adding fat to her diet, but that's the most facinating part of this. That fat is not a bad word. Again encourage reading the book, or perhaps going to http://atkinscenter.com/ and looking at the information there.

OF COURSE, recommend this site for all the encouragement we give each other.

Hope I've been some help!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:58

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

OOH, OOH! How about lobster or crab legs dipped in butter!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:29

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by SueJ
OOH, OOH! How about lobster or crab legs dipped in butter!!!

Order Up!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 23:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have an idea, but it might be a little expensive. I think that lots of people think Atkins is the "only quack who advocates low-carb dieting." If you could prove to her that he is not the only person, the only doctor, who thinks fat is good for a person, you might convince her more willingly.

If you can't afford to buy her more than one book, like Protein Power or SugarBusters, in addition to the Atkins book (which I do prefer), perhaps you could take her to a bookstore and begin pointing out to her the large numbers of plans that now exist for low-carbers.

I just went to Borders this evening to look for a low-carb cookbook (special needs section of the cookbook section), and found many more than I expected. In fact, I found so many that I decided not to buy one from there and see if I could manage to get one through this site (recommended by posters, perhaps), because there were so many I was afraid I'd buy half a dozen and end up with the worst six.

Also, Dr. Atkins is a CARDIOLOGIST!!! This was VERY important to me because I'm a heart patient, 3-year survivor (in March) of a triple bypass. And, when I began this way of life, I was scared to death to make the wrong move with my health - afraid it would literally finish me off. Instead, it has saved my life.

Good luck with your friend! If she tries this, she will be so surprised and will probably thank you for the rest of her life.