Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/190/170
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Frying Meat and other foods

Is it alright to fry foods --- or is that bad? I'm concerned about this low carb diet and what it does to the heart and clogging of arteries if I eat to much fried low carb foods ---
Thanks
Murrey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 13:32

Plan: Radiant health
Stats: 210/168/150
BF:
Progress: 70%

I do not profess to be an expert but ,as a rule, I grill. If I fry I tendto use Olive Oil or Butter.
I am led to believe that heating oils can affect the qualities so I tend to grill where possible. Similarly be careful not to burn the food as I think this is not recommended either.
You will get fats after grilling but not to the same extent and
remember you do need a certain amount. Hope this helps and I
any other comments from other members welcome.

JD
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 16:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'm concerned about this low carb diet and what it does to the heart and clogging of arteries

If you had a new and high tech piece of equipment that you had never seen before, I'm sure you would read the instruction manual before using it.

Rule #1 of following the Atkins diet is reading the new edition of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. Did you know that Dr. Atkins is a cardiologist and not a "diet doctor"?

While dieting is something that almost everyone does and almost everyone diets with misinformation, (why else is everyone still always on a diet?) to actually change your eating habits for life, you gotta read the book.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:02

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Lightbulb New Atkins

Hi Karen, I had a very old copy of Atkins and today I bought the new version. Excellent reading. Am very exited to lose 5 lbs. in five days!! I know it'll slow down but the fast loss is very motivating. Not hungry at all. I mostly grill because it tastes better but some things I pan fry. Whatever tastes best.

Bye for now, Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Murray,

I would say it depends on what kind of oil you are frying with. Avoid oils with transfats and go for those "good fat" oils such as canola and olive oil.

good luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 08:44

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Frying meats is perfectly safe providing you are following a low carb diet. Low carb is not low fat, or should not be completely low fat. You will find this in the book and read the science behind it. When you do fry you should only use Olive Oil or Butter, stay away from margarines and vegetable oils. Hope this helps. But again, Karen's info regarding reading the book is best. There are other areas on this forum that you can find more information regarding this just use the search function on the top and you should find some threads regarding your questions.

Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 09:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

We had an excellent discussion on the topic of frying a while back. Here's the link: To fry or not to fry? - A discussion on cooking fats

Karen