Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Touchy Question for 2 & 3 timers.

This is just an honest genuine question that I want to ask, to those who have lost lots of weight, then regain it plus more.

What was it that stopped you, from stopping yourself , once you started to gain back the weight you worked so hard to lose?

I'm sitting pretty much at goal and it frightens me when each day I check this forum and I read of people starting over again, after gaining it all back.

Did you get away from low carb eating all together?
Or did you keep at a certain carb level and it just stopped working?

Not sure if I've worded this well, but I'd really like to hear some stories of why people let it happen.

Thanks Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Interesting question and I can't wait to read everyone else's posts regarding this.
I'll start off with giving a little background info before I begin, or "my story." When I answer the question, realize that this answer will be part what I thought then and what it means to me now in hindsight, so my perspective then wasn't as clear as it is today.
I was working one day when a fellow co-worker/friend asked me to start a diet with her. I agreed. We even bought matching lunchboxes for our new healthy low-fat journey. We failed, and actually I think it was less than a week. Anyhow, one day she brought this book to me (DANDR) and she was SO excited ..saying she truly thinks she has the answer for us! I was at the very least skeptical and not only that, I wasn't in the mood to try another diet yet. She finally convinced me and we took turns babysitting "the book", made copies and such. We finally started. I think here's part of your answer here. I read about 2 chapters and then got my induction list copied. I never bothered to read anything else, didn't take supplements, and never ate anything from that time on while losing that wasn't an induction food except nuts.
I was doomed right from the get go in hindsight because I didn't even bother to find out why it works, how my body works, or anything regarding the other parts of the plan. I just figured once I got done losing, I'd eat "in moderation" again, my favorite high carb foods.

Okay, back to my story. I lost, oh boy did I lose. Weight just seemed to melt away, I lost my cravings and I had ENERGY! It was honestly the first time I'd lost more than 10lbs on any diet. I lost to almost my goal, which was about 70lbs at the time.

I passed cheats off totally. I was very proud. All new clothes. I passed many occasions up and ate only what I was allowed on induction. Till Thanksgiving that year. So here's another part of your question. I decided, look at me, I have been SO dedicated. I deserve to "cheat" this one day. One day turned into about a week. Then another. I got back on induction again, but it was never the same. I just couldn't seem to break the addiction again. I couldn't get past my carb cravings no matter how hard I tried. I barely hung on till Christmas, then another blowout. I am not sure how long it took me to get back on it, but it was still winter. I clawed my way through yet another induction and lasted till Spring. I was trying to lose the pounds I'd regained. I just couldn't do it anymore. I simply gave up. I would off and on say ...okay tomorrow, I'm going to start again. Tomorrow turned into the next day and next week and next month........

I regained it all back plus 20lbs. That was 3 years ago.

Now a little more of how and why I let myself do it. As I stated, first off, I wasn't doin Atkins, I was doing a list of induction foods period. I didn't know anything about my body or why this diet was working. I just knew it did. Also, I had no plan of action. I didn't read the rest of the book, didn't even know what a critical carb limit was. Nada. It was like playing a game of football and I had only a plan of offense, no defense.

Secondly. This is where hindsight comes into play. I now know I am a type C responder per DANDR. I am a carb addict. I don't get to have pie and dressing on Thanksgiving. I do not have the ability to have a little and get back on program. My body's reaction to carbs is paralizing and overwhelming. I will always have a list of foods in my life that are a threat to my body that I have to accept. I didn't know it then.
Thirdly, I never approached this diet as a lifetime change. Of course I didn't, I didn't know anything about my body. I wanted to lose weight and didn't think about anything past that obstacle.

Well, so for now, that's what comes to mind. I am sure that's more than enough, sorry for the book
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 11:00

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Oh, my. Your stats are close to mine the first time I did Atkins in '98. I started at 175 and ended at 135. My story is easy:

Got to goal when I graduated with my bachelors degree in Dec of '98. It was wierd , working so hard to acheive (both degree and weight) these and then it felt as if I had nothing to look forward to. Well, got a job as a PR Manager at an Internet Start-up (stress) and started having to eat lunch in a new environment, Started having crap for lunch now and then, crept up to 140-145 and thought no big deal. Start-up fell down and got ANOTHER job at an agency, working on the Apple Computer account. Major stress...Lots of working lunches, LOADED break room (free snacks, even beer in the fridge for us!). Went up to 150-155 (no big deal, I'll start again any day).

Got a new job closer to home after 10 months of that, and again, working lunches, "bagel Wednesday," Kings Cake during Mardi Gras, etc. Went up to a size 12 and about 165 (Really need to restart Atkins, maybe next week). Then DH hit 28 and after seven years together, started going out all the time and "wasn't sure if he was marriage material." Helped myself to lots of pasta and plenty of wine, thank you. Hit 175 and didn't give a s**t anymore (when he leaves me I will go back on Atkins...). Well, we worked it out and we are still together. Then I got LAID OFF in 2001. See the pattern? I stayed at 170-175 and a size 12 until last year, when my metablosim again blessed me with its silent changing and I gained 36 POUNDS IN SIX MONTHS and was diagnosed with high blood pressure (WHAT??!??!). I don't own a scale so I wasn't quite aware of how much I was gaining (hey my pants are getting tight...must have shrunk in the wash...). When I got on the scale at Curves for the first time in Feb, I was floored...209. Never have I been over 200. Not even close. I got a good routine going for a couple of months, then buckled up and went on Atkins Induction again in May. I am around 191 right now, and still going strong.

Now, you might think I had totally forgotten LCing, but no, I was a couple days on, a couple off this whole time, and never went back to sugar. Sometimes I would be LC for a few weeks, then I would break down again. That is probably the worst thing you can do...Think you can eat "normal" again. I now own both DANDR and Atkins for Life and I know I will always have to be conscious of what I put in my mouth. ALWAYS.

Hope this sheds some light as to why some of us regain after successfully losing all we wanted. All I can say is life happens and (obviously) food isn't the answer...

Happy LCing!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 11:12

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I really look forward to people's stories. This is my first time, and I'm SO afraid of what will happen when I reach goal. I'm a hardliner on cheating but that's becuase I am afraid that I will have a bite and not come back to this for months or even years. And I don't want that to happen. I also don't want to blow my one 'golden shot'.

And I (think) I want my old comfort foods. It makes me very sad to think of never having some of my favorite things ever again. I hear that tastes change, but I haven't tried them so can't say.

I cannot express how valuable this site is in self-educational, but also a fun way to make the LC journey. It would s**k doing this all alone.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 11:18

Stats: 185/170.5/145 Female 63in
BF:39%/34.7%/24%
Progress: 36%

wow. its really encouraging hearing that i'm not alone on this one. i don't really know anyone who is doing this WOL where i live, so its almost like i'm some kind of wacko cult health freak who still looks fat to them even though last year i said this crazy HIGHFAT way of eating was my ticket to health. not only did i blow it and make it much harder for myself to lose, i also made it harder for others to believe in the plan. they "knew all along" that a diet like this could never work. and sadly, i proved them right. but not again!

shelly, IthinkIcan, my story is almost identical to yours. CONFESSION: carb addict. i smell pasta and turn into a slavering maniac. i feel like i'm honestly going to die if i can't have some rice when i watch my husband eat it. i start shaking, feel tense, the works. it reminds me of watching my mom get off heroin.... (funny, how heroin is illegal but sugar is applauded as perfect for every ill- even cleaning your hair and scrubbing your skin, perking up your veggies and giving you energy! wasn't the coca plant lauded for similar boons at the turn of the last century??? hmmm....)

keep up the good fight! we can do it!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

Well. after going on atkins without reading the book, and just listening to the advise of my low carb friends, for almost 1 year, shy 1 week, before I cracked.

I did good for many months then hit a 5 month stall, this really pissed me off, but I know realize its because I had too many cheats that slowed it down.

Then on my b-day this year, I went off a bit for some Frangelico Liquor, and partied all night long. went back on sorta the the few days then I had a party for my bf, turned 40, and was off since then which was July 12., started back on Sept 2.

But I didnt just go off the plan, I went nuts, and high carb gorged dailey, every ,meal. fries with everything, [potatoe chips every night, so I should be happy I didnt gain it all back. I still have not weighed myself to be sure, but according to my clothes im guesing at 15 lbs,,, and major inches, bras are even tight.

But Im back, and I think this time I will do it to goal and move on to mait.

#7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Stories are chillin' me, they are so true

Hi all!

I have read your stories, and they appear to be the same for all. I suffer the same problems. I have LC'd lost 8 pounds, stopped taking diuretics, gained 17, started just watching my calorie intake, gained weight, on and on it goes.

I tried WW's thinking it was just watching calories and low fat, but I continue to climb a pound at a time.

Sometimes folks who are well meaning state it is crazy to be on ATKINS, etc...........afterall, they exclaim, "YOU gain it all back" - (how positive to hear!?)

I am writing to say I am right with you all, not sure what to do, not sure what diet to pick, etc......I have tried this diet so many times.........

Thanks for the stories, and advice as well.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:25

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Ohter threads about this subject

Kathy, may I recommend two other threads related to this subject? I have just read them yesterday, you might be interested in them. Both among the "Best Of" threads.
Self-sabotage. Why? Who do you stop?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=82629
Why quit LC WOE
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=6755
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:50

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Human nature

I've watched myself and others "fail" in other programs, and basically, we quit doing what works because we don't realize that it matters. How many heart patients start out careful, exercise, quit smoking, the whole game, and gradually the old behavior comes back?

The trick, I think, is to come to understand how much of the things we do really MATTER. I wouldn't be surprised, I hope, when my teeth fell out, if I quit brushing and flossing every day. But I'm surprised when I gain weight when I quit using the stairs, and the gym, and walking the dogs, and eating what I know works.

And I know that insidious pound creep. If I woke up 20# heavier tomorrow, I'd probably take emergency action. But that's not what happens. It comes half a pound at a time, and I only really notice at closet-change time, when last year's summer dresses don't fit so I don't hang them up. Or when I wear sweats rather than jeans.

I haven't fallen off LC. I have regained tons of weight on other programs, mostly because they weren't sustainable. Hoping that between my being wiser and this WOE being sustainable, it will be different this time.

I'm even thinking of giving away my most-fat jeans. Not quite ready yet, though. Maybe I should set a year anniversary.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:10

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

When I lost my weight the first time and got to where I wanted to be, in my mind, I could take a lot of restrictions off of myself. And that is where it all went downhill. It started by me just saying well maybe I will just eat right 2 meals, and have a free meal. Then later on I was having 2 free meals a day, then for some odd reason, when I looked up from my face buried in a bag with double burger, super sized fries, and a large coke, I had gained 20 lbs. So I thought, okay well I will just cut those 2 meals to one, but you know what my mind did, it laughed, and I chuckled w/ it saying oh 20 lbs is not that bad really. I just won't let it get out of hand. I won't go over that...Needless to say 70 lbs later, I looked in the mirror, and I cried until my head hurt. How could I have been so so CRUEL to MYSELF. So cruel to my body to where I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes w/ back pains, not being able to play w/ my son b/c his mommy couldn't keep up w/ him. To not recognizing myself in the mirror, in pictures, or anywhere I happen to catch a glimpse of myself.

So in January, I decided to handle my issues and not let my issues handle me. I haven't looked back since. Not to say I have not had my slips, but instead of letting a slip allow me to lose grip on myself, I just hold on even stronger b/c I know that it is me who is ultimately is in control of what I do.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

well i had lost alot of weigh on my first time doing atkins, mainly because i didn't have any carbs, i just ate tuna. my sister noticed how skinny i got and on one impluse moment she force feed my chocolate! i had the chocolate taste in my mouth and i couldn't stop, i ate all carba in sight, i thought i could some how trick my body and i wouldn't gain wieght however after that day i was shocked to see how much weight i gained, so i stoped eating because i was scared. anyway after a year of starving and bingeing, i realised i'm a carb addict and finaly went back on atkins, i think i had to "fall of the wagon" in order for me to realise how right this plan is for me, however i wouldn't suggest it to anyone, the weight comes back so fast and if your not adaptable to change like me, it may cause depression, ect..
good luck everyone
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:11

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I just plain old self sabatoge. When my life is easy - I just cruise on this WOE! When I hit stress, Im like..Screw it... I dont care if Im fat...I want that 'whatever' and Im going to have it... see her, she's bigger than I am, and she seems ok... she doesnt care if she's overweight - why should I?

Those are just a few of my high carb demons rearing their ugly heads!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/22
Progress: 0%

This one really hits home for me... I had gotten down to 158 (my lowest every) and was within 15-20 lbs of where I thought I would be comfortable....

then I started the new job 2 years ago, a year later I was 168 (like Shelly said, not so bad, I just need to get on strict intervention phase), then this summer 178... hey I don't look like I did in the pictures of two years ago... (better get back on track).... every morning for the last three months (I need to get through the whole day today, almost did it yesterday)... and the weight keeps creeping back on.

It is a sick kind of out of control feeling that I keep trying to get a handle on... the worst part is that I know exactly how carbs make me feel and exactly what they do to my weight, and yet I still don't stop. And it's not like I am completely off track, just enough to sabatoge myself.

So what do we do to get back on track and keep ourselves there?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 20:28

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
A woman I worked with introduced me to Atkins. She said it was the greatest diet ever. I was skeptical and just listened to her rave. Well, one week later, she came in the office complaining about foods she wasn't allowed to have. She'd come by my desk complaining about this food and that one and off to get coffee with the guys and all the while, you could hear her complaining down the hall to the bakery. I don't think she ever really did it bc she NEVER lost any weight. By the time I changed jobs, she had gained an additional 20lbs.

I sat at my desk wondering about that maybe I should try it because my size 12 jeans were so tight, I wore large sweaters to cover my poochy belly. She told me which foods to eat and which not to eat. I started that evening before my evening class and within a week my jeans became loose. I went out and bought the book and read and read and read. A month later I was a size 9 and she started complaining about how dangerous this WOE was and that I could seriously damage my kidneys. I told her to read the book. She said she had and that it was still dangerous. Well, another month passed and I was down to a 7/8. She hit the roof when I walked in the office in a mini skirt (which sat in my drawer for 2 years bc I couldn't fit it).

She would find ways to smirk at me and tell me I was putting my life and body in peril. I went for a check up at the VA clinic and the nutritionist started on me about damaging my body and metabolism. The guy I was dating told me I was beautiful and my body was beautiful, but he kept offering me things I didn't want to eat. My lab work came back with 100% improvements. The nutritionist kept up with her rantings.

The co-worker's DH called the office looking for her and before I could take his message he stated "you know she's very jealous of you because she didn't stick with it" I listened but didn't say anything to him or her.

After months of listening to the nutritionist and my ex-bf, I slowly went off of it. The weight didn't come back too fast, but it came back. I was so depressed because the bf kept finding fault with me and finally broke up with me (good riddance).

I came back July 2003 and will NEVER listen to naysayers again. I don't want to place the blame totally on them though, bc I didn't fully grasp the concept of permanent weight loss....after a couple years of feeling ashamed of my body and a size 14, I am proud to say I am back in a size 12 and once I'm back down to 7/8, believe you me...I'm stayin'!

Last edited by Linda Love : Thu, Sep-04-03 at 20:31.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 00:05

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Thankyou to everyone for taking the time to post here, some very interesting patterns.
I can relate it to how I have wanted to lose this weight for so long, everyweek for months and months, I'd think O.K., I have to do some thing about my weight, [I]Next Week! well next week would come and go.......... This is my first diet I have really been on and the only time I have ever lost more than a couple of pounds. I have not been overweight all my life, just the last 8 years or so.

I think many readers can learn from the stories here.
I told my husband last week, I don't ever, ever, want to be overweight again for as long as I live. For me I feel lucky, I can really take or leave high carb foods, I think those who really have that craving for it, have a far bigger struggle then those who don't.

Thanks for the links as well, Cheers Kathy