Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 23:02

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Changing my program; can someone double check it?

Hi guys. I've been doing BFL for about 6 weeks now and loving the results. I had wanted to change my program every 4 weeks but that didn't happen so I guess every 6 weeks should be fine. I think I have chosen my new exercises but would love some feedback. Also I heard mentioned you can change up exercises you're already doing my changing position, etc. How would one change up dumbell deadlifts? I really liked them. Also, it is enough of a change to go from calf raised on the machine to one legged raises on the same machine? Here is my program:

Quads: compound: old=leg press new=barbell squats
isolate: old=leg extension new=leg extension w/new foot angle

Hamstring: compound: old=dead lifts new=lunges
isolate: old=lying curl new=continue lying curl (is this ok???)

Calves: compound: old=standing leg raises on machine new=1 leg
isolate: old=angles new=seated raises

Chest: compound: old=chest press machine new=dumbell bench press
isolate: old=fly machine new=dumbell fly

Shoulder: compound: old=dumbell press new????????
isolate: old=side raises new:upright row

Triceps: compound: old=cable extension (not really compound) new=dips
isolate: close grip cable extension

Back: compound: old=lat pull new:reverse grip pulldown
isolate: old=dumbell row new=seated row (any other ideas???)

Thanx for reading all of this!! Any feedback much appreciated. I'm excited to change things up! I'll be doing lower body tomorrow. I didn't bother to list my ab exercises.

--Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%

Have you ever tried leg curls with a dumbbell? Those are killer. You lie on your stomach on a bench with your knees slightly over the edge. Have someone put the dumbbell between your feet and curl it up as if you were doing a leg curl.

Also, to change deadlifts a bit...try unilateral deadlifts. Take a dumbbell in one hand and stand on the opposite foot. Kepp the leg straight and lower towards the opposite foot and then back up (be sure to keep lower back tight just like other deadlifts). It is a great isolation exercise variation of the deadlift.

For a compund shoulder movement, just switch the dumbbells for a barbell and do military press.

For an isolated back exersice, get an incline bench and angle it to about 60 degrees. Face the bench and sit down to where your chest/stomach is on the bench. Take a dumbbell in each hand and row them up. This is basically your dumbbell row only changing the angle!

HT, if you have wquestions on any of these exercises LMK

Sporto
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 10:04

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thank you so much for the tips! Those all sound like I great exercises. I never thought of using the barbell for shoulder press. Yay!

--Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 10:20
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
For an isolated back exersice, get an incline bench and angle it to about 60 degrees. Face the bench and sit down to where your chest/stomach is on the bench. Take a dumbbell in each hand and row them up. This is basically your dumbbell row only changing the angle!

Thanks Sporto!!! It's nice to find an isolating back exercise other than a pullover.

I find it easy locating compound exercises, but hard to find isolating exercises. Anyone know a good resource for varieties of isolating exercises? For my purposes, I don't find www.exrx.net that extensive when it comes to isolating exercises.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 11:38
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Cindy, I did the same thing. I was planning on chaging my routine every 4 weeks, but ended up doing it at 6 weeks. I think your new routine looks pretty good. With Sporto's comments you should be on your way.

Sporto, Thanks for all the good ideas.

Wanda, One of my favourite resouces is Bill Pearls book, "Keys to the Inner Universe". It lists what must be a thousand or more exercises and variations with drawings of each. The explanations are a little brief and the drawings simple, but it still gives a lot of ideas.

Arnie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 11:46
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Arnie:

Thanks for the info. I have Bill Pearl's book, but it doesn't list isolating vs. compound exercises. It's pretty old so I'll have to check out the newer version to compare.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 13:29
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Hi Wanda,

I see what your getting at now. I don't think I've seen anything that lists exercises as to being compound or isolating.

I think some body parts are more dificult to isolate than others. For example biceps and triceps are pretty easy to isolate. But something like the upper back has to have other muscle groups, like biceps and shoulders involved to work it. Maybe I'm getting to picky or don't really understand the concept.

Arnie