Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Questions on Bernstein

Hi everyone,

I just finished reading the book. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping experienced members could answer.

1. Does splenda fall into the same category as packets of equal and sweet n low, which apparently contain glucose and are to be avoided? The book may be pre-Splenda and it's not specifically mentioned so I was wondering (and hoping it's ok).

2. Lantus. Again not mentioned, as I think it's too recent. He gives opinions on long-actings, saying some are good and some are bad. Has Dr. Bernstein issued an opinion on this?

3. I perceive a kind of dillemna for type 1s. When Bernstein talks about the "chinese restaurant effect", as I understand it he is saying when you eat a lot, your body will release glucagon. So don't eat a lot. But he also recommends that Type 1s not snack. Yikes. What's a hungry type 1 to do? Seriously, though, I haven't seen a lot about really watching the quantity of food on the forums - any thoughts on this?

4. # of shots. Bernstein says you shouldn't take more than 7 units in one syringe in one location. For those who need more, he wants it divided up. I am having trouble even contemplating the idea of taking my current evening 35 units of Lantus as five shots. Ouch. Is anyone doing this?

Thanks for your comments,
Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Deb!

I'll try to answer at least a couple of your questions. The questions on the specifics of insulin are a bit beyond me, but you can try checking Dr. Bernstein's website to see if there are any updates to help you there or you can send them a question directly. The website is www.diabetes-normalsugars.com
The Splenda in the box and packets does have a filler like the other sweeteners in packets, so you would have to count the carbs in it if you do decide to use it. The granular Splenda in the box has 24 grams of carb per cup and the packets are usually counted as 1 gram of carb each. Otherwise, you can use the tablets like Dr. Bernstein suggests. There is a push to get liquid Splenda (which has no carbs) available to the general public, but it may be a while before it happens. Liquid Sweet-N-Low might be another option.
I believe that Dr. Bernstein recommends that type 1's not snack because of the additional insulin requirements that it would present.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:12

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Re: Questions on Bernstein

Quote:
Originally posted by djorg
1. Does splenda fall into the same category as packets of equal and sweet n low, which apparently contain glucose and are to be avoided? The book may be pre-Splenda and it's not specifically mentioned so I was wondering (and hoping it's ok).

I used to use Splenda by the truckload. Recently I noticed changes in the consistency of the powder. Then I was pointed to the Splenda petition which explains that they adulterate it with all kinds of carbohydrate laden fillers. Now I boycott Splenda and use only stevia as a sweetener. Please sign the petition below to add your voice to the thousands clamoring for a truly no carb Splenda. (Look at the ingredients list on the package. Sucralose isn't even the first one.)

http://www.petitiononline.com/Splenda1/petition.html
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 01:08

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

If you snack on a high fat snack (such as macadamia nuts, or pork rinds and cream cheese, or butter sprinkled with cinnamon), it shouldn't add to your insulin requirement. I find it takes just a little of a fatty snack to satisfy. If you keep it to 1-3 grams/carbs for the snack it shouldn't hurt. You'll eventually get to a point where your bg levels out and the 'hungries' won't bother you much anymore. The most 3 grams should affect you is 15 mg/dl.