Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/202/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default In Ketosis but not losing pounds?

I am in my second week of induction. I have been following the rules very strictly. After not losing for the first couple of days I gave up my diet soda with aspartame and the atkins bars. So far I keep bouncing with losing 4 pounds and gaining 2 of it back. I bought some ketosis sticks and last night I tested and it was almost at the darkest purple. Yet this morning no drop in weight. Can you be in ketosis and not lose pounds? How long do you have to be in ketosis before losing pounds? Please explain this to me.

Thanks,
Keri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:49

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I don't think atkins bars are recommended on induction!
Veggies and fat - yum yum
I read somewhere that Diet Rite is ok - haven't tried it yet as I am also on induction day 5 and am following the rules. Also my plan is to only weigh once a week!
Any inches lost? I have seen on these posts that many times inches are still lost when weight is stalled?

Last edited by djcarbno : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 14:05.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 16:16

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revol
Stats: 223/223/190 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi

Hi there, I have read about those ketostix so much yet I have never bothered to use them. I have read that if you had eaten a very fatty meal then the ketostix will register you in ketosis when you are really not in it. If I were you I would ditch the stix and weigh in once a week. If you stress over the stix and what not then you will get discouraged and may fall off track.

Good luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 18:24

Stats: 270.4/263.2/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdofrekeri
I am in my second week of induction. I have been following the rules very strictly. After not losing for the first couple of days I gave up my diet soda with aspartame and the atkins bars. So far I keep bouncing with losing 4 pounds and gaining 2 of it back. I bought some ketosis sticks and last night I tested and it was almost at the darkest purple. Yet this morning no drop in weight. Can you be in ketosis and not lose pounds? How long do you have to be in ketosis before losing pounds? Please explain this to me.

Thanks,
Keri

Keri,

How much water have you been drinking? And have you been eating all of your 20 net carbs? I haven't and many told me that it can actually work against you (I guess it's the whole your body thinks its starving and shuts down thing).

As for the strips people that have been on Atkins for a while tend to not use them anymore due to the lack of consistency (the readings can be skewed by how much water you'd had, what kind of meal you had last, what time of day etc.)

And lastly (phew I didn't expect to write this much!) you're supposedly allowed to have the Atkins Advantage products, just not the Endulge items, since Induction is meant to curb your sugar cravings. I'm paranoid about the "hidden carbs" in those bars anyway, they taste just too good to be true. And often times diet products are often recalled when they do a REAL inspection of what's in them (i.e. Skinny Cow's, Pirate's Booty, etc)

Hope that helps!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:10

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Keotosis just means you are burning fat primarily for fuel, nothing more. So yes, you can be keotosis and not lose weight - by having an excessive food intake you could be burning the fat you eat, and none of the fat in you bod.

In regards to the Atkins bar, many people find they are no good - so it was a good idea to give them up. Try to do a clean induction - remember that Atkins is a company now, not the man who pioneered the diet - be suspicious of any frankenfoods even if they have Atkins co written on them.

Further, treat the keotosis sticks like a pregnancy test - it really doesn't matter that you are the 'deepest purple' or the 'most pregnant' becuase your water intake will effect the reading so much. For more information on the sticks read the article on this site under 'low carb tips' I think.

It is unusual to not lose in induction, but it happens. I would suggest the following.
1. Drink more water - if you are testing 'dark purple' that makes me suspicous. You may feel like you are drinking a lot, but drink more. You need to flush excess water out of your body and, if you are in keotosis, those keotones.
2. Stop weighing yourself! I know we all crave the 'success' that the scale can tell us, but really, it leads to the sort of 'I tested dark purple last night and today I haven't lost anything! There is a problem!' when really, maybe things just take time... Why not set a date a week or so for now when you will weigh yourself? In a week or two you'll almost definitely have something to register
3. If you continue not to lose anything you could be in for a fat fast, outlined in the Atkins book, or there is heaps of other options discussed in the Tips and Stalls section of this website about Stillman, etc, and other options.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:49

Stats: 202/202/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I was worried about the excess fat during a meal messing up the strips, so I tested first thing this morning and it was showing moderate ketones.

I have been drinking 64 ounces of water a day which I thought is what was recommended.

I read about the fat fast in the book and I don't think I could pull that one off. I might as well go back to the low fat dieting if I have to resort to that.

I took my measurements last night so I will start keeping track of that but im seriously starting to feel discouraged at this point.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:28

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdofrekeri
I have been drinking 64 ounces of water a day which I thought is what was recommended.

It is the recommended minimum... But I drink that much before lunch. Also, if you are eating salt, or drinking coffee, or a glass of wine, you will need MORE water.

I have a 1 liter water bottle that I just keep next to me all day. I'm always sipping from it. It's much easier to drink water spread out during the day, rather than trying to chug it in one sitting.

--nw
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/200.5/165 Female 5ft 7 in
BF:
Progress:

I'm kinda like you. Doing the induction thing, exercising and drinking a ton of water (75-80 oz) - the strips are always pink or dark pink but no movement on the scale - I'm not panicing because I started exercising the same day I started Atkins & when I started it was the week before TOM (meaning this week is TOM) ---- Not a good time to start this program & expect to see the scale go down. Besides even though the scale doesn't show it, I feel it in my pants. And it's from exercising & building muscle... So, I think it's a combo of things for me,
TOM & exercising that has me not showing weight loss on the scales. I'm not beating myself up over it --- wait until TOM is over & then look at the scale. Besides, I feel great & I'm doing things right, I figure the lbs will shed - I need to be patient. I didn't get this way over night & it ain't gonna come off over nite!!!!