Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Post Dress Sizes

Just a quick question that I hope someone will be able to answer for me. How many pounds do you have to lose to get into a different size. I'm down 21 lbs but I'm still fitting into my clothes, just much better. I do tend to wear a lot of elastic stuff so it will last me a lot longer with my ups and downs. So how much poundage can a lose and be in a new size? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 10:11

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Unfortunately (unlike shoe sizing) there is no universal regulation for womens clothing sizes. A size 14 at Kmart WILL be a size 4 at a high end expensive department store...there are sometimes reasons for this and sometimes it's just up to the manufacturer. Generally within any one brand I would guess that the sizing is fairly evenly spaced (each size is an equal amount larger or smaller than any other) but between designers and manufacturers no such agreement.
Back to your question. More difficult is the clothing style/dress style. Certain dresses are more forgiving in certain uh, "areas" allowing for you to gain a good 15 pounds in the rear, but because it's an A-line dress, you'd still be able to wear it without much notice....now on contrast, take something spandex from neck to hem and even a pound or two will make a tremendous difference in wearability.

Can you see why this is a tough question to answer?

I've always wondered why women don't get together, boycott clothing manufacturing and insist that there be universal sizes. For example a size 8 at walmart would be exactly the same measurements at a size 8 from the lands end catalog - but then again, the style of the garment and the fact that it is to the manufacturers advantage to make a wealthy woman feel smaller in a more expensive dress that reads a size 2, when a less fortunate kmart shopper in a very similar dress looks into it and reads a size 12. Go figure.
Years ago, sizing was much smaller...womens bodys are physically larger now (each generation is slightly taller/larger than the previous - look at your parents for example) and companies know this...and they know that no one wants to buy a larger size pant if they don't have to...it's a tricky world out there and please try to remember, you are not a number -

Also, don't go by your old clothing either - sizing practices change and reflect the wishes of the buying public too - know that 10 years ago, what was once a size 8 at THE GAP is the same pant, but NOW it is called a size 6...pretty tricky huh?

go by how your body feels...if you feel better, your clothing will eventually fit better because you will treat yourself/feed yourself better (the general gist of it).

And, are you in a hurry? Hope not. Some folks lose very slowly but steadily, some quickly in spurts stops and starts.

A dress is a size. I do not believe there is a standard, "drop 10 pounds and you drop a dress size" mantra in most cases. Generally, just losing the weight should be the reward in itself - think how much healthier you'll be (not just how much smaller).

...oh gosh - don't even mention JEANS!!!
N

Last edited by nsmith4366 : Sun, Dec-01-02 at 10:17.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 11:06

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I think too, that it depends upon how your body carries the weight. I am at 180 and I am wearing a size 18 (just) - I know from others on here that at 180 there were wearing much smaller sizes. Height also plays a factor - I'm only 5' 4''

I was very frustrated about this size thing for awhile - I started out at a 24 or 26, and didn't get into 20/22 for a good bit. I still have some 22's that I wear - since same as you - I tended toward stretchy and elastic waistbands.

Talon ... a "fluffy" 179.5.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: Dress Sizes

Quote:
Originally posted by mkathy6
Just a quick question that I hope someone will be able to answer for me. How many pounds do you have to lose to get into a different size. I'm down 21 lbs but I'm still fitting into my clothes, just much better. I do tend to wear a lot of elastic stuff so it will last me a lot longer with my ups and downs. So how much poundage can a lose and be in a new size? Thanks.

For me, it's more than I've lost. Yes, my jeans fit better, too, but I can't quite zip the next size down. I feel pretty good about not ripping out the side seams of the ones I'm wearing, but look forward, a bit anxiously, to being smaller in ways that show.

Something I did, and it's very vain but it helps me, is to print out a picture of me from before the diet and tape it to my mirror. It is an extremely UNflattering picture, showing every bulge of my face, all the double chins, etc. When I see that picture next to my current face, I can actually see a difference for myself. Not only that, but some of my friends have seen it and gasp in amazement - they hadn't realized the difference, either, because they see me frequently.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 03:37

BF:

Thanks everyone for your replies. At least I know I am not alone in my confusion. I am hoping to lose quickly, but I've decided this is a WOL for me. I actually just realized it on saturday when I was at the gym, another member questioned me what would happen when I went back to eating normal. I let her know this was normal, the way I was eating before was not normal bagel for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch and pasta for dinner. Can you say carbo overload. So now i know I am in for the long haul. Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 18:48

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Talking FYI....

I was talking to a clothier person last week about clothing sizes. They told me that in women's clothes there were actually 4 different size charts:

Misses
Womens
Teens
and I forget the last on.

But a size 16-18 womens is a size 22-24 Misses....

Now you go figure!

Dee

#7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 03:59

BF:

Ok I can't stand it, now I am not even sure what size I wear now! Hopefully not for long anyways. I am just looking forward to the day when I can shop at a regular store and not a plus size. I few months away, but it is my goal. Wish me luck on the journey, and thank you all for your input.

Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 12:15
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Just to confuse things even further, according to the measurement's chart in the Lands End catalogue, a size 20 misses is a size 18 womens. Lands End seems to think that there is a discrepancy of one size between misses and womens.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 12:45

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Most places seem to have this same discrepancy. I know that I could wear and 18/20 misses and fit in a 16 from Lane Bryant. Now that I'm in 16 misses', the Lane Bryants don't fit right anymore.... Plus sizes seem to give a little more room in the lower stomache, and thigh area than misses do....

Just my 2 cents.

Kate