Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 15:20

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%
Question Tummy Tuck, what do you know about them?

My doc said I MIGHT need a tummy tuck. He said that my skin was soft and he did not think it would firm up much more. What do you know about them? I have never really thought about this kind of thing, I always thought I was age gracefully but my belly looks terrible.

Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 15:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/134/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

A friend of mine (who had twins, is petite and had a lot of exra skin) had a tummy tuck done. She said that she had extra skin removed, some muscles were pulled back together and sewn and then her tummy was tucked. She mentioned that it was very pricey but definitely worth it! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 15:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Dunno if you get the channel but discovery health channel has a show called "Plastic Surgery Before and After" that follows patients through the process and even shows the surgery. They've shown patients who lost hundreds of pounds get "body lifts". Pretty amazing process.

Anyway, you might look to your tv guide and see if you can find it. Its quite informative.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 15:42

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

you can also do a search, just type "tummy tuck" in your browser, you can even narrow it to where you live as well - there are sites that have pics, before and after, as well as cost, information about post op, etc.

Vikki
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 22:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%

My mom had a tummy tuck last year. She had been 204 lbs and went down to 145 and had a pooch of skin left over. The doctor tightened her abdominal muscles and then removed excess skin. She had 3 kids be cesarian so she has the same scar that travels across her hips by her pubic area. She also had a bit of liposuction around her hips to contour her midsection further. My mama is HOT...she has always been beautiful but I think the confidence she has now makes her spark her even more. I'm the one who drove and picked her up from the surgery and I can tell you recovery was not a pretty picture. She had drains in her sides for about a week and she had to wear a special girdle to reduce swelling. It was a few days before she could stand up straight. I'd say it was about two weeks before she wasn't cursing herself for doing it. She tells anyone who asks her that she wishes she had done it sooner...not waited until she was 40! Good Luck and defintely do your research on the doctor you choose. Don't choose your doctor by price! Look at the doctors work and photos of previous patients...your paying for their experience and expertise! When it comes to cosmetic surgery and yourself it is no time to bargain hunt.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 22:37
Registered Member

Stats: 214/130/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I'm looking into getting one. I've lost quite a bit, but still have this nasty belly roll. It's small, but squishy and kinda lumpy looking. (I told you it was nasty ) My abdominal muscles are fine, I just need to get rid of the excess skin and fat.

Even when I was a teen and ran everyday, I had that stupid belly fat. My mom has it (even when she was 105lbs she had some) and my grandmother had it too. Weird.

I'm seriously jealous of anyone with a nice stomach.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 00:32

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i went from 360ish to 190 and had one done - it was the best decision of my life.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 01:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/160/140 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 78%

this tummy tuck thing sounds very scary :P I am scared of the knife.. would exericsing work? i am so scared too if i lose to my goal weight (that's 80 lbs difference) my tummy skin will be hanging down my knee?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 04:07

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Just do a search - you will find a ton of information as well as before & after pics. I plan on having one done along with a boob lift when I reach my goal!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 05:11

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

Ive noticed that my tummy is firming up a little but if I dont start seeing those abs under there (and I know they are there because you can totally feel them when you run my tummy) I am going to get one.

Last edited by GrooveJock : Fri, Jan-14-05 at 12:03.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 06:06

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 237/236/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

don't get it done if you are planning on getting pregnant! A tummy tuck does not allow your stomach to stretch and will cause complications. Otherwise if you've accepted the risks and cost go for it, I've seen some amazing results.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 07:48

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

Thanks everyone. I will be 35 this year and we have had all the kids we are going to have. I have looked at some befores and afters and done some reading. The thing that concerns me the most is the recovery time. I am a stay at home home and I need to be able to take care of my kids. Lifting and that kind of stuff. My husband would be able to stay home for about a week but I would not ask him to do more than that. I will have my consult and see what he says. I think I would rather have my thighs worked on first.

Thanks again,
Kat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:14

Plan: low carb HCG
Stats: 200/159/150 Female 5 5
BF:YES it is!!
Progress: 82%
Default another option

I responde to another thread about this yesterday. There is another procudure that might be an option. I had a (guessing at the spelling here) Penekelectmy. It is usualy an outpatient procedure and does not include surgical tightening of the muscles. Basicly you are cut form hip to hip and the "curtin" as my dr called it is pulled down, excess is cut off and you are stiched back up. I was able to move around the next day, very slowly. I did use prescription meds for 2-3 days but I didn't think it was so bad. I did have drain tubes for about a week and you have to wear a guirdle that they put on you as soon as you are stitched up for about 6 weeks. It was a dream come true for me not to have that horrible roll of fat hangin there. I think most dr do some complimentry lipo in combination with this and a tummy tuck. Check out your doctor carefuly, there are some horror stories out there. I need to get my before and after surgery photos on here.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:15
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun keater
Just do a search - you will find a ton of information as well as before & after pics. I plan on having one done along with a boob lift when I reach my goal!

Yeah, those would be my two dream operations if I could choose. But I hate the idea of non-critical surgery, I don't know if I could ever go through with it.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:16
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiec68
I need to get my before and after surgery photos on here.

Yeah, I'd love to see those!