Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:21
Carb Nazi

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%
Default Potassium Help

Hi everyone:

Doing well so far, sticking to my 10 - 15 carbs a day, walking 3 to 4 miles four days a week and have lost 14 lbs in three weeks. I feel great as well. I am only drinking about 40 oz of water a day and have had to take a mild laxative on and off for obvious reasons. I take a blood pressure medication that has a diuretic in it. I am 41 years old and still about 55 lbs overweight.
I had chest pains about 6 months ago (turned out I simply strained my heart muscle lifting something) but during all the tests I was told my potassium level was low. The emergency room put me on a very strong potassium supplement for two weeks and told me to follow up with my doctor, but of course, after I found out through my EKG, etc. that I was still healthy as a horse, I didn't do it.
Now I am worried about my potassium levels on the Atkins diet. I realized I am getting almost none in my diet. The only thing I eat that has any of significance is cottage cheese which has 150g in 1/2 cup and I eat that every day, but supposedly that is only like 5% of the RDA. So, I bought some potassium supplements today but they only have like 90gs each and I would have to eat about 20 of them a day to get 100% of the RDA. It recommends no more than 3. I am also taking a daily multi-vitamin.
Again, I feel great but I know that potassium regulates heart rhythm and such and I don't want to have a heart attack during this process.
First of all, is there anyway on the Atkins diet (outside of a prescription) to intake enough potassium? Secondly, am I concerned about nothing? Would my body "tell me" if I was too deficient? Thanks for any direction you can give me... mad
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:36

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Since you are so correctly aware that potassium is an important electrolyte which plays a role in water balance and heart rhythm, I must advise you to PLEASE ask you doctor this question. Since you are on BP meds and a diuretic you have to be very careful! Too much or too little of potassium can be very harmful. Keep low carbing, but ask a trusted physician who know you and your medications, ok?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 20:01

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

People on ACE Inhibitors should NEVER TAKE potassium supplements so you do need to talk to your doctor BEFORE taking any. Other heart medications REQUIRE extra potassium. The diuretc makes you excrete potassium so you may need a supplement, either over the counter or prescription, BUT your levels should be checked regularly by a doctor.

The reason the potassium supplement tablets are so small is that one SHOULDN'T take more than 3 per day. That could be dangerous. DON"T TAKE MORE THAN 3 per DAY!!!!! There is more potassium in foods than you think so you may be getting enough without taking any extra.

Dr. Atkins said that using a salt substitute was enough for most people in Induction. It is so bitter that you can't eat enough to be harmful. So how about using No Salt or Half Salt - they're in the grocery store beside the salt.

If a physician in an ER has told you to follow up with your doctor, then PLEASE CALL YOUR DOCTOR. You may be playing with your health by ignoring those professional medical instructions. This board is no place to get medical advice.

On the side, I have never heard of someone 'straining their heart muscle by lifting something'. But then, I am not a medical professional. So please discuss this with your own physician. I hope you will be alright.

Last edited by tofi : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 20:02.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 20:42
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
The reason the potassium supplement tablets are so small is that one SHOULDN'T take more than 3 per day. That could be dangerous. DON"T TAKE MORE THAN 3 per DAY!!!!!

Actually that's not quite true, tofi. The reason the tabs are only permitted to be sold over the counter in doses less than 100mg, is because more can upset the tum.

People with normal kidney function can take extra potassium with no problem. The kidneys simply excrete any extra.

But, and it's a pretty big but, in this case I totally agree that you need to check with your doctor and have a potassium level done.
As you are taking diuretics, you either need to take prescribed potassium, or refrain completely, depending on the type of potassium you have been subscribed. Your doctor will advise you on that.

As for the amount you are getting in your food, try putting your day's intake into www.fitday.com then go to "reports." You may be surprised just how much potassium you are getting from your food.

As a licensed health professional, I am very concerned that you would ignore the ER's advice to check with your doctor. And have you had the blood tests (eg kidney function, cholesterol) that Dr Atkins recommends? In your case, I think it's essential. Please see your doctor as soon as you can.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 21:19

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I totally agree with the sound advice above!

Three years ago, I ended up in ER. I thought, at the age of 39, that I would never come home to see my family again. The chest pains were tremendous.

One check in the ER with heart monitoring and blood work found the culprit: severe potassium deficiency. Have no clue what brought that one, except the light went on for me how I had been having leg cramps for the past few weeks.

They pumped that potassium into me faster than Smokey Bear can put out fires.

Please, please, please. See you doctor! You only have one heart.
Hugs, Annie-Pie

Last edited by Annie-Pie : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 21:20. Reason: Typo
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:37

Stats: 307/260/200
BF:
Progress:

My wife is also on high levels of prescription potassium (The liquid kind). She's been able to reduce the amount of liquid she has to take by drinking the Atkins shakes. They have about 600-800 mg of Potassium each, depending on the flavor...and they're chock full of other vitamins as well, plus a lot of fiber.

I think some people on the boards had problems with stalls from them, but she's had no problems. You might want to check them out.

Jeff
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:55
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Thanks for all the caring responses! I took your advice and am seeing the doctor on Friday... Mad