Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/215/185
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Veggies Help

Hi I have read the Atkins book and understand good veggies are good for the diet. But I'm a bit confused on what to actually eat. I have never been a big veggie eater but mostly ate peas, green beans, corn etc.. And do not know a lot of the ones in the book.
I know peas and corn have too many carbs in them. But can you have green beans? I like them. Are there any other basic veggies you can have? I do have romaine lettuce in salads from time to time. But not a big spinach fan or beat green fan. Please help what easy veggies can I add to a daily diet?

Thanks for your help,
Corey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 12:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

A few choices:

Asapargus
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Green Beans
Cabbage
Eggplant
Green pepers
zucchini

Corey, you can get more info from www.atkinscenter.com - click on Induction

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BodyRx
Stats: 209/169/150 Female 67 inches
BF:43%/32%/24%
Progress: 68%

Hi there...

I've always loved veggies so focusing on them hadn't been a problem for me... but here are some of the ones I regularly eat. Maybe this will help!

- brocolli and cauliflower (steamed or sauted with butter, lemon -juice, salt and pepper... or with cheese sauce)

- cauliflower is also excellent mashed up (cook until very soft & then blend with butter and garlic - almost like mashed potatoes!) or shredded & fried (look up Karen's cauli-flied-rice recipe in the recipe section on this board)

- celery sticks and cream cheese (daily snack for me, lots of fibre)

- grape or cherry tomatoes (I eat plenty of regular tomatoes too, but find the little ones great for snacking. Be careful about having to many though cuz tomatoes have more carbs than some other veggies)

- made "lasagne" the other night, only with eggplant slices instead of noodles. It was SO good. If you'd like the recipe, send me a PM.

- have you tried asparagus? It's one of those veggies that people either love or hate, but I love it. It's great sauted with garlic, butter and lime juice.

- green beans are fine as well

- mushrooms! (fried with butter - yum)

- zuchinni. I'm not too crazy about this one by itself, but I often include it when I make stir fry dinners.

- bell peppers -- again, great for stir fry dinners

- spaghetti squash ( this is a good veggies for tricking yourself into believing you're eating noodles. I've made spaghetti sauce to pour over it and love it. Also good for casserole dishes)

Um... I think I'm about tapped out!
Hope something there tweaks your interest!
Not sure if you've bought any low-carb recipe books yet, but they've been a great source of ideas for me.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 12:14

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

Mmmmm zucchini simmered in an electric fry pan with a few slices of plum tomatoes, some onions and lots of parmesan cheese.

::drooling:: Too bad my eyes are bigger than my stomach!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 12:46

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sounds great !

Hi all,

Yumyum. Putali and UAGirl, you made me hungry. Sounds great. I'm gonna invent an eggplant lasagna someday. Sure it won't be as good as yours, but I'll bet'cha it's good.

Thanks guys.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 290/290/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default cauliflower

hi putali and everyone else on this thread

was just wondering how many carbs there were in your cauliflower mash? not much of a cauli fan but thought i should try it

cheers

april
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 08:57
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

CoreCore

have you tried your spinach raw in a salad, I happen to love it but if you don't, you can put enough dressing on that you won't even know you are eating salad, that's how I get lettuce down

#8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BodyRx
Stats: 209/169/150 Female 67 inches
BF:43%/32%/24%
Progress: 68%

Hi Flossie

It depends on how much cauliflower mash you're making, of course. But one cup of cauliflower is 5 grams of carbs, minus 3 grams of fibre... for a total of 2 grams of countable carbs.

I don't really measure the cream too accurately (just put enough to get a nice consistancy)... but I doubt it's more than 1/4 cup, which is another 2 grams... and then one clove of garlic adds another gram. In total, you're probably looking at no more than 5 grams of carbs for one serving. I suggest measuring everything you use and plugging it into fitday.com to get an accurate carb count.

Also, remember to squeeze out all the moisture you can from the cauliflower before you blend it (after it's cooked).... that will give you a thicker consistency.

Hope that helps!