Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Dead Stop! Help!!!!

HELP! Ive been doing Atkins about 2 months. I had Gast. Bypass surgery 2 years ago. Believe it or not even with this surgery you DO NOT lose all the weight you want. They only guarantee 40%. I lost from 278 to 161 and started Atkins at 161. Two months later I stay between 141-143. I have tried Fat fast, protein shakes, upping carbs, lowering carbs, increase exercise, increase water (yuk) and NADA!. I do my Gazelle 30 min a day, drink 10 8oz glasses of water daily, 20 -25 carbs is my max. Somedays I cannot reach 20 carbs. I cannot eat a whole lot of salad, or Veggies. I have to be careful because of my surgery. Tried spinich last night, did not stay down because it is so stringy and mushy it sticks to the pouch and makes me sick. HOW ON EARTH DO I BREAK THIS! I even thought about switching to a low calorie diet but I've done so well on this. Since I started using the Keto protein shakes it seems my weight stopped. BUT I also cant seem to get enough carbs on some days. Any bread I eat is purchased at health food store 5.99 a loaf and has 2.35 carbs (max one slice a day if that) Anyone got any suggestions? I might mention I also have problems digesting meat so I have to be careful what I eat. I usually eat my chicken or meat on a salad like a taco salad or grilled chicken green salad. Im about to give up!
Thanks,,,,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 10:43

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

shakes stall people. Lose the frankenfoods. Stick with natural items and log foods into www.fitday.com that should help you
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:12
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Since I started using the Keto protein shakes it seems my weight stopped.

You answered your own question. I am with DianaO on this one. Cut out the frankenfood for a while and see it that helps.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:

OK Im new what is frankenfood guys? Sorry, to be so stupid!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Have you considered that your body may be resisting your efforts becuase you are where you should be? 140 pounds is certainly within range for your height - and perhaps your body is trying to tell you this.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Frankenfoods are any low carb products -- bars, shakes, candies, even LC breads and tortillas and such. These foods tend to stall A LOT of people. Basically, try to stick with the naturally low carb foods rather than commercially manufactured reduced carb versions of high carb foods.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 19:42

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Not stupid! I had to learn it too! Frankenfood means man-made: Certainly your protein drink qualifies, but bread also might be called Frankenfood. The contrast to Frankenfood is whole food as it comes from the animal or the earth - veggies, fruits, meats, fish, milk, eggs - no processing other than cooking! The number of stall threads I have seen that ended up with that recommendation is dozens!

Other ideas: allowed fruits, whole grain cereal (like Bob's red) that is just ground grain, with milk or water. You could try adding cheese, yoghurt etc. - the dairy industry cites that dairy helps dieting and for me it certainly is good - and it seems with your other restrictions, and I believe some is also allowed with Atkins.

But just don't be impatient - stalls are normal, especially when you are within 10 lbs of where you want to be. Read the book again about the end phase! Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 09:29
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts.

One...measure yourself, get a baseline...a LOT of people change "shape" when they exercise, but not weight. If you look better at the same weight, that's a GOOD thing. You might be losing inches instead of lbs. Muscle is heavier than fat.

Two...you did drop 20lbs....if you "give up" you'll gain it back.

Three...get on fitday if you're not already and keep your foods, in detail for a few weeks. Make a separate post asking people here to look at what you're eating and to make suggestions...btw...just posting a "typical" day probably isn't enough to get good help.

Four...Patience, patience, patience...how long did it take you to get heavy?? You have to think of this as a way of life, not a diet. If you eat less carbs than you burn with your exercise, your body has to get it from somewhere...it uses carbs first, then fat, voila...stick to it.

Five...talk to a doctor or two...with the bypass...isn't your body supposed to be unable or restricted in how much fat it can absorb for food? I don't know what the implications would be for this diet in your case...that might be a good topic for a separate thread.

Just some thoughts....
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 10:31
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, DaddioM I totally forgot about the surgery fat thing. My pouch is designed to not absorb and process very quickly any food I eat. I do not absorb but only 40% of fat I take in. I wonder if I increase the fat???? HUM>>> I think I'll call the Doc
Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 20:31
Northern Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugaby
Yes, DaddioM I totally forgot about the surgery fat thing. My pouch is designed to not absorb and process very quickly any food I eat. I do not absorb but only 40% of fat I take in. I wonder if I increase the fat???? HUM>>> I think I'll call the Doc
Thanks

np...I remembered something about that from my sister going through the surgery. I think you're supposed to get 70% of your calories from fat on this diet (others would know better..and a specific thread might be good). It may be difficult for you to get to the 70% number since I believe your body will throw away much of the fat.

Anyway...keep at it...If you exercise, it will come......off
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 08:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks DaddioM Dr. says I might try lecithin helps me absorb fat even though he laughed and said he never had a patient WANT to absorb fat. A nutrionist who works at Keto Corp where I get my Protein Shakes said NOTHING in the shakes I drink should slow or stop me, He was a weight trainer several years and said since I've been doing the same exercise for 6 months that has to change my body is used to that expendeture of energy just like it does calories. He said investigate some weight resistance like "Curves" gym Low impact resistance and he said swim if possible. The weight of the water is great for burning calories. So Im taking the shakes, eating right, upped by exercise from 30 min to 1 hr. and added a walking tape WITH weights. We'll see. He said Im so close to goal the rest is sweat and tears! (just great!) Ive also been under alot of stress. He said that is definately negative to weight loss as are my migrane medswith caffeine. He also mentioned adding supplement L-carnitine, and CLA, Helps break and move the fat to the "incenerator" he called it. They are not cheap either! He was VERY helpful. So well see but the fat thing is a definate possible contributor per the doc! Thanks again
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:55
Northern Mike

Wow...you've got a helpful doctor AND a trainer who is knowledgeable...most people would be very happy if they just got one or the other.

Regarding what the trainer said about all sweat and tears...I don't think it's THAT bad...but I guess I'll soon start to find out. I'm within 15lbs of goal, but think I still have 25lbs of fat on me. Hopefully, I'll gain 10lbs of muscle and lose the fat. So far, what I've seen, is that peoples shapes continue to change slowly if they're still watching carbs and exercising regularly. I'm getting close enough to my goal weight now that I'm more concerned about the shape than the weight.