Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 10:50

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%
Default FISH? Give me fish!

Well I have been really getting into eating fish lately and love it. I cook all my fish, whether frozen or fresh on my George Foreman Grill and sprinkle it with some butter or olive oil with herbs (in the summer when the snow melts and I can find my BBQ in my backyard I will obviously cook it all on that). However has anyone actually checked the fat content of most fish? Sole, Bluefish, Pollock and many others that you can get relatively cheap frozen at the supermarket have NO FAT!! Argh I can't believe I am saying this but it's pretty much all protein (zero carbs tho).

I love it but I find myself staring down at my plate in dismay almost ashamed I am not ingesting more of the “supposed” artery clogging goodness. I add butter of course and olive oil and if I stir fry some veggies with that in a sense it adds fat but in relative terms would then fish be considered inferior in our LC lifestyle compared to say a fatty piece of pork or a hot spicy Italian sausage?? When I make fish I feel like Homer Simpson with a need to wrap it with bacon… heck I'd wrap everything with bacon if I could.

If I am making Shrimp in a curry and butter sauce, then it' all good but in this case as I tend to grill everything, heck not much fat in anything.

Even trout is low in fat -- most fish are. Salmon I love and have smoked salmon as often as I can find it on sale. Also love the canned stuff too.

I guess if you had a choice to try and get some added fat from your meat, would you choose fish as your number one source? I know we get those Omega-3 fats so for some fish that makes up for it tenfold.

On a totally unrelated note… anyone live near serious power lines? I am talking about the ones that hum. Anyhow here grow a flipper yet? I found this perfect house but it’s in close proximity to power lines. Was thinking of moving but worried about starting to glow in a few years from heavy electromagnetic exposure. I don't mind being a bit messed up but I have limits.
Thanks
Claudius
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:02
Living Healthy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

Fish is great, not inferior at all. Just get your fats from other sources and munch away!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:09
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Quote:
When I make fish I feel like Homer Simpson with a need to wrap it with bacon… heck I'd wrap everything with bacon if I could.

This is how white fish is often served in fancy restaurants! Crispy, thin slices of bacon on the fish or at the side. Very good. Use more fat in sauces like aioli (french mayo sauce with garlic, hot) or make vegetables with cream/butter.

Quote:
I don't mind being a bit messed up but I have limits.

Ehmmmm I wish I could help........I live close to the second biggest airport in Europe. No glowing yet. LOL

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:10
boy interrupted

Stats: 265/265/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

The george foreman grill has to be the best invention ever for fish. Makes it so easy doesnt it?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

what tastes the best on those fish? To me it would be butter. And you can control exactly how much fat you eat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:23

Stats: 230/149/125 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I lived almost under those power lines while growing up (20 years) and don't know of anyone who had a problem. My children only have one head and don't glow. My parents have been there much longer. Their joints are getting creaky but they don't glow either. We had lots of pets with no problems and we used to eat the berries that grew under them.
Good luck! I just had yummy grilled salmon for lunch. I love my GF Grill.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:33

Aye, indeed butter! When it comes to fish, just something about lemon, herbs and butter that go well together. Well after reading this I might start adding bacon. I have done the bacon and scallops deal in the past but was just hesitant of actually having sole with bacon.

Cheese of course can add the needed fat as well and I will play with that - yumm.
Oh yes the George Foreman grill rules and I was even thinking of getting one of those Set it and Forget it ovens... what were they called? Didn't that guy advertise that Hair in Spray Bottle at one point till he figured that selling ovens was more lucrative? I love those infomercials... there's nothing better to space out to late at night.

One thing though is that I have to remember to spray or lube George up (well the grill not him) to prevent sticking.... all meats fall right off it, but fish sticks to it like nobody's business.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:35

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Mmmm....tilapia!

Generously bathed in butter, broiled with just a light squeeze of lemon, and a sprinkle of parsley. I'll even melt more butter in a ramekin, put the fish in the butter, mash it a little, then eat right out of the bowl! Oh, heaven!

I never waste butter. It's too good of a commodity...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:43

Thanks Scarlet96 for your answer to my dilemma about the power lines. I checked your profile for a picture just to make sure but I probably shouldn’t stress about it. You added you have kids so my other worry was somewhat alleviated in regards to possible "reproductive" issues and my "gear" down below. Woot!

I figured I watched enough W5 and 60 minute reports to pretty much worry about most things in life and heck it was power lines today.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:59

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

Just got the GF grill as well! Love it. Claudius, you might try marinating your fish beforehand in an oil-based dressing. I just buy Newman's Own Italian, add a splash of raspberry wine vinegar, put it with the fish in a bag and marinate for an hour or so. Then onto the GF grill. I think the fish has time to absorb some of the oil, so this would be a good way to add in some fat grams.

Also, now that I'm thinking about the GF grill -- I bought it because one of my favorite new cookbooks, Dana Carpender's 15-Minute Low Carb Recipes, recommended it. She uses it a lot in order to get the meals down to 15 minutes -- that is 15 minutes prep AND cooking time! It's a great book for those of you who already own the grill.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:18

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yeah, marinating the fish in olive oil and herbs/garlic sounds pretty tasty! Spiced mayo is also tasty. How about just making up a big greek salad with olive oil and feta cheese and get your fat that way!

About the power-lines, I'm imagining going out Bank Street towards WalMart and seeing those massive power-lines (the ones that looked really funny after the ice storm a few years ago). I've heard them hum, and I can see why you'd worry. I'd do a walk around the neighborhood looking at the children and dogs - if they have flippers or glow, I think I'd pass on the house!

And can I say for the record that I'm REALLY glad to be back in Alabama and not in Ottawa this winter! I still have friends up there, and it sounds really cold - too cold for canal skating!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:32
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Oh I love fish. Especially high fatty fish such as salmon, tuna and mackerel. Oh, smoked mackerel with black pepper and garlic... Yumsters. I could easily down almost 1lb of raw salmon in the shape of sashimi, with wasabi et al.

Fish is the best. Now, if only it didn't have all those bones...
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Salmon is a nice high fat fish full of omegas.

Just be careful of tuna, swordfish, and other large preditors because of murcury.

Also you should be having veggies, so use that as an opportunity to add butter and olive oil. You can also try recipes such as stuffed salmon filets that have cream cheese or ricotta inside.

There is also the great way of supplimenting. Just take a table spoon and some fish, flax seed, or coconut oil, and well you know the rest. Heck didn't cod fish oil once be the cure all?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:34

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I have tried to like fish...any kind of fish....but I just can't seem to force myself. Every time I make it it turns out bland and dry. And then worrying and fretting over the bones. I can't stand the thought of swallowing a fish bone. Any ideas? I really would like to be able to add more variety to my diet by eating fish...guess I need to visit the recipe boards and see what ideas I can find.

About the power lines...no way I'd live under a big power line that hums. We live in what used to be a rural community. In the past year or so they've built probably 200 houses or more. Two of them were built literally RIGHT under a big humming power line. Big beautiful houses and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why someone would want to live there. The thing is right smack dab in the middle of both houses' front yards with a huge ugle chain link fence all around it. Why do they build houses in such odd places? It's beyond me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 05:28

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%
Default Hello

I have to admit, I haven't read ALL the posts here. oops! Just too busy.....However, the very thought of fish is making me go al squishy inside!!! I absolutely LOVE fish. Unfortunately, I cannot get it too readily here, unless I want to pay an arm and a leg...and a few euros to boot. OK...I CAN get picklef herring (yes, you heard right!), which the Dutch suck down whole (tails and all)......Just picture standing by a "Herring Stall" on any street, little fishy held by tail, head back, mouth open, and then he is dropped in and sucked down in one swallo! YEP! Or, I can forego (which I DO) and eat EEL! ICKY!!!! So, you can see my dilema! Tell me how I can be 30 miles from the North Sea in one direction, 30 miles from the Wadden Sea in another and surrounded by a HUGE lake (3500 square kilometers....you do the conversion) and STILL.....NO FISH. Well, not much! Anyway, point being, I love the stuff too and miss my 3-4 times a week salmon fest I was privleged to in the US.

OK, so...if you guys are wondering how, if you don't eat fish, you can get some of those very healthy oils, HERE YOU GO...

You are missing Omega 6's and Omerga 3's. Get a bottle of flax seed and also some Borage oil. You will be covered. I prefer the oils dosed in a teaspoon, but you can also get capsules. Flax seed oil, as a bonus, can also be used to make salad dressings (oil based, naturally). Just substitute part of your n ormal oil with flax. You'll have to experiment.

Good luck and please, TRY to eat fish. It's so good for you and is WONDERFUL!! I use a Greek seasoning called CAVENDERS and put it on salmon and then panfry. Lemon is a terrific accompaniment to fish. Good luck!!

Charlotte