Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%
Default LC Baking Disaster!

My boyfriend and I are in the OWL phase of Atkins. We were invited for dinner to a freind's place and to make sure the desert would be low carb, we offered to bring desert. My boyfriend has a great recipe for a chocolate torte that we decided to make using Splenda and the Atkins bake mix. This recipe is mostly eggs (6 I believe), lots of sugar and very little flour (can't remember the amounts) along with baking powder, vanilla, salt.....the usuals. Oh ya..... some cocoa too. Anyway..... the cake didn't rise!! This cake is baked in one pan and then cut into 3 layers so it usually rises quite a bit. This thing was about an inch thick! The outside was quite hard and the inside was spongy and not moist at all. We're not sure if it was the bake mix or the Splenda.... both are supposed to be for baking! Anyone else ever experience this? Any ideas of what might have happened? Given the price of this stuff (I paid 19.99 cad for the bake mix.... not cheap) I don't want to start experimenting and throwing it all out!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 11:43

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi - I use almond flour more than the bake mix as I find the bake mix doesn't perform the way I expect it to. The almond flour doesn't always either, but in a recipe that calls for wheat flour it substitutes pretty well. If you are going to do dessert again I would make either the cheesecake recipe from this site (it is awesome!) or one of the cakes using the almond flour. they are more dense (like corn muffins) but delicious. We made them and added pureed strawberries and whipped cream - everyone loved them!

PecanPie
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 19:23

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I bet it was the bake mix. I don't know anyone who actually likes the stuff. I've baked with Splenda and had good results. There is an awesome recipe for Lemon Cake in the sweet treats section, it was posted by Demi. You can change the extract and make it any flavor.
Alli
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 19:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Yup.. the Atkins bake mix is AWFUL.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:43

Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%

Thanks for the info. Any idea of what I can use the bake mix for? Other than dumping down the toilet? I paid too much for it to let it go to waste.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi DitzyToad
I make waffles,buns for sandwiches,tortillas, pancakes, & muffins. Sometimes you have to disguise the taste. I also make a faux atkins bake mix. It's much cheaper. I mix almond or walnut flour to help it respond better. Oh I make crepes for blintzes too. Check out sherrilee's website she uses atkins bake mix.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%

Sorry had to get the address.
http://headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm

Ess
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 18:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I threw my bake mix out after many months. I have the carb sense 0 carb bake mix I keep in the freezer to occaisonaly make bread like things with decent results. I try to find recipes that were designed for the mix though.

When using almond flour you may have to adjust the amount and the levening agent as almond flour is much heavier and more dense then regular flours.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 18:56

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have found that you can use it acceptably in a recipe for flaxseed muffins - you only use 1/4 cup (recipe calls for soy or bake mix) - check out the bread section for flaxseed muffins - they are like bran muffins - moist and delicious!

I also use it mixed with almond meal to bread chicken or fish. It's almost gone
PecanPie