Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/169/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Personal Question

I'm kind of embarrassed but figured if I couldn't ask you experienced LCer's then who could I ask.

Has anybody experienced menstrual cycle changes while on a LC program? Long story short- I finished induction without experiencing significant weight loss. With the help of some people on this board, I determined that I wasn't eating enough. I have adjusted my food consumption to include more fat, protein and calories. For 5 days now, I have been using fitday and really being meticulous in recording what I eat. Unfortunately, still no significant loss (about a pound- give or take depending on water retention). When I was not eating enough I began experiencing "spotting". Now that I have modified my diet, it seems as if I am having a full blown period. The thing is, I am mid-cycle and shouldn't be.

I am re-reading my book but haven't seen this topic addressed.

Thanks and I'm going to post this immediately before I change my mind.

Laura
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:45
Registered Member

Stats: 141/128/121
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi LSStriker.

it's weird that you should ask this today, cos I was going to ask the same question. I've been on depo-provera for 3 years (having finished my family), and therefore have not had a period for 3 years (oh the bliss). but have started spotting in the last 3 days.

so any info anyone would like to pass on, we would BOTH very much appreciate it.

and don't be embarrassed - we are all friends here!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:51
Registered Member

Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

This is my second month of lc'ing and I've had one TOM since beginning. My TOM came seven days early (prior to lc'ing I was always right on schedule) and extremely heavy. I've read something about the fact that when you LC, you lose fat cells. The fat cells contain estrogen which could cause your TOM to move up.

I'm now pms'ing like crazy and I'll probably get my TOM any day now. My pms is much much worse than prior to LC'ing..BUT, I love the weight loss, so I'll deal with the early TOM and awful PMS. (hopefully my husband can stand me..lol)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 17:01

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes I have experienced a difference in my TOMs now that I am on atkins.. They usualy come soemwhat on their normal time but they are very heavy now and I also have kept spotting for about 5 days now after Tom was over... not bad but still can be irritating some... I dont know what the deal is.. Your not alone on the different changes with TOM. But Im sticking to atkins and figure it soon will change for the better I hope....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:20

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hello,

I've also experienced some changes when I started low carbing. Eventhough I am on allesse I had spotting on the 18th day for just a few days and then I would have my regular period. Now it seems to be better.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:11
Registered Member

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

I had that problem, too - the first couple months it was almost a week early! I didn't care for going only three weeks between..lol..but it's back to normal now.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 23:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, modified
Stats: 195/175.5/140
BF:
Progress: 35%

I am breastfeeding my third child and had my first TOM a month ago, a month into LCing. My TOM did not come until 17-18 months post delivery with the other two and this TOM was 9 months post. It also was heavy for 3-4 days then stopped. I have been cramping for a week but no blood and if I am going to be regular again it is due now. Mydelaney thank you for explaining that fat cells release estrogen!! Now I feel better about all this hormonal stuff I am going through
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 00:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what has been bantered about on the forum, it seems like estrogen stored in fat cells could be the answer.

There is more info in this post: Ladies read please

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 05:03

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

I had exactly the same thing happen. Half way through my cycle I had a period. To make things worse, I still had one at the end of the cycle too!! Apparently it does settle down but it is something to do with estrogen stored in the fat cells that are breaking down. As long as I'm losing weight I can handle it!

Melberry
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:30

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default PCOS, Insulin and Hormone Flux

If you look into Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrom, you will find that for many women who initially have problems with lack of periods, ovulation, hair growth, weight gain/retention etc are finding that being on a low carb diet helps the syndrome. (never will you meet more women who are thrilled to get their monthly!) I am not saying that you have PCOS, god forbid, however this is a hormonal imbalance in women that usually starts in the teens, which causes all of those symptoms that I mentioned (and probably others).

Being that insulin is an important part of your hormone system, along with estrogen, testosterone, progesterone etc it would surprise me if this didnt have an effect on your menses. But look at it this way, your hormones were probably outta whack if you are experiencing an adjustment now. Perhaps that change will be for the better!

Also, poor nutrition would result in amenorea, not spontaneous bleeding. (your body hangs onto its reserves! - thnk of anorexia and women with extremely low body fat percentages)

Last edited by Elora Jade : Tue, Mar-12-02 at 08:37.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:56

Plan: Atkins; Protein Power
Stats: 180/169/135
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Me Too

I'm on Day 12 of Induction. I initially appeared to have lost about 4 pounds, without cheats and with exercise. However, in the evenings, I appear to gain it all back, so I believe the 4 pounds is just water loss. Very frustrating.

On Day 3 I started bleeding mid-cycle and I had a full-blown week of it! This was very unusual for me, because I am VERY regular. I just stopped bleeding yesterday (Thank You!). My regular period is scheduled to begin this weekend. I wonder if I'll have that one too.

I guess I'm relieved to not be the only one. I had a terrible back ache and menstrual-like cramps for the first 7 days of the diet.

I'm on progestin-only birth control pills, and I just weaned my 11-month old baby from breast feeding. These too could have an effect. However, I remember starting an Atkins-like LC diet once before about 5 years ago and I began bleeding within days on that one too. That's why I quit back then, too painful. This time I stuck with it.

-Jamie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:01

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default interesting subject

Jamie.... I always, always weigh more at night than I do in the morning. So I NEVER get on the scales at night. It just sets me up for some disappointment. I would guess that most of us are like that. I like to weigh in first thing in the morning, after I go to the bathroom, naked and before I drink anything. I do the very same thing each day. Be consistent in whatever you choose.

Now.... on to that TOM. My experience has been totally different than most of you. When I was younger and before pregnancies/weight gain I had light periods and they were short. As I had kids and gained weight they became heavier and longer. Since I have been following a lower carb way of life I have had a HUGE change in my period. I no longer have that "heavy yucky" feeling the day before they start. I no longer have cramps. It is shorter, lighter and doesn't bother me at all. I would like to contribute this to my change in diet.

I can't believe I am discussing this kind of stuff on the internet. I won't even tell my husband how much I weigh. geesh.

Libby
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:02
Registered Member

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
As long as I'm losing weight I can handle it!

LOL. DITTO'S!!!!