Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/312/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Is too much water not good?

I have stopped losing and I am really depressed! I drink about 5 qts of water a day cause I dont drink anything else.I keep a 32 oz bottle withme at all times even on my nightstand. Is the water causing me to weigh more? I sit water weight or what?I amgetting pretty frustrated here? I thought that we should drink half our body weight in ozs of water. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Claudine[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: gif 0062.gif (339 Bytes, 79 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:22

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Water is your friend...

It's very good that you've been drinking so much water and that you're keeping it nearby at all times...

...I don't know what you've been eating, but try to be sure that it's not heavily salted foods as they might cause you to hold water.

Otherwise, you should be drinking and peeing regularly. If you're just starting out, give your body a little time to adjust.

WATER IS YOUR FRIEND

Good luck!

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:49

BF:
Arrow What I eat.....

First I would like to thank you so much for your Prompt response DW. I have Read several of your posts and admire your effort and success. You are a role model in my eyes. Keep up the good work. Now let me tell you what I eat in a typical day.Also I dont really like to add salt seeing as the hams sausages and bacon has alot. I do add salt only to beef , chicken or fish.( Not tuna , not on eggs or salads.)

Breakfast-2-3 eggs with either 4-5 slices of bacon , ham, or breakfast sausage with salsa (alittle)and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese in my eggs & plenty of water.

Lunch-Tuna & a salad with mayo.Lots of water.

Dinner- Steak with hard boiled egg & salad or other meat.Lots of water

Snacks- A low carb muffin (2g carb) and sugar free jello with whipped cream double dose. (about 2-4 g)Lots of water.

Claudine
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 14:00

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Think about it..

If yer drinking 32oz which is like 2lbs of water..

Why wouldn't putting 2lbs of ANYTHING in your body show a weight gain? If ya get on the scale holding a 10lb weight, the 10 is gonna show right? lol

lol its not neccesarily bad, it comes right back out bringing fat and crap right along with it. But thats why yer supposed to weigh first thing in the morning when you're at your lowest weight since theres nothing in you to add extra weight.

Although if you're eating alot of high sodium foods, you could be retaining it which is making you gain weight also. Check food labels, alot of foods you don't even realize have a high sodium content. If thats the case, keep drinking hella lot of water and cut the sodium and that 5lb gain or so would be lost within a day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 16:05

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Claudine,

It is almost impossible to drink too much water on Atkins or any other ketogenic diet, because the diet itself acts as a diuretic which is why you absolutely must drinks lots of water. You are also less likely to retain water on a ketogenic diet, however, when are you weighing yourself? How often?

What do you mean exactly by stopped losing weight? How many days have you not lost weight? How far are you into the program?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 16:32

BF:
Arrow Stopped losing as in.....

......gaining. I ahve only been on for about 3 weeks and i had thought that I was losing but after I bought a scale yesterday I figure I am at about at the same weight that I started at or even more. Iam so depressed. I am ready to go out and take all kinds of diet pills and try different approaches. I am already taking Xenadrine, and chromium which is good. i am considering a carb cutter once a day with my largest meal. The reccommended doses are 2 tablets with each meal I would only take 1 a day. and I am also considering taking Xenical. to get rid of 30% of the fat that I consume. I drink plenty of water and I have been exercising quite a bit. I didn;t used to drink any water (only sodas) and i also never even execised at all. So what do you think? By the way Hello and I appreciate your attention.
Attached Images
File Type: gif purpaw.gif (135 Bytes, 55 views)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 17:03

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hello,

I'm not so sure you are gaining if it's a new scale and you just bought it yesterday. All scales weigh you differently. Probably if you had weighed yourself on that exact same scale three weeks ago, you probably weigh less now.

It is very important that you took your measurements before you started so that you can see if you are losing inches or not. Do your clothes fit tighter?

Try cutting out the lowcarb muffin (it's not allowed on induction anyway and it may have sugar even if it's low carb) Sugar is not allowed in any form, even in canned whipped cream.

I would substitute homemade sugarfree jello with homemade whipped cream sweetened with Splenda.

Are you keeping track of what you eat in fitday.com?

Are you well into ketosis? What do your ketostix show?

Have you been on low calorie starvation type diets in the past few months? In Atkins New Diet Revolution he says that will keep you from losing weight in the beginning as your metabolism adjusts from starvation mode to learning that it is going to get enough food. Are you letting yourself get hungry during the day? This will also make your body think you are in starvation mode and it will hold onto fat and slow your metabolism down.

You sound like me with the exercise. I lost zero pounds in the first week of Atkins and one pound in the second, but what was happening was this: muscle weighs more than fat. I was exchanging muscle for fat. This is a good thing! And then woosh! in the fourth week I lost 5 pounds.

I've tried every diet drug known to man including Xenical for six months which doesn't work by the way. You do have a lot of fat in your bowel movements, but remember eating fat is not what made us fat. It is eating the carbohydrates. These drugs and diets have ruined my metabolism so that I was eating about 1,000 calories per day and not losing a pound until I switched to a ketogenic diet. Now I eat 1,800 calories a day, am never hungry and am losing (very slowly, but losing). I only lost 7 lbs in the last month, but I went from a size 10 pants to a size 8. My body is in shock because for the first time in my life I'm getting enough nutrients.

Which reminds me: take L-carnitine (about 1000-1500 mg per day) and CoQ10. This is what Atkins recommends for stalls.

Hope something here helps.