Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default easy, fast, on-the-go induction lunches?

i'm restarting a strict atkins induction after many months of doing a modified induction. basically i'm having a problem with my lunches. i'm in school during the midday and i only have about 20 mins for lunch, bathroom breaks, misc tasks so i'm trying to figure out what to eat for lunch that would be super quick, easy to make, non-messy, and good to eat on the go. sometimes i even have to eat in class, so i'm looking for something *very* easy to eat/nonmessy/non-smelly.

i've already decided that salads are not a good idea. i take forever to eat them, they're kinda messy, they require two hands, and they're not very inconspicuous for those days i have to eat in class! lately i've been bringing homemade wraps and eating those m-th (made with la tortilla wraps and deli fresh roast beef), but i know the wraps are not allowed on induction.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 01:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/187/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I like to make chicken salad with a can of chicken and a spoonful of mayo, you can add a little celery/mustard/pepper for a little more flavor. You could also do egg salad with a couple pieces of cheese on the side. Another good meal to try would be to wrap deli meat/cheese/mayo in a large leaf of lettuce, and just roll it up. Or, take a slice of deli meat, a little cream cheese, and pickle all wrapped up. I'm a student too, so I know the troubles you're going through!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 08:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On the weekend make a large pot of soup. Place single servings into zip lock bags and store a couple in the fridge, rest in freezer. Then when you want a fast meal, nuke it (or make a could soup) and carry the cup to class. If you are stuck on campus, talk to your department or a professor you know well. If you explain the situation they may find a micro wave in one of the teachers lounges you can use.

Quiches are another thing that freezes well in individual portions. Just take out a portion and carry it with you. It will keep safly.

With store bought mayo, an egg or tuna salad will keep in a bag or lunch box untuil lunch. Just be sure to clean out the container when you get home or your papers may smell funky in a week.

I foudn one of the best lunches to take to school was a wrap. I made a cheeseburger and put it in a napa cabbage leaf. Then I sealed it in a rubbermade container. By the time lunch rolled around the juices from the burger had seeped into the cabbage leaf just enough to hold it in place, while still being crunchy. It was great.

If you can stand a smaller lunch until you get more time to eat, have a snack. Take raw veggies to mucnh, or celery with cheese inside. A ziplock bag can work as a glove, and you can take a steak or chicken breast, eating carefully using the glove. Making sure to have a snack before and after class can help without suddenly starving to death midday and make a liter snack all you need.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 09:02
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I love turkey or roast beef deli sliced meats rollups with a slice of swiss cheese or around a slice of cheddar.

I know tuna is stinky, but is salmon? Maybe some canned salmon mixed with mayo in a tupperware container would work?

Celery sticks dipped in a little tupperward container of ranch dressing?

Valerie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 09:11

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Meat roll ups
Tuna Salad
Egg salad
Chicken salad
CHeese sticks with peperoni
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 09:23

Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

you don't happen to be a diablo player do you valkyrie? i only ask because of your name hehe ... a valkyrie is an amazon spell in the game and it just made me wonder hehe... deviled eggs are a great snack =) smelly though hehe
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:28

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

I found this recipe in the Kitchen Forum (can't remember where exactly though). It's terrific!! Low carb, easy and versatile. I've multipled it with no problem.

Egg Wrap
1 egg white
1 teaspoon protein powder
some spices of your choice

Beat the egg white until very stiff. Add the protein powder and spices of your choice. (I prefer paprika and salt.) Spoon this very thinly onto a non-sticking pan and cook over medium low heat until the egg white will separate from the pan. Turn it and lightly brown the other side. It's great for wrapping salad or just to put cold cuts on it.

Serves 1 ~ less than 1 gram of carbohydrate.

{Edited} BTW, great for wrapping anything - salads, veggies, tofu, meat slices, cheese, etc. etc.

Last edited by Rocky_Cdn : Fri, Apr-16-04 at 11:43.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:32

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

My "grab something at the last minute" thing is often Pepperoni Sticks with some cubes of cheese cut up.
The big secret is preparing things in advance. For example soak chicken breasts in cream and egg mixture for several hours or overnight. Then roll them in shredded parmensan (I also add ground flaxseed to this). Then bake for 20-30 minutes. Bake a bunch of these and they are quick and can be eaten with one hand!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:38

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Since you want food you can eat on the run I would pack up lunch meat slices, cheese cubes, sliced cucumbers and red pepper slices, black or green olives, pre-shelled hard boiled eggs, celery sticks with cream cheese filling, cherry tomatoes, the string cheese sticks you can get in the store. After induction though it will make life easier cause you can bring your LC tortilla roll ups, berries, nuts and other things that are a bit easier to carry.

Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default You can make meat salads

I like to make taco salads. It's not as much lettuce as a regular salad. Use ground beef and cheese and some shredded lettuce, a dolop of sour cream. You can even cross out the lettuce and just scoop it up with some pork skins and it's like nachos. I also like the cream cheese on deli meat made into roll ups. One thing that I know is crucial.....You must plan your meals....otherwise you'll be starved and want to quit or you'll cheat. When I plan....I do better. I made like a chicken Corden Bleu kinda thing. 2 of those will fill you up. Roll that up in a lettuce leaf. It's all about planning. Anything can be quick if you plan.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:56

Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 92%

hi valkyrie,

i LIVE on nori wraps. i think i've tried a million different combinations. i love sushi so much that these are the next best thing to not having any.

if you took a piece of nori and spread a really thin layer of cream cheese on it (for the mock stickiness) and then fill it with combinations like tuna (the best is from trader joes)--but that would smell, so you don't have to use tuna...i've used thin fried scramble eggs with cucumbers....i've used shredded chicken breast with really thin celery sticks, really thin fried tofu is really good with this too...and it goes on and on.

obviously you can't dip while you're in class, but what you can do is mix a little bit of wasabe in the cream cheese before you spread it on the nori and just when you're done layering and about to roll, season it with salt and pepper or a little bit of soysauce.

hope this was helpful. it doesn't take that long either. i think i would die if i didn't eat this a couple of times a week, you know?

take care, and keep up the good work!

blue skies,

Kimmy (GG)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 11:07

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quick and easy for me is hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, stalks of celery, sometimes I stuff the celery with sf peanut butter or cream cheese mixed with a teaspoon of DaViniti (sp) syrup. I also take sandwiches, cold cuts rolled up in romaine with a teaspoon mayo and/or mustard. I took a peanut butter sandwich last week. I use Atkins bread and sf peanut butter. I bought my peanut butter at a health food store. It was freshly ground with no additives. There's lots of good ideas here. I hope this helps.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 09:46

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know I'm wierd but I mix egg salad and tuna salad and roll it up in a lettuce leaf. I don't make two separate salads but I do add lost of hard-boiled eggs to my tuna....ummm, I can't wait for lunch.