Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Lightbulb NEW - Breaking Stalls and Plateaus on the Low-Carbohydrate Diet.

General Guidelines for a Stall and Plateau Busting Diet

This is a new stall and plateau busting diet. I developed this diet to break my weight-loss stalls and reach my goal. People who are weight-loss resistance can continue on this diet indefinitely. There is no time limitation. The diet provides a complete nutrition program, and all recommendations are strongly encouraged. Please provide feedback with complete details about your experience on the diet. Check it out at:

Breaking Stalls and Plateaus on the Low-Carbohydrate Diet.

This diet is still a low-carbohydrate diet with a little finessing to break a stall and proceed on the weight-loss curve. Knowing the general overall guidelines is important so one does not have to blindly follow a strict meal recipe program. You can eat the foods or recipes you desired so long as they comply with these guidelines.

This stall and plateau busting diet is more than that. It can be continued for the duration of your weight-loss until you reach your goal even if it takes years. This diet plan can be used as a way-of-life for those who gain the weight back easily. This is much different from other stall busting diets which are limited in duration. Examples are the fat fast diet, fat flush diet or the high-protein, low-fat and low-carbohydrate diet.

Don't be fooled by hype and excessive claims of rapid weight loss presented in many programs. The continual weight-loss of one to 2 pounds per week should be considered normal for a person with a high lean body weight, such as a large male. Others should expect less depending on their lean body mass. A 1/2 pound to 1 pound per week is normal for an average size female. Even so, mini-stalls will occur as weight is lost, and one should not panic when a rare but small violation of the guidelines results in the up-tick of several pounds. Simply return to the program and watch it fall away just as quickly.

Good luck,

Kent
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 11:52

Stats: 190/161/140 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Vegetarianism is a religion which is falsely disguised as a healthy way of eating. True vegetarianism is the worship of animals. These people place animals on the same value level as human beings and sometimes above that of the human race. The result of their spreading myths, distortions and lies about healthy eating has lead to a dramatic surge in obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer that are not found in low-carbohydrate, high-fat, meat-eating societies. The low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet of the last 40 years has caused the early deaths of millions of people and untold suffering, both of which continue unabated to this day.

(from the Top Ten Nutritional Myths page)

Hi Kent,
There's a lot of good information on your pages but I must say I really don't agree with your demonizing of vegetarians. I was a vegetarian for ten years and it was never a 'religion' for me, nor did I 'worship' animals - I was a vegetarian because I believed it was better for the environment, because I believed that modern meat farming and processing is unhealthy and inhumane, and because I believed that on an overpopulated planet it is far more equitable to focus on producing grains and vegetables which can feed far more people than a few pounds of meat produced with the same resources. I eat meat now for my health, but I try to restrict it to organic meats, and what's more there are several members of my family who are low-carbing AND vegetarians, so the two are not mutually exclusive. And what I found when I was a vegetarian is that they are just as much a disadvantaged minority as low-carbers are - they certainly are not controlling the upper echelons of the medical establishment and federal food agencies from where they are able to spread their vegetarian 'gospel'. The vegetarian movement and the lowfat-highcarb paradigm stem from quite different sources, and have very different aims.

In short, I wish you could just present your argument and references for the advantages of a low-carb lifestyle without resorting to attacking certain groups - you will lose far fewer listeners that way.

Thanks for listening.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 13:01

Thumbs down Ex-vegetarian goes ballistic.

WOW, libra, you bought the vegetarian dogma, myths, distortions and lies hook, line and sinker --- oh, except you admit it made you unhealthy. Well, at least you rejected one of the vegetarian lies. They do claim it is the healthiest diet in the world, ya know.

BTW, raising beef is far better for the environment than growing soybean with blowing top soil in the fall, winter and spring, spraying herbicides to prevent the weeds and spraying pesticides to control the bugs. No such thing as organic soybeans. I love to see the cattle grazing on the open range where they thrive even though the soil is not suitable for vegetables.

I don't appreciate your side-tracking the topic of this thread for some little personal complaint you found on a different page of my web site. The topic here is:

Breaking Stalls and Plateaus on the Low-Carbohydrate Diet.

Kent
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: my own plan, Atkins
Stats: 127/117/110 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

Kent,
Just curious...why is spreadable cheese not acceptable on your diet?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 10:31

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

I am a frequent "staller" I've been fluctuating from 132-136 since September.

I have cut out all nuts, seeds, whip cream, pork grinds...
I do have a cocktail of rum and diet rite cola or vodka and seltzer w/lemon & lime. Can I still have that one day a week (when we get together with friends) Or will I never break through the 130's???

Also at 45 yrs. old I can't believe I should be 115 pounds! I thought 122 would be fine? Well, I guess I have alot of tweaking to do again!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 12:50

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

Ok, just read that the metemucil fiber capsules (4) morning and night that I've been taking is wrong...and I was taking flax seed oil capsules 2 x's/day.

the GLA capsule and I guess the one a day with green tea is ok.

Oh yeah, and my husband heard that peanut oil was "healthy" so he bought an expensive bottle and now that and sunflower oil that is in my cabinet are a no no....

Ok, I'm willing to get rid of some things and see what happens..out with fiber, flax seed oil, sunflower oil and peanut oil..oh and nuts (walnuts and almonds) seem like Macadamia are ok....

ISN'T LIFE JUST GRAND !!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 14:02

Hi lnsestili,

The ingredients in spreadable cheese are all over the map. Cheese is actually a minor ingredient in some. Sugar is common. Corn syrup is common. Mayonnaise with thickeners is used in some. Hydrogenated vegetable oils (deadly trans fats) is now less common because the manufacturers are getting the message. Some spreadable cheese may be OK but check the label carefully.

Hard cheeses are great because they don't have any additives.

Kent
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 14:21

Hi carol.pino,

Give the diet a chance of several weeks without the rum and vodka. I continued to lose weight well while drinking regular coffee, herb and regular tea, and diet Pepsi. I love the blend of unsweetened ice tea and diet Pepsi one can make at the self serve sections in the supermarket and other places. The Pepsi sweetens the ice tea.

After you have proven the diet by establishing a continuing weight loss you could try a little rum and vodka as a test. My guess is it will stop your weight loss dead in its tracks.

Dr. Atkins takes a favorable approach to fiber in the diet. However, people with an irritable bowel disease quickly learn that intestinal bacteria break the fiber down into bad chemicals and acids. The sporogenes probiotic is AWESOME for eliminating the sluggish bowels experienced on the strict low-carb diet. Information about it is on the web page.

Dr. Atkins and Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades both write harsh criticism against omega-6 fatty acids found in most nuts, sorry. Omega-6 is the main fatty acid found in vegetable oils as well and is inflammatory to the intestinal tract and cardiovascular system.

Costco Wholesale has macadamia nuts on sell now for the holiday season. Wal Mart carries them year round at a slightly higher price, but they are never cheap anywhere. Go lightly on the high calorie nuts. Pork rinds are OK within limits. Leaner meat is OK for a snack but low calorie vegetables are best for those with metabolic resistance.

Please give us feedback on your experience.

Good luck,

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Tue, Nov-25-03 at 14:24.