Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 229/216/175
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Silver jewellery has gone black

I've been on Atkins induction for 8 days now - I'm feeling ok but have had to take off all my silver jewellery as it's turned black! Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 15:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Silver jewelry is known to tarnish. Some silver has a protective coating on it to keep it shiny longer but once that coating wears off it's time for a polishing cloth.

Like the silverwear of the good ole days it takes a good polishing to make silver shine like new

Also if your water has a lot of sulfur in it, it will also turn silver black, within minutes of the water touching it. One of the reasons I went to wearing white gold. I love the silver look, but the maintaince of keeping it pretty was a pain.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hi

I had the exact same problem, although it happened before I started LCing...so not attributable to that.

All of a sudden one day of wearing something silver and it would turn black. I spoke to a jeweller about it and she said that it is common as people get older that their body chemistry changes and this happens to some people

I had to change to white gold too...expensive though!

Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%

I am only 15, and mine goes black too. It must be bosy chemistry. Who knows, maybe I'm radioactive! JK
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:54

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

My dog (sib. husky) had mange when we rescued him from the shelter, and one of the treatments from the vet were these stinky ass lime sulfur dips... he'd come home yellow where his fur shouldve been white, and when I would pet him and play with him, all my silver would turn black..

I would clean it with a polishing cloth, unless it was really bad.. then I would use Brasso and a toothbrush or a rag over some newspaper and scrub my jewelry til it shined up...which took only a min or two..

so far though, other than the sulfur dips, my jewelry only tarnishes over a long period of time, just from wear and exposure to the elements.. Good luck!!

Brasso works really well though.. nod..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 01:30
Registered Member

BF:
Smile thanks everyone

I suppose it could be a coincedence but it's jewellery I've been wearing fro 8 yrs so it does seem a bit strange that a week into Atkins it goes black overnight. Maybe my body chemistry is changing ?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 01:49
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Could be some food you're preparing since you've started???? No idea, sound mysterious to me.
Still, you are doing great, keep it up - soon you'll have another problem (like me) - rings slipping of the fingers Be careful, I nearly lost mine twice!
Take care!
Alina
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 05:32
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I found this from http://www.jewelrygenius.com/tarnish.html:

TARNISHING OF STERLING SILVER JEWELRY
Sterling silver is copper-silver alloy and is somewhat softer than most gold alloys. Therefore, it is more likely to be abraded to black dust by relative movement between the jewelry and the skin or clothing.
Sterling silver jewelry has a pronounced tendency to tarnish. The tarnish is always due to the contact with sulphur compounds. The main cause of tarnishing of silver is a trace of hydrogen sulfide gas in the air. This gas is particularly present in smoke from burnt raw fuel, such as coal or oil; in some strong smelling foodstuffs, such as eggs and onions; in some fish or shellfish; and in polluted air.
The tarnish may turn the jewelry black and may also be rubbed off on the skin or clothing. A few people with especially moist skin may find that the sterling silver stains their skin green. This is due to the copper component of the silver alloy. When this occurs you should polish your jewelry frequently and use an absorbent powder on those moist skin areas which come into contact with your jewelry.

OTHER PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS
Soap, detergent, wax, polish, and cosmetic creams may build up under a ring, causing a type of dermatitis. A burning sensation and redness of the skin results. To prevent this, you should remove all rings before using soap or detergent, and clean the rings frequently.
The wearing of silver jewelry when manipulating photographic chemicals or solutions may cause staining of the skin. When silver is attacked by a chemical solution such as nitric acid, the solution of silver salt formed is reduced back to silver by the skin. This silver is in a finely divided form and causes an intensely black stain. Silver jewelry should be removed before working with photographic chemicals or solutions.
Medications in the wearer's system, especially certain antibiotics, can also cause jewelry to blacken or discolor. In in some rare cases, the wearer's basic body chemistry reacts to the alloys in both gold and silver and cause tarnishing. A solution to both of these situations may often be had by wearing a higher karat of jewelry: 18K or 22K instead of 14K.
This information is not offered as an excuse, but to clarify the reasons, provide the facts, and offer solutions for those who may encounter the problems described.

Also from http://saltlakesilver.com/info.html#black:

Customers may think that faulty manufacturing might be the problem when a ring "turns," blackening or discoloring the skin and clothing, or the jewelry itself. However, that is not the case. The most common reason is metallic abrasion, caused by makeup on skin or clothing. Cosmetics often contain compounds harder than the jewelry itself, which wear or rub off very tiny particles. Very finely divided metal always appears black rather than metallic, so it looks like a jet-black dust. When this dust comes into contact with absorbent surfaces such as skin or clothing, it sticks, forming a black smudge. To prevent this, try switching cosmetics. If this is not possible, remove rings and other jewelry while applying them, and clean skin areas in contact with jewelry with soap and water. Another cause is actual corrosion of the metals. Silver does not corrode, but its primary alloys will do so, forming very dark chemical compounds under moist or wet conditions. When you perspire, fats and fatty acids released can cause corrosion of silver jewelry, especially when exposed to warmth and air. This problem can be worse in seacoast and semitropical areas, where chlorides combine with perspiration to form a corrosive element that discolors skin. Smog fumes gradually attack jewelry and are evident as a tarnish that rubs off on the skin. Remove jewelry often and use an absorbent powder, free of abrasives, on skin that comes into contact with jewelry. Even the design of jewelry can be an influence. Wide shanks have more surface area to contact abrasives or corrosives. Concave surfaces inside a shank form collection points that trap moisture and contaminants, also causing a type of dermatitis. Remove all rings before using soaps, cleaning compounds or detergents, and clean the rings with a polishing cloth frequently (we offer one for a very small price). As well as solving the problem, you’ll be amazed at how much better the rings look!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 13:23
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb aha!!

<When you perspire, fats and fatty acids released can cause corrosion of silver jewelry,>

That could be it then! If my diet is higher in fats then surely I'll be sweating more fats out? It's very strange because it's a necklace i've been wearing for years and it went black overnight. I've bought some silver cleaner today so I'll see how soon it happens again.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 13:34
Slothy Superhero

Yeah, I think it is either the keytones being released in sweat or maybe eggs if you eat a lot of them-they have sulfur in them, right? Just contact with eggs might do it.

In any case, it doesn't sound like a huge problem-except for making you look funny.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 01:22
Registered Member

BF:
Default no - not a huge problem

but one to think about. If my body chemistry is changing enough to affect my jewellery then some pretty powerful stuff must be going on . AND it took me an hour to clean the stupid thing!!!

Are you a Harry potter fan by any chance? lol My kids have Chamber of secrets on video and watch it over and over.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 04:52
Slothy Superhero

Yeah, I would say your body chemistry is changing. Kind of neat actually.

Yes! Love Harry Potter! Read all the books, seen the movies. I was actually kind of Hermioneish as a kid-a bossy know it all.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 12:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default Harry potter

I bought the books for the kids but read them all myself first! I often worry how we Brits are portrayed in movies as very quaint. Bridget Jones made me laugh - if a girl wandered around London in her underpants she would either be raped, mugged or sent to a mental institution. Bridget was just tutted at by a couple of old ladies!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:35
Slothy Superhero

So was Harry Potter too quaint?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default well

it's a bit hard to say as we don't have a school of wizardry (as far as I'm aware anyway!)

He's a bit of a goody two shoes but it IS a fantasy so I suppose I'll let him off.