Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Pancakes let me down

I have had a canister of Atkins Bake Mix in my cupboard for a few months and am not overflowing with ideas of how to use it. This weekend I decided to make pancakes using the recipe on the cannister - the picture of the pancakes on the label looked pretty enticing.

Well, what a huge disappointment. One of my pet peeves is when a recipe turns out nothing like how it is pictured, and this definitely fit into that category. The pancakes on the label look like regular, fluffy pancakes with some substance to them. What I got (following the recipe as written) was a liquidy substance that would barely qualify as batter, which made very runny, thin crepes. Nothing whatsoever like what was pictured on the label. They didn't even taste all that great - if I want a crepe, Barbo's Thin Egg Pancakes (recipe on this site) is a lot better. GRRRR.

Anyone have a similar experience, or any suggestions? I don't crave pancakes or anything - just looking for something other than bacon and eggs for a weekend breakfast.

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 14:29

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%
Default I was disappointed too :(

Except, mine were too heavy. I felt like I had eaten a brick. Bad texture, bad taste.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 14:36

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

See I use the protein powder and I get 4 or 5 pancakes, no carbs and they are great, I get the vanilla powder and put some cinnamon in the mix and it tastes great!!!! I have the Atkins mix just haven't tried it yet!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 18:58

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Pocobarb, I had a similar reaction. Other than using Atkin's bake mix for breading things I have not been very happy with it (even then I mix in almond flour and possibly crumbled low carb bread).

An alternative way to go is to buy a pouch of Atkin's banana nut muffin and bread mix. It makes very good waffles and pancakes if you just dilute it a little with extra water, milk, or cream. Yum!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 19:16

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I eat Dana Carpenter's perfect protein pancakes, which is basically whey, eggs, and ricotta cheese. I do modify it a bit, adding a bit of oat bran, oat flour, or almond flour and a touch of splenda.

My kids even like these. Althought they are not a perfect substitute, they are way better then atkins!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 19:48

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The recipe for those is in Dana Carpender's book "500 Low-Carb Recipes". If you find it, please don't post it on this board as it is copyrighted. But do make them and enjoy. I hear her cookbook is very good.

Our own chef and founder, Karen Barnaby, is about to publish a cookbook that is full of her wonderful LC creations. Look for that one soon.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 20:14

Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%

Check out this site, there are a lot of really good recipes here and a lot of them use Atkins bake mix.

http://www.headed-west.com/sherries_recipes.htm
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 07:21

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey Erinleigh,
How do you make those pancakes exactly? And what brand of protein powder do you use??

Thanks,
Tracey
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 07:31
Registered Member

Stats: 190/162.5/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 69%

I use the Atkins Deluxe Pancake and Waffle mix and think it's great! I have them once a week as a treat and think they are as good as regular pancakes. Just make sure you get the Deluxe version and not just the regular pancakes cause they are gross.

Melissa
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 17:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I purchased one carton of Atkins mix only. THen I found alternate recipes on the web.
These pancakes are very good, and easy
Wheat Gluten Pancakes.
2-1/2 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 tbsp heavy cream (whipping)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp splenda ( 1 pkt)
You can add flavouring of your choice, banana, maple or vanilla. 1 tsp should be plenty.
Mix all together with whisk. Melt small amount butter in skillet or griddle add 1/2 mixture. Makes 2 large pancakes. 5.9 net carbs
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 21:41

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

Can someone give me a link to Barbo's Thin Egg Pancakes? I can;t find them on this site
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 15:40

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

i've tried making pancakes with atkins baking mix as well and i know exactly what you're talking about...very runny and flat pancakes. i have to agree with lissy; the mix for pancakes and waffles is great.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 18:16

Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for all the great replies - what a great network of information. I have managed to curb my appetite for a lot of my 'old' high carb foods (which I think is constructive in following the LC WOL) but every now and again I get a hankering for something bready or cakey and as I say, was hugely disappointed in the Atkins bake mix pancakes. I will try some of the other suggestions, and check out the site someone posted for other things to do with the bake mix. Does anyone know - can I substitute it for flour in some of my old recipes? If so, is it a 1:1 substitution?

BTW, here is the link to the Barbo's pancakes, which, as advertised, are thin. I can attest that they taste better than the Atkins recipe (even though they use the Atkins Bake Mix) and the sweetener-less version makes a good wrap for leftover meat.

Cheers, Barb

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast105.html
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 20:09

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%

Try the Mini Carb or Carbsense Buckwheat they are very good.