Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/102/102
BF:18
Progress: 100%
Question How many is possible

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I forgot I had joined back in January. LOL But, I have a question. I do my own type of low carb dieting. I weigh 102 right now. And mind you, I dont do a lot of exercise...but was wondering if anyone knew the most carb intake someone can have a day.

Thanks

kaytlin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap_082.jpg (11.7 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/100
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi
start with 20 grams if you're unsure and then work your way up. no one can tell you for sure, this has to be negotiated b/w you and your body. by the way, you don't have to eat a certain number of carbs forever. if you feel like you are gaining weight, go back to 20 grams for two weeks. then rotate it to a higher number when you feel it is okay. and so on, and for the length of time that works for you.

my friend does this: she'd eat atkin's diet for 6 days for the week (30-35 grams of carb a day) and then splurge on the weekend (eat whatever she wants). of course she is already slim and she is loving the diet because on six days of the week, she gets to eat good healthy foods and then one day of the week she gets to indulge in her sweet tooth without feeling guilty.

whatever works for you, and it might mean you have to fail a couple of times before figuring it out (or maybe not), keep us posted...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 16:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Maintainance levels of carb intake vary from person to person. Some find that they can maintain at 100 grams of carb per day or more, others find that they need to be closer to 50 or 60 grams.
The important thing is to make sure that the types of carbs that you do choose to eat are low glycemic and as unprocessed as possible; whole grains, whole fruits (not juices), and vegetables.
Since you're not looking to lose more weight, I'd suggest that you start in the range of 45-60 grams of carb per day and see how you do. You can always adjust it up or down as necessary.
Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/102/102
BF:18
Progress: 100%

Hi,

Well right now I am not really sure how many I consume..I have two cups of coffee and maybe some peanut butter. That is all I eat w/ carbs....so maybe 25-40 a day....tops.

And I am doing good to eat one meal a day. Going through an eating disorder right now.

I am trying to figure out a better way for me to keep my weight off w/ eating more.

I thought more of a low carb diet instead of a no food diet would work.

Kaytlin
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 19:39

Plan: protein power
Stats: 133/???/112 Female 164cm
BF:size 10/ 8 /(6/4)

hey i've onlt just started LC so i'm no expert by any shot. however i have suffered with eating disorders 4 5 years. if ur only eatting one meal and ur at maintenance stage i suggest eatting a meal that contains carbohydrate like brown rice. also if u can't manage 2 eat why not try using the shakes 2 keep ur calorie intake up, i know i used 2 live off them and i can handle them better psychologically than food.
good luck
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 22:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/100
BF:

Yup, I've had eating disorders too and it only gets worse if you starve yourself. If I'm guessing right, you know deep inside that starving is not working anymore and that is why you are searching for a way out. Remember you are not weak for stopping starvation diets. You are actually smart, like all anorexics are. We just don't know how to channel our energies. Starving only works for a while but now you feel like you are not the one in control anymore

Here's what worked for me: experiment with foods and identify your trigger foods. You have to be honest with yourself in this process. I know that bread (any kind), peanut butter, and processed meats are my trigger foods. They might not make me binge in one meal but they keep my mind obsessed with counting grams of this and that. Eventually I will end up bingeing on all other foods like donuts and ice-cream too. Foods I feel 'safe' eating are eggs, olive oil, and natural meat.

I wish I can write pages to share with you my recovery. I know it's scary but you know what, it's WORTH IT! Here's a secret: starvation eventually makes you fat. I know it's hard to digest that because it sure feels empowering what we starve. Eating can feel like too much right after starving. You feel like you can eat the whole world when you get hunry. But don't worry, once you eat enough fats and proteins, your appetite will be fine. I don't want to give you rules because I remember when I was recovering, I felt like people always tried to tell me what to do and i usually rebelled by hurting myself. But here are a few suggestions that work for me:

1) Eat breakfast. Keep it very simple. I usually have three fried eggs in rich olive oil. This meal did not trigger any binge urge for me.
2) Eat lunch. Have meats saute in olive oil.
3) Why olive oil? it aids digestion - anorexic system is weak right now from all the starvation. Better digestion means better calories burning. Allow olive oil to help heal you.
4) Dinner - it's your free ticket. Allow yourself to experiment. Eat peanut butter, cream cheese, etc...(or an Atkin Shake only if you need to let your digestion rest)

Please take everything at your pace. My first round of recovery was a failure because I was trying to do it to please my parents. But I finally realize that I want my health back and now I am recovered - for me. Please come back for support whenever you need to...