Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/150/140
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 85%
Default new user- candida???

Just found this website yesterday - what a great resource! I wish that I had found it years ago!! I have only just heard of someone having systemic candida about a month ago. Ran across a girl who was on this special diet for it. Since then. it has got me to thinking . (okay, that's never a good thing, but anyway...) I have been plagued with these symptoms for the past few months or so, and in reading up on the candida, it seems to make sense. I have been battling chronic sinusitis for over a year now - went to ENTs, etc - finally has come down to that I go on antibiotics for ten days, am off for two weeks, and have to restart, because the infection flares back up. With that goes the headaches and lightheadedness.... I also stay on this side of nausea (feels like I'm pregnant, but I know that I'm not). For the past six weeks, now, I have had this infection on my fingers. The skin under and around my nails will swell up, break open and fester for a few days. Then, the skin will kind of harden up over the sore and the whole thing will just peel off. I actually have some fingers opening up as others are healing. I find that things seem to get worse when I get physically exhausted, or am really stressed. I've had IBS for years, so have always attibuted the diarrhea to that. I actually broke down and made an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow. Am I crazy? Are these things really related, or am I wanting them to be related to find an easy cure? Any help would be appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Kaufman, Atkins
Stats: 142/130/110
BF:22% or so
Progress: 38%

You sound like you are in a pretty bad way with candida and/or other fungus. The good news is that it can definitely be helped. The bad news is that it takes time patience and a good bit of discipline.

Yeast etc., are normally found in the human body but when they become overgrown due to antiobiotics, poor food choices, etc. they cause major problems, as in your case. The antibiotics also kill off the "friendly" bacteria in your gut.

To treat this situation you must kill and bad buys and replace the good ones. A good protocol would consists of a probiotic formula to replace good bacteria such as "primadophilus" in the refrigerated section of your health food store. And also a couple of supplements to kill the fungus--good choices are "caprylic acid" in combination with either garlic capsules or olive leaf extract.

For the first couple of weeks on this program you may feel pretty "punky" as the yeast begins a process called "die off". The cell wall bursts as it is killed releasing the toxins into your blood stream. It will pay off though and you should notice improvement within a month or so. This treatment will likely be necessary for several months. There are other antifungals available and many good books on the subject. One good one is called "Tired So Tired" and the "yeast connection" by William G. Crook, M.D.

Another (I forget the name) is available on the website"
www.iknowthecause.com

I hope this info helps! I've dealt with the problem alot and I know how awful it is.

Marj
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 18:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/150/140
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 85%

Thanks so much for the information - I am going to check out that website - it's hard to believe that this is so common! I'd never heard of it before!