Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 10:05

Plan: fat flush
Stats: 150/145/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question lots of questions

hi-
i am very happy to find this site!
some of my friends are doing fat flush and i read the book and it seemed to make lots of sense to me. i have known for a long time that i don't do well with carbs. about 15 years ago i tried fit for life but was always hungry w/o mixing protein and carbs.

i started almost a month ago cutting out caffeine and sugar. i started cutting down all my carbs too and eating more veg, drinking water, etc. to get ready for the fat flush. i felt fantastic, tons of energy. don't know if i lost any weith because i didn't weigh or measure myself but clothes are essentially the same.

now i have started on it for real. i am soooo hungry without any carbs, and end up eating huge portions of protein - probably close to 12 oz. instead of the 4 suggested. no matter how much veg i eat i am not satisfied. then at the end of the day for the past couple days i have ended up what feels like bingeing on some chocolate, whole grain cereal or nuts. i am eating tiny portions but it feels like bingeing.

i have a hard time being this involved (obsessed?) about what i eat. i have never been hugely overweight but always feel lots better when i am thinner. my weight fluctuates lots and i have never done well with dieting, it always ends up setting up a binge response.

i have some big health issues. i am recovering from a traumatic brain injury for 4 years now. i just got over pretty much 4 years of nausea and the mainstays of my diet were coke and pretzels. i have found that when i eat more i tend to lose weight.

although i would very much like to get down to a smaller size i am dieting mainly for my health. i really liked what fat flush says about liver cleansing, etc.

my main question is - do i need to be so strict? should i up my flax to stave off hunger, or is it better to add a rice cake or small amount of whole grain to my meals and see if this helps? also there is no dairy for the first two weeks of this diet.

the phase 3 of this plan seems pretty easy to follow which is why i chose this plan in addition to it seeming nutritionally sound and do-able . has anyone tried just doing that?

and i am also wondering where the glycemic index might fit in with this plan.

thanks in advance for your help.

wendy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/100
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi Wendy
I am so glad to have read your posting. I'm doing Atkins for my sanity and my health too. Weight is not a big issue with me but I really need to get my food obsession straigthened out. First of all I think that everyone should experiment with everything and see what works for them. I will share with you what works for me and I hope that my experience will help you in making your own dietary decisions:

1) Eat enough fats and completely cut out the carbs. You will NOT get any withdrawal symptoms if you eat enough fats. I use olive oil because I love the way they taste and they are very healing in that they soothe me physically and emotionally. I use it to fry my eggs (don't use bacon fats - i know some people think that they can save calories by doing that, but olive oil is a lot better).

2) Set a goal for yourself. My goal is to go on the Induction Plan for two weeks and then go on to Phase II. Two weeks is not a long time and it is manageable for me. Some people want to be on Induction forever because it helps them get thin faster. But I know that two weeks is enough for me. So it's important to know how much you are willing to handle.

3) We've used foods to hurt ourselves in the past, but did you know that if you go on this diet, the foods you eat can actually heal you? I was on a high-carb low-fat low-cal diet and i was driving myself crazy. But with this diet, I find serenity and energy.

Just ask more questions and more people will help you out. I didn't feel like eating breakfast this morning, so i posted a posting asking for support and the replies really helped! I ate a good breakfast and sailed through the morning very smoothly! We're here to help each other... don't stop asking for help until you are well again...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
completely cut out the carbs.

Don't do that! No low carb eating plan supported on this site is a "no carb" plan!
All plans encourage "controlled carbs" in the form of at least plenty of vegies.

Hi Wendy,

Doreen T (one of our administrators) is following the Fat Flush plan at present. Unfortunately she's having computer problems at present, but I'm sure she'll be able to give you some advice.

Meanwhile, I wonder if maybe another low carb plan might suit you better? Have a look at our plan summaries in "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen.
Just a suggestion.

I applaud you for improving your health this way!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:27
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I am with Rosebud on this one. Fat flushes are AS A LAST RESORT to just get your body working again to go back to healthy eating.

LC is healthy and works.

It is so important to eat natural fiber to help your body with vitamins, minerals and yes to FLUSH out extra weight too.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 15:54
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Fat flushes are AS A LAST RESORT

Hi Lisa,

The Fat Flush Plan, by Ann Louise Gittleman is nothing like Atkins' Fat Fast. They do sound the same though, and you are not the first person to confuse them.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Wendymae,

Indeed, Gittleman's Fat Flush Plan is a lower-carb program that eliminates refined, processed carbs and sugars, as well as dairy and nuts. The emphasis is on lean proteins, plenty of vegetables, low-glycemic fruits and GOOD fats, such as fresh flax oil. Later stages permit small portions of whole grain or a starchy vegetable such as squash or carrots. The program also specifies certain herbs and supplements which have thermogenic properties (such as ginger, cinnamon and cayenne) and support/strengthen liver function (milk thistle, globe artichoke, etc)

Bloom has written a good review of the book, you can read it here.

I've had good success following the first phase of the plan, but I did modify it a bit .. I only had one portion of fruit each day, instead of 2, and increased the fat a little, to keep the calories up. My carbs averaged 40g net per day (60g total, minus 20g fiber).

If followed correctly, or with sensible modifications to ensure healthful nutrition ... then FFP can be a good program to follow. But you do need discipline and able to exert the necessary portion control. For some people, the sweetness of the fruit may trigger their carb addiction -- If you're experiencing uncontrollable cravings then a lower carb - higher fat level might be better for you to get this under control.

As for the Glycemic Index, the FFP is very much in keeping with those principles, since the vegetables and fruits listed are the lowest on the GI scale.

I strongly urge you to re-read the book .. it should clear up some misconceptions you seem to have. For instance .. protein you are permitted to have 2 eggs PLUS at least 8 oz lean meats and isolated whey protein powder every day. More protein is recommended if you're very active (or male).

hth,

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 17:36
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Thanks Doreen - I was thinking fat fast not fat flush.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:59

Plan: fat flush
Stats: 150/145/130
BF:
Progress: 25%

hi all-
thanks for your suggestions.
i am not having cravings, but i am really hungry. i have no desire for sweets, i am just scrounging for something to make the empty rumbling feeling go away. also i am kinda weak and lightheaded, esp. when i try to exercise.
i don't know, i was feeling so great in my weeks gearing up to this, i wonder if what i was doing then would be better for me even if i don't lose weight.
also i meant i am having those large protein portions at each meal.
i read some of the summaries, but they didn't tell me enough i guess i will have to read more, try more. maybe tomorrow i will try to add some more oils. 2 TBS of flax is not so much...
one of the things i really like about this plan is the whole foods.
does anyone know if these plans work if you skip the first couple weeks and just do the maintenance part?
thanks,
wendy
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 21:05
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
i read some of the summaries, but they didn't tell me enough i guess i will have to read more,

Sounds like a good idea to me. Go back to Gittleman's book - you should find as much info there as you need.

Or if you meant summaries of other plans, you can always get the books out of the library.

Cheers.

Rosebud