Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default New Clothes, but what size?

I have lost nearly 50 pounds so far, and I am still wearing a good bit of what I wore before to work and a few things in my closet that used to be a tad to small. I've always hated clothes shopping, it would leave me in tears all the time. I need new clothes, but I still have that fear of shopping. Instead of going in and just trying any size on, and if I pick a size too small - while it will still make me feel good to be in a smaller than I was size - I think it still might depress me a bit. Anyone have a good size chart for US clothing? I know all manufactures/styles won't be the same, but I just want a general idea. I want to go clothes shopping armed and ready.

Measurements:
45 inches bust
37 inches waist (high waist)
49 inches hips

Boy is the fat redistributing itself, but it is TOM and I am losing, so I am happy (sort-of)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 07:11

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Talon, I think when I had those measurements I could wear a size 16. I know at my heaviest my wedding dress was a size 18, but for some reason those always seem to run small.

You are doing fantastic so far. Keep up the great work
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 09:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think AgonyCat is right. My measurements are a bit higher than yours and I can wear 18's comfortably in most brands and some 16's in others. I plan on ordering some slacks through Land's End and am going to get the 16's. (I can pull the 20's off without unzipping or unbuttoning them). Even if they are a bit tight now, by the time I really want to wear them (October), they should fit me nicely.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 09:14

BF:

Thanks ladies for your replies. I will work up the courage this week to go shopping - I know I can do it! I just need to adjust my thinking a bit as far as size go, I value your opinions, but my mind is having a hard time grasping that I just might be a 16 or 18 - I haven't been that size in ages! I started off this WOE at 242 and wearing 24 and some 26's, 2X and 3X's.

I think clothes shopping is one of those mental healings that I have to go through - which is a good thing, and all thanks to this WOE.

Maybe I should get a new T-Shirt that says, "Dr. Atkins is my Hero!"
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 09:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congrats - you may be dismayed at clothes shopping, but "yay" for you anyway!

If you want sizing info, go <a target="_blank" href="http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/help/0,1452,1_26215_26855_26861___,00.html?sid=2292049339805145710">here</a>. I hope the link works: it's landsend.com . They have sizing charts for shirts, pants, etc. I assume their sizes are pretty much standard.

Have fun.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:01

BF:

I have an analytical nature, sometimes that is good, sometimes (such as this) it is bad bad bad!

I've lost nearly 50 lbs, and my size (apparently) from a 3X to a 1X. Then I look at the sizes associated with 3X (24W/26W) and a 1X (16W/18W) and a XL (18/20). Giving that the "W" is apparently cut 2 inches more generaous that the non "W", I suppose this makes sense. I just never realized that there was a difference between "1X" and "XL"

Will it take me another 50 pounds before I get to a large (14/16)? I'd love to get to a 10/12, but now I am not sure about what I would wear at 140 pounds.

I think I need to go sit down, head between my knees and breath deeply.... and Stop analyizing right now!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:22

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

The W sizes also have a different waist position, i.e. higher waist. I am somewhat larger than you and am wearing 18W/20W, but will shortly be in the next sizes down; I started out in 3X (24/26). They are also proportioned for a larger bust (i.e. C-D cup instead of B).

Also, for me, an elastic waistband is still essential and the non-W size clothes have far fewer of those. They are also not proportioned for wider hips.

Actually, I prefer to make my own clothes because then I can get them to fit my shape properly. And the clothes I make are not generally styles found in the stores -- somewhat unconventional.

I recently got rid of most of my larger clothes and made/bought a whole bunch of new ones in smaller sizes. It was great. It happened to be at the time of year when they sell colors I can wear. Winter colors look horrible on me. And I prefer lighter-weight clothing as well.

Then I hit a stall and actually went up a couple pounds. That was scarey. I knew that I couldn't gain much of the weight I have lost because I wouldn't have anything to wear. But now I'm glad I did it. I broke my stall, and not having any clothes to wear if I gained weight kept me on the straight and narrow.

So go out and buy those clothes! It will be a great feeling/experience and ultimately you will feel so wonderful and thin. And throw out all your fat clothes. You will never need them again. And after you do, post a picture of you in your new wardrobe.

;-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:32

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Talon

I think clothes shopping is one of those mental healings that I have to go through - which is a good thing, and all thanks to this WOE.

Will it take me another 50 pounds before I get to a large (14/16)? I'd love to get to a 10/12, but now I am not sure about what I would wear at 140 pounds.

I think I need to go sit down, head between my knees and breath deeply.... and Stop analyizing right now!

Talon, I am not sure when I hit the size 10/8 range. I was still wearing my "fat" clothes up until a month or so ago. Wearing pants with elastic in them I knew the waist was getting more comfy. I had to go on a job interview and realized I had no business wear in a size 12 up. On a fluke I tried on a size 10 suit I had in the closet and it fit. So I got brave and tried the size 8 on. It too fit. Boy was I shocked.

I can relate to the mental thing. To this day when I go shopping for clothes I start at the 14s and have to remind myself I am thinner now. You may be able to get into a size 12 or 10 sooner than you think I didn't ever think I would be wearing size 8/10s within a year of me going on this WOL.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 12:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%

Clothes shopping can be so intimidating. One thing that works well for me is to tell the salesperson the truth about having lost weight. When I say: "I am here because I have just dropped 3 sizes and need some new stuff," what an amazing, caring reaction I usually get back.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 12:11
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

That's a great idea Twiggy....to enlist the help of a good salesperson! If you're still in a losing mode you want to get the most out of the clothes you're buying so maybe they have better ideas what will keep working as you lose more weight!

And Talon.... just to give you an idea....I'm 5'7"....I was a 16 at 180, a 14 at 161 (sometimes a 12!)....so no, you definitely won't have to lose another 50 pounds. I think too, that you'll start buying more tailored clothes (because you CAN!) and will have to replace your wardrobe about every 15-20 lbs. Tailored clothes that are too big drive me NUTS!!! DH bought me a couple of suits that were too snug back in June, because they were beautiful and on sale...."knowing" I'd lose the weight. He was right! They fit perfectly now. So don't hesitate to buy something that is just a little snug...think of it as new Pant-O-Meters!!

Way to go girl!! ENJOY your shopping trip!! I think you WILL!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 22:20

Plan: low cal/low carb
Stats: 235.0/215.4/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

This may not work for everyone, and it's a bit expensive up front, but in the end it's no more than you would have spent over time:

when I started LC-ing, I went to the Levi's store and bought a pair of Levi's jeans in sizes 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, and 8. (Yes, I got a weird look from the saleswoman in her size 2's.) I can fit into the 18 and the 16 now, and the others sit there on the shelf and smile at me. Next time I need to buy new clothes, I can try on the jeans I already have to determine my appropriate size. I always feel more confident in a store if I know my size. It certainly cuts down on the "Do you have this in a bigger size?" nightmare. And of course, I would have bought the jeans anyway, so it's nice and convenient.

I would only recommend doing this if you have a certain style of pants (like jeans) that you really like and won't want not to have. It's also a great motivation. Just resist the temptation to try on the 8's--there will be tears.

Ciao,
Kypraia
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 23:50

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I started out in about a 22 at 240 lbs. Now at just over 200, my measurements are 42-33-41 and I'm in the 12-14 range. A loose style or some stretch gives me a 12, a straight cut in heavy denim is a 14. I'm entirely out of the plus size department. I know I'll see 10s eventually and I wonder about 8s.

I tried to pretty much skip the size 14 when buying clothes. I had and/or scavenged a few 16s to wear in transition, and my 16 slim jeans I still wear on occasion for baggy Saturdays. They hang off my hipbones now and the arse and thighs sag from here to sunday, but I sort of like knowing that I couldn't even get them all the way up when I started, and I remember vividly the day I could lay down on the bed and zip them. I have a lot of 12s in my closet and I'm slowly reclaiming them. When I shrink out of those, then I may do a whole new wardrobe.

Cheers,

Friday
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 23:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey girl. Great topic. Seems like we are all shaped different and that sometimes weight has very little to do with what size we wear. Three years ago i got down to 180 (5'7") and could wear a size 12 from most place, although levi dockers just don't seem to fit me no matter what I am doing.... I am right now 185 and fit into some 15's and 16's. I too was still wearing all my big clothes, and almost reveling in how loose they felt, of course I also looked like a total nerd in these big baggie slacks. I got rid of a bunch of them today. there is now no going back. Also, today , for the first time in years, I reached into the back of the closet and pulled out a DRESS a kind of long, summery kind of thing. DH thought it was wonderful.
Incidentally, I am still loving your new avatar!!!