Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:02

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 197/195/145 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default How long should I stay on induction?

Of course the Atkins book says 2 weeks, but it mentions that you can stay on longer "if you have a lot of weight you want to lose" (not an exact quote, I'm paraphrasing)

Well, I have about 47 pounds to go. I'm doing well on Induction, kicked the carb cravings and I think the brain fogginess is clearing. Any suggestions as to how long I should stay on induction, or just transition to OWL as soon as my 2 weeks are up (next Monday)?

Dan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:36
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It's totally up to you. If you're comfortable with the Induction foods, stick with it for another few weeks. If you're getting bored, add in some new things.

I have been at Induction-level carbs (20-25 a day) for 6 months now. However, I have added in a few OWL items like SF candy, low-carb bread, nuts, berries, etc. It's up to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:55
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Ditto Hillary.
I have also been on Induction level carbs 20 - 25 for about 2 1/2 months and still enjoying the foods I eat. However, I have added in a few extra vegetables, SF Candies, etc. I still eat a wide variety of foods and am taking my vitamins so I think your fine.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:57
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've been in Induction for 4 weeks. Just started OWL on Sunday but if the weight stalls I'm going back to Induction till most of the weight comes off.

It's up to you.

Good luck,

Lily
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 13:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It really is up to you, but don't skip OWL and Premaintanance all together. They are how you rebuild carb tolerence and learn about your body. You may find you can handle high levels of carbs as long as you stay away from certain food groups (for some that can mean no nuts or fruits, fo rme it's no high fat dairy *sob* )

Definetly stick it out the minimum 2 weeks. After that your body will probably stop losing for a week or so as it catches it's breath. That's when you need to sit down and figure out how you feel and what your goals are. Are you bored with induction foods, or quite happy. Is there something spacific you want to try. As long as the weight is coming off are you willing to let it slow down in return for a much wider variety of food choices.

Remember too slow weight loss can be good. Losing it slow and steady means it is more likely to stay off. It also means few chances of stretch marks and loose skin. Atm my bottom looks like it has a misfitting flesh colored siut on it :P I got rid of the cellulite, but there is loose skin tha tlooks like wrinkles in a glove. I also think loose skin and muscle (mostly from 2 c-sections) is the reason I still have a kangaroo gut even though my upper torso is looking great.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 15:58
Registered Member

Stats: 234.5/195.2/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I have been pretty much on induction since I started (carb wise anyway)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 19:30
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

I say play it by ear...what I have heard is that you stay on induction until you lose half the total weight you want to lose, and then start OWL. I personally have been staying under 20 carbs but having occasional non induction foods, like bars here and there. As long as you are losing weight, that is what matters! Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 21:53

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

I stay at 20-25 carbs, still after 8 months.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 10:06

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

I think the problem a lot of us encounter when we reach OWL (or the opportunity to choose it) is the choices become greater and we get excited about adding different foods to our exceptable list. My prob was adding these foods and, before I knew it, there wasn't very much room in my 20-25 g alotment left for VEGGIES!!
I believe that it is most important that we still get the majority of our carbs from "live" foods if we want to remain healthy and still lose weight. Make sure you are using a good percentage of your total carbs for the healthy stuff (as in induction) and monitor closely what other foods you introduce and their effect on your body. My 2 cents!!