Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 15:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%
Question Stopped losing in Induction, go on to OWL?

Hi all!

I have been on Atkins in the induction phase for 1 month this week and have had great success my first two weeks of induction - I lost 12lbs. However, for the past two weeks my weight and measurements have been sitting at the same place. No budging.

I have not added anything new to my foods, get adequate veggies, dont drink coffee or caffeine, no shakes or bars. Keep a journal on another site. Just trying to eat simple, natural foods with no carbs! I drink a ton of water, but could exercise more. I havent used ketosis strips.

I was planning on staying on induction until Oct. 1 (or when I got to within 8-10 lbs of my goal weigtht - about 2-4 lbs away). However, since I havent budged, Im wondering if I should just move on to the next phase? Im not bored with what Im eating, but it seemed weird to not be losing anymore. I not sure I want to "slow down" the process by moving on.

The only other factor I can think of that might affect my stasis is this week was TOM and I made the mistake of eating bacon and some SPAM (yuck! lol NEVER AGAIN!) last week. I swelled up like a balloon. I know I wont be eating processes/nitrate meats again!

Does anyone have any suggestions about staying in induction, perhaps this is just "a phase" or should I moving on ? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:38

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

hi lebette,

Sometimes moving to OWL can be and advantage because the slight increse in carbs, particularly form veggies can help. SOme people actually loose better on 30g carbs than they do on 20.

My suggestion would be to move on, and relax about a slow down in your loss as it is completely normal and far more sustainable

Good luck
Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 17:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congrats on your success thus far. TOM plus "spam-swelling" will probably have an impact. Since you're relatively close to your goal, it'll be slow going. I think whether or not to ditch induction depends on how much of a hurry you're in. If it were me, I'd just go to OWL and not sweat it. But that's just me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 18:57

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Yes.

Um.. do you still have your period? You might want to give it a few days after that to see if you lose any..

But since you've been on induction for a month, yea I think you should move to OWL soon too.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:52
Registered Member

Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%

OKay - and the consensus is (!).....move on to OWL!
lol

Thanks for all your great feedback. I think I will wait until my last day of TOM and register my weight there before moving into the new phase. I want to get extra practice trying to get precisely the carb counts down (I probably er about 2-3 +/- each day) before moving on...on OWL it seems you have to be really precise about it.

I think my body may just be feeling a little resistant, too, being closer to my goal weight.

All your input has been really helpful. THank you!
This plan is still so exciting to me