Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 11:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation Vigorous Exercise on the Decline

Fewer Americans Exercising Regularly By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Medical News

Jan. 15, 2003 -- Seems like Americans are getting better at packing on the pounds than lifting them. A new survey shows fewer Americans regularly exercised in 2002 than in 2001. And only about one in four Americans is following the advice of major sports-medicine experts to include weight training in their workout program.

The Gallup Health and Healthcare Survey shows the number of Americans that regularly engage in vigorous exercise - enough to cause large increases in breathing and heart rate for at least 20 minutes -- dropped from 52% in 2001 to 45% in 2002. These discouraging numbers follow multiple reports last year of Americans getting larger -- with weight-related conditions, such as diabetes, reaching epidemic proportions.

No change was found in the number of Americans who regularly participate in moderate exercise at least once a week. This would include activities such as walking or gardening, which can slightly increase breathing or heart rate. About four in five adults fell into this category in both 2001 and 2002, including about a third who exercise moderately five to seven times a week and a quarter once or twice a week.

Researchers divided the survey participants into the following activity levels:
  • High activity -- participating in vigorous exercise three or more times a week.
  • Medium activity -- engaging in vigorous exercise one or two times a week.
  • Low activity -- participating in vigorous exercise less than once a week but in moderate exercise three or more times a week.
  • Sedentary -- engaging in vigorous exercise less than once a week and in moderate exercise less than three times a week.

Most Americans fell under the low activity or sedentary categories. Only 28% of the American public were considered highly active and 17% moderately active.

For the first time, this annual survey also included a question about weight training, in accordance with recent recommendations from several major health organizations. Almost 75% of the people said they never do so.

The researchers also found that the number of adults over 50 who said they do weight training regularly was even lower, at 18%, despite research that shows weight training is critical to maintaining bone density and muscle strength among older adults.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article...0000_1000_ln_06
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/137/125
BF:
Progress: 29%

I think people are just too tired. Those high carb, low fat diets are making even health conscious people tired. My mother eats this way and she's always tired. She stills walks everyday but not as far as she used to.

Its good to tell people to exercise but where's the energy to do it?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 21:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default I'm doing my part!

I do think Rubyred has a point, though. I really remember the always tired feeling I used to have. Now I'm only really tired when I overdid at the gym the day before...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 09:53

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default I remember that tired feeling

It just drags you down. After you work out your dead for the day.
It didn't help a thing.
Nedra