Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default i keep cheating

it's really pissing me off. i had NO cravings today either! but i ended up having to go to the ER for an infected cuticle from a manicure (ouch, let me tell you) and i was there quite a while. i think the waiting made me mad and want food. cheating, by the way, for me, is usually wendy's "#6 with a diet coke, hold the lettuce and put extra mayo on there please". most always fast food or frozen junk foods.

i have cheated 3 times this week. first it was checkers, then my 1,500 calorie cheat with pizza and cookies and now this. i haven't gained any weight that i can tell, but i haven't weighed myself in a week or so. i think i am just maintaining since every day i only total about 20g if i don't cheat. and right now i am finishing off those cookies (i don't know what it is about snackwells devils food cookies. i love them). my pain pill is making me tired and wierd so i am going to go to bed (they gave my lortabs!). please help. i want to stop cheating. i really do!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 22:34

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Admitting you have a problem is a good start. Thinking others can change your behaviour for you is unrealistic. We each have to hold ourselves accountable for our own actions and reactions. The help you need is at the end of your arm.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 00:02

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there

apart from TRY to fight the temptation, reschedule meals etc (the usual) - i would suggest join the 'cheat-free club' thread - probably that would push bit more willpower (i guess?) to see so many others have gone through same without cheating? ive seen some amazing people in there doing great and havent cheat for a long...long..time..wtg

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=185273

good luck
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 00:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Blue

You just have to want to lose more than you want to eat those certain foods.... I know its hard sometimes, but make yourself stop and think for at least 5 mins before giving in to the temptation....think about how you feel after the "cheat" and how much you want to lose the weight and then make your decision on whether it is really worth it or not.

If I am having a really bad day hunger wise then what I do is go up to about 30-35 net carbs that day and I eat anything I want to as long as I don't go over that carb level.... this doesn't happen often at all...maybe once every 3 weeks or so....I normally count my calories as well as my carbs and even on those rare days I still enter it all into fitday.... my normal calories are 1500 or less a day... I never gain anything from taking care of my increased appetite in this manner.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 01:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I saw a signature line today that gave me pause for thought. I can't find whose it is right now, but will post the jist of it:

"Failure is.....forgetting what you REALLY WANT in favor of what you want NOW," followed by the line:

"I think of this when I really want to cheat."

What is it you want? If you want something badly enough, you will let nothing stand in your way of achieving that goal.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 05:00

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

It's so hard to climb back on a moving wagon! I have 2 strategies that I try to stop a cheat-fest:

1. Make a LC dessert that you love and eat it every time you have a craving or are hungry for something besides a meal. I make a big mock coconut pie (lots of eggs and spag. squash!) and by the time it is gone in 2 days, I have absolutely no desire for sweets!

2. Do a really high fat day. Instead of making the big dessert, just eat whipped cream or cream cheese all day, in addition to good LC meals. Sort of a mini-fat fast.

I need to do one of them tomorrow to fix myself up...too many LC cheats lately.

You can do it! I know you love this WOE!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 05:21

Plan: Atkins/Cigarettes/Coffee
Stats: 146/135/120 Female 5f 4
BF:Oink,Oin,O
Progress: 42%

First get rid of the cookies and why are you at these fast food places,do you drive there or with family or you just cant stop..?(not trying to sound mean) Like what was said above make a lc desert, go to the recipies section here.Also I know it helps if I have a craving to tell myself to wait 20 minutes and if I still want it..which I usually dont, then I eat things Im supposed to have until Im full,if that fails and Im still craving,make something as simular to your craving as possible without the crapola Pizza can be made with a lc tortilla for crust fried until crisp.Make LC cookies or LC chocolate peanut butter cups out of this recipie section.There are lots of options. Good Luck! Its all worth it!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 05:31
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

thanks everyone...no, i go to those fast food places alone. i have had a problem with that since i got my first car as a teenager. i used to order pizza and eat the whole thing in less than 24 hours. i have a problem with greasy, carby stuff. another thing is, if i didn't lose any more weight, i'd be pretty much ok. i wear size mediums and 12's, and i am comfortable. that comfortable-ness sometimes gives me the green light to eat bad things. i know it shouldn't. i was around 30g a day, OWL, and doing great. a better thing to do instead of eat fast food would be to skimp on my carbs during the day and allow myself to eat some LC ice cream and a bunch of deviled eggs or egg salad. those are my fave treats.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-12-04, 10:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Stop cheating! There, problem solved.