Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%
Smile Can anyone answer a question for me real fast? =)

Hi!

I have a small pot roast, its flatter than usual around 3 pounds, just for my husband and I, and I want to cook it in the oven in a pan, do not have a crock pot...
Is it possible for me to mix oil and water and put the roast in the pan, add butter pats and seasonings and cover with tin foil and just bake at low heat for a while? Will it come out ok? Any major ingredient missing? lol, I don't cook much

Look forward to hearing your suggestions soon!

~Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 14:56

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default roast

Hi Amy, sounds like you've got the right idea. Everyone has different tastes for doing a roast.

I often just stick in a couple pieces of garlic, add a touch of water and let it roast.

If it's small, watch you don't cook it too much or it will get dry on you. Three pounds won't take long to roast. I go by look...but I think I remember years ago someone says 30 minutes in a moderate oven (325-350) to the pound (and this could even be too long). (Help, someone correct me, if I'm wrong)! I like my meat a little on the rare side, so I tend to not cook it too long.

Hope you enjoy dinner.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 15:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb Pot roast

To make it tender requires either long, slow cooking at low heat .. OR .. an acidic ingredient such as wine, vinegar or tomato sauce. Otherwise, you'll just end up with a nice moist chunk of meat that's tough!

Will the roasting pan fit on the burner on top of the stove? Try browning the roast on all sides in some olive oil first. Set the meat on a plate, then to the drippings in the pan, add a small onion chopped (about 1/2 cup), 2 Tbsp tomato paste + 1/2 cup water .. OR 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1 or 2 cloves garlic chopped (or garlic powder), salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir well to scrape up any browned bits from the pan. Place the meat back in the roasting pan, spoon some of the sauce over, cover and roast at 325°F for 2½ hrs. Turn the meat over once. YOu may wish to add a little more water if it's drying out. Since this piece of meat is flatter than usual, it might actually be done sooner, 2 hrs.

To serve, slice the meat across the grain, and spoon the sauce over. Total carbs = 15g, 3g fiber.

hope this is helpful

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 08:57

Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks so much for the advice!
Unfortuantely didn't have much cooking wise here, so we did the water/oil/butter/seasonings and cooked very low heat...came out yummy!!!

~Amy