Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 285/272/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 8%
Unhappy When will someone notice

Ok, before I start this thread I just have to say that I am doing this woe for me and for no one else but sometimes it's frustrating that no one else has seemed to notice this change in me! Sometimes I feel like the scale must be lying to me! I know this isn't true but anyone else feel this way!Hoping to see someone in the future I haven't seen in a while and wow them. Isit bad this sometimes keeps me motivated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:14

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

Chubbywubb maybe they aren't saying anything to you because they are afraid that you may take it as an insult.. Some people it's like coming out saying you were very obese in the first place.. Believe me.. once you hit goal weight the compliments just don't stop..LOL
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 301/280/160 Female 66 inches
BF:5th amendment
Progress: 15%

Chub,
I was going to say almost exactly what Joanne said. Also, are you the type of person (like many of us have been trained to be) who dismisses compliments? I'm glad you are doing this WOE for yourself and no one else, and I know your recognition will come pouring in when you need it most. All of us here are VERY proud of you and cannot wait to hear about future successes.
Birdie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:21

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hey, I think it's great how well you've done!!

Our beginning stats are very similar. The first time I did atkins years ago, no one said anythign to me until I had lost FORTY pounds.
Forget everyone else, and take pics of yourself every 20 lbs or so and pat yourself on the back.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:45
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Chubb,

You have done very well to lose 21 pounds in a month or so!! Way to go!!

I agree that people are sometimes reluctant to say anything because they might think it was insulting, especially if they find out that there really is no weight loss and it just seemed like it -- then you have just called the person fat. Kind of like asking someone if they are pregnant when they aren't!

I found that people didn't start noticing anything until I wore new clothes that showed the changes. See what happens when you show up with something new on in a different size!

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 19:50
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I just recently got my first comment. one of my friends stopped by the other day she didn't say anything about it. The next day she called me and said she could really see a difference. I was so excited, FINALLY someone noticed. My DH hasn't said anything either. sometimes I think the people who see us everyday don't realize the big changes like those who only see us once in awhile. I was beginning to think i would have to hit 100 pounds gone b4 anyone said anything!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 20:29
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

60 Pounds! That's how long it took for people to notice my weight loss. And in the last 8 weeks that I've only about another 8 lbs, all of a sudden, everyone notices! But, as others have said, it's the clothes too. It's been in the last 10-20 lbs that I've started wearing smaller clothes that really show off my weight loss.

So, don't worry, it will come, it may take a while, but eventually the compliments will start to flow!

Keep up the good work.

Valerie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 21:10

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi Chubbywubb!

I didn't get any comments until about 5 pounds ago, so that was around 32 pounds lost! The first comment went something like, "You look a little different...." but she couldn't quite figure out why! The nicest comments now don't even mention my weight, just that I'm looking great, keep it up!

Some people may notice and not say anything for a lot of different reasons. Remember, weight loss often happens with illness such as cancer, so it can be a very sensitive issue.

Yes, take pictures!! If I hadn't had a before picture I wouldn't have believed it myself!

Hang in there! It'll happen!

Oh, and congrats!! You've done awesome!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 21:19

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

First of all, congratulations on the weight you have lost. You are doing wonderfully!

It took awhile for people to notice my weight loss, too. I think it's normal and as the others have said, some people are hesitant to say anything. It is very noticable once you go down about 2-3 sizes in clothes and the comments will just start rolling in.

Keep up the great job!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 22:23

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

I lost 21lbs in my first month as well and noone really noticed.

All I can say is keep up the good work, because now I've lost 42lbs total and EVERYONE is noticing.

Don't get discouraged, the scale isn't lying. The first 20 aren't that noticeable, the next 20 will be.

The first comment went something like, "You look a little different...." but she couldn't quite figure out why!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me at about 30lbs. A manager in our sales department stopped me and said, "Somethings different...did you get a haircut? Hrm, no that's not it..." She couldn't put her finger on it, but the next time she saw me (10lbs later) she realized what it was.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 03:12
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

41.5 was the magic number for me. Turns out a lot of folks were commenting amongst themselves and wondering before anyone said anything to me. When the person made first comment, later in the comment they said "EVERYONE"S noticed!" which I jotted on a calender because it was such a big deal for me.

Lynda
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 04:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Chubbywubb, don't you worry - they may not say anything, but they notice! I found that out at work, it took a lot of courage for a few people to bring up the subject - let's face it a lot of people are very sensitive about weight issues, and are afraid to open their mouths - but keep it up,adn I can guarantee they will say something eventually
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 04:40
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Just remembered a comment I got when I had lost (not this time but another) -- a guy said I was looking great -- had I QUIT SMOKING!! I didn't smoke at the time and thought it was hilarious!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 06:47

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

I had to lose 100lbs before anyone said anything...but now the compliments are flying in ....(I keep reminding myself to not get addicted to that )
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 07:17

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Chubbywubb!

Alot of times, I do think it is the clothes that first set people off thinking something is different. When you are wearing the same clothes (even though they may be a little looser), people don't seem to notice as much. When you get to buy something new, let us know what happens!