Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/211/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Anyone here use the Atkins Bake Mix?

I've seen the Atkins bake mix, but haven't tried it yet. Does anyone here use it? I know I've tried the Atkins bars and thought they were horrible. If the baking mix is any taste like the bars, I definately don't want it. Any comments would be helpful.

Gabrielle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:49

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I have to be honest. Since starting Atkin's back in April of last year I have stayed clear of any and all baked goods. Reason being is I don't feel right substituting a high carb product for a low carb one. They never taste as good as the original, which could tempt you into going for the real thing.

That is just me though.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 08:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Gabrielle, I've got a tin of the bake mix (I've had it for about 5 months) It's 'not bad' but I've found that I can use soy protein isolate and almond flour in place of it in the few things I bake and it comes out tasting just the same (at a fraction of the cost)

If you do some hunting around the recipe forum, and online, you'll find there are a lot of recipes that use things like almond flour (just ground up almonds) whey protein, soy protein, arrowroot flour, etc which you can buy in bulk. Atkins' mix is convenient from time to time, but it is also costly.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:00
Registered Member

BF:

Temptation isn't my problem. My problem is my system is so sensitive to all kinds of foods that I am trying to make my choices more. Right now, my choices are very very few.

Natrushka,

Thank you. I'll definately search the recipes. I have finally found a source for almond flour, I've just not ordered it yet. And I use soy all the time. It's the one flour I have been able to get my system to agree to.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:01

Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy

I broke down and bought the bake mix yesterday at my grocery store for $12.99. I made pancakes with it this morning following a recipe I got off of LowCarb friends webpage. I was a little disapointed, the pancakes looked great but tasted kind of like a sponge. It was very filling, maybe a little too much so after not eating things like that for over a month! Also, pancakes just aren't pancakes without maple syrup but I couldn't find any low-carb at the store--they had Log Cabin made with Splenda but it still had tons of carbs (about 20 I think). I used Davinci Syrup and Atkin's Chocolate syrup but they just didn't cut it.

I am giving up on the pancakes, but I read that I might be able to make pizza crust with it so that will be my next project!

Kristie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:07

BF:
Default Almond Flour

Gabrielle, you can make your own almond flour if you're up to it - it's pretty easy and this way you only make what you need. I grind up almonds in an extra coffee grinder I picked up at wal-mart. Grinders are great for grinding up flax seeds as well for flax breafast cereal/porridge.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:13
Registered Member

BF:

Natrushka,

Thanks. I do have a food processor that could grind them up just fine. The one thing I've noticed though is that almonds are so expensive and that the flour might be more economical for me to buy since I'm on a low income budget. That's another problem with special diets and a low budget. The diets are more expensive than the income. LOL. I'll definately have to try it both ways and see which one I like best. Thanks for the idea.

Gabrielle
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielle
The diets are more expensive than the income. LOL.

Gabrielle, you might want to take a look at this discussion about the cost of LC. It's good food for thought

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you. I'll defiately take a peek at it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:57

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

I bought one can of it and I thought it was horrible! I think I just tried making pancakes and blueberry muffins and threw them out. Waste of money in my opinion! The only baking I do (and that's not much!) is with ground almonds, or pork rinds for pancakes.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:11
Registered Member

BF:

I'll have to try the ground almonds or almond flour then. Not sure I can handle pork rinds, but I can get a bag and try them. Most stuff like that usually has MSG, or some other chemical, my system can't handle to well.

Gabrielle
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielle
I'll have to try the ground almonds or almond flour then. Not sure I can handle pork rinds, but I can get a bag and try them. Most stuff like that usually has MSG, or some other chemical, my system can't handle to well.

I'm pretty sure that pork rinds are just deep fried pork skin and salt. Pay no mind to what they taste like - they are amazing when you bake with them. I have made cookies and served them to unsuspecting friends and family and made them guess what they were made of They make a great breading as well. And I havent tried it but I've heard the French Toast is out of this world.

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:

Natrushka,

My problem isn't with the porkrinds, it's with the chemicals most put in them. Like MSG, for one, or other things that really sets of my system. BUT, I'll take a look in our local health food stores. Maybe they have some there that I can handle.

I am still trying to find a source of beef that hasn't had hormones or medication, but that's hard to find. And the local markets have beef that has been on all kinds of stuff.

Gabrielle
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 17:28

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 158/156/124
BF:
Progress: 6%
Unhappy

I HAVE USED IT AND ITS OKAY I GUESS, MY HUSBAND HATED IT! I FOUND THE SHAKE MIX TO BE TERRIBLE HARD TO GET THE CLUMPS OUT TOO UNLESS U USE A BLENDER. ALL IN ALL I THINK THAT ITS TOLERABLE!
SHADOWLADY
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 12:33

Stats: 199/165/165
BF:

I've tried the pancake and the muffix mix. I like the taste of both. I just wish they weren't so dang gum expensive! I definitely don't like the shake mix. Now if I could just find some good low carb pasta!