Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Beer giant, Sobe diet at odds on bellying up to a brew"

Posted on Thu, Apr. 22, 2004

Beer giant, Sobe diet at odds on bellying up to a brew

Anheuser-Busch today will kick off a campaign telling low-carb dieters that it's OK to drink beer. But the key, nutritionists say, is moderation.

BY ELAINE WALKER

ewalker~herald.com

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiheral.../8490175.htm?1c

A cold, tall frosty beer and the South Beach Diet don't have to be mutually exclusive, according to Anheuser-Busch.

The nation's largest brewer is taking aim at the South Beach Diet with a national ad campaign that kicks off today on Miami Beach. Anheuser-Busch claims there is misinformation presented in the bestselling low-carb diet book by Mount Sinai Hospital cardiologist Dr. Arthur Agatston.

Agatston says Anheuser-Busch is getting carried away on a technicality.

''The fact is that beer is fattening. It's empty calories with no nutritional value,'' Agatston said. ``I haven't seen any diet ever where they suggested drinking beer.''

The fight is over maltose, a form of sugar.

The book says beer is loaded with maltose, which has a ''higher glycemic index than white bread'' and is ''even worse than table sugar.'' Agatston in his book calls maltose the ``king of all sugars, the one that increases blood sugar faster than any other.''

But the brewer of the King of Beers says Agatston's maltose claims are untrue.

While maltose is found in beer in its early brewing stages, it is eliminated in the fermentation process when yeast converts the maltose to alcohol and carbonation, Anheuser-Busch says.

`REPUTATION OF BEER'

''Maintaining the reputation of beer is very important to us,'' said Francine Katz, Anheuser-Busch spokeswoman. ``We're not attacking the South Beach Diet or Dr. Agatston. We just want to let people know that there is some good news about beer and beer drinkers can enjoy a beer with whatever diet they're on.''

St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch is spending nearly $1 million taking out full-page ads on Friday in 31 newspapers across the country touting its message, ``Have a beer with your South Beach Diet.''

A Washington University nutritionist supports Anheuser-Busch's claims. He has agreed to appear in Anheuser-Busch press releases and to be interviewed on the issue but said he is not being paid.

''You don't need to be without beer on a diet,'' said Dr. Sam Klein, director of the Center for Human Nutrition, ``as long as you account for the calories and consume it in moderation.''

Agatston doesn't disagree.

The Miami Beach cardiologist says there is room for people following his diet to drink an occasional light or low-carb beer, once they reach Phase II of the program. Agatston has also hired scientific experts to research the maltose issue and told Anheuser-Busch that if he's wrong, he'll be glad to make a change in the book's next edition.

''The diet is one that's an evolution,'' said Agatston, whose diet's stance against orange juice has also come under attack from the Florida Department of Citrus. ``I'm anxious to correct anything we said that is wrong. But I don't want to give the wrong impression and tell people to go ahead and drink a lot of beer.''

A 12-ounce Budweiser contains 145 calories and 10.5 grams of carbohydrates. But a Bud Light drops to 110 calories and 6.6 carbs.

Michelob Ultra comes in even lower at 97 calories and 2.6 grams of carbs. Other low-carb beers include Rolling Rock's Rock Green Light and Coors Brewing Co.'s Aspen Edge.

The carbohydrates that do remain after the fermentation process are dextrins or large, complex carbohydrates, said Doug Muhleman, vice president and chief brewmaster at Anheuser-Busch.

`CAN FIT IN'

''We're not saying beer has no carbohydrates,'' Muhleman said. ``But if you compare beer to other food choices on a low-carb diet, it certainly can fit in.''

The federal Alcohol, Tobacco, Tax and Trade Bureau, which regulates the alcohol industry, has recently issued guidelines that any beer with less than 7 grams of carbohydrates can be advertised as low-carb.

As the South Beach Diet, Atkins and Sugar Busters have gained widespread popularity among consumers, beer makers have been trying to outdo each other by having the product with the lowest carb counts. Their moves come after several years where beer sales have been relatively flat or declining.

FORMULATING BEERS

''They're formulating beers that are low in carbs, so they don't lose their customers,'' said Sheah Rarback, a dietitian with the University of Miami School of Medicine. ``Low-carb is everywhere. It's really hitting every food.''

While Rarback agrees that a low-carb or light beer can be part of any diet plan, the key is moderation.

''Alcohol tends to make people a little looser about sticking with a diet,'' she said. ``You've got to remember how many you drink. There's a difference between one and a six-pack.''
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 17:11

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

tsk, don't even think about it Gotbeer. Remember alcohol aggravates gout
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Arrrrgh.
Arrrrgh.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 12:32

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

hey I lost 30 plus pounds while putting away at least 10 pints of Guiness a week, often more! and them's imperial pints, the 20 oz. kind.

of course, maybe I'd lose more if I cut out the beer, but I try as I might, I just can't convince myself that it's worth it, ha haaa...