Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 19:34

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default soy=weight gain?

I've been researching coconut oil due to my thyroid problems, and stumbled upon this:

Quote:
Farmers are always looking for ways to fatten their livestock because bigger animals bring bigger profits. Fats and oils are used as additive in animal feed to quickly pack on weight in preparing them for market. Saturated fat seems like a good choice to fatten up livestock so pig farmers tired to feed coconut products to their animals for this purpose, but when it was added to the animal feed, the pigs lost weight! (15) Farmers found that the high polyunsaturated oil content of corn and soybeans quickly did what the coconut oil couldn’t. Animals fed corn and soybeans packed on pounds quickly and easily. The reason these oils worked so well is that their oils suppressed thyroid function, decreasing the animal’s metabolic rate. Soybeans are particularly bad because of the goitrogens (anti-thyroid chemicals) they contain. (16-17) They could eat less food and gain more weight! Many people are in a similar situation. Every time we eat polyunsaturated oils, our thyroid gland is assaulted and loses its ability to function normally. Weight gain is one of the consequences.

It's from http://www.coconut-info.com/weight-loss.htm

Now I'm afraid to eat soy products! Tons of my LC foods have soy. We all know corn causes weight gain because of the starch, but soy? Yikes!

Has anybody had trouble with weight gain or stall because of soy?

Sheri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 08:45

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi nitrovixen,

I think it is soya bean oil they are talking about rather than soy products which contain the whole bean. The motto of this is don't cook with corn or soya bean oil - use olive oil instead.

Just my two pence worth,

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 13:47

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

I eat soy regularly in various forms - flour, tofu, snacks.....doesn't seem to stall or make me gain.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:08

Well that's good to know.. I was wondering if it was causing my stall but it must be something else! Thanks for the input!

Sheri
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/153/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Here's an article with some info on soy and thyroid.

www.thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa041202a.htm?terms=soy

I try to stay away from too much soy myself. A lot of the health claims made about soy are turning out not to be true, especially for women.

Here's a few more articles.

www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_soy.html

www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_alert.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JudyAnn : Fri, Mar-28-03 at 14:53.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 16:02

Judyann: wow! That is scary. It makes me want to avoid soy altogether.. I favor any whey protein over soy, and try not to eat it. My mom warned me when I tried to do the vegan thing for about two weeks.. (sheepish grin inserted here)
My friend tried to tell me how unhealthy meat was and how our bodies weren't meant to digest meat! typical. It makes me laugh now!!
I hope she lives past 35 eating all her soy this-and-that, overprocessed, sugar and carb filled "foods"
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 16:23
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrovixen

My friend tried to tell me how unhealthy meat was and how our bodies weren't meant to digest meat!

WOW! How uninformed is that! Our bodies are prefectly adapted to eating meat. Being a vegetarian, I am going against my species' evolution. Your friend needs to get a hold of a basic physical anthropology text book.

As far as the soy thing goes-I am still reading up on it, but it seems that there is a big debate going on. Some people point out the problem is with unprocessed soy-soy has to go through a procedure that eliminates the problem chemicals. I agree that too much is probably not good-but there is a difference in soy products and how they are produced. My doctor said many of the studies are pretty inconclusive and just not to go overboard with it.

I am still slogging through experiments, case studies and commentaries though.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 11:58

Hi Paleoanth!
You are just a bottomless well of information! If I ever have a question about Anything I'm going to ask you!

My friend is a little loopy about a lot of things.. she's also a self proclaimed "rabid feminist" and has some pretty quirky ideas about things... but she has a heart of gold! She pleaded with me to not do Low Carb because she thought it was really unhealthy. I haven't talked to her in a long time but next time it comes up I'm going to be sure and have a little debate with her over how to really be healthy! Vegans don't even look healthy.. they are usually emaciated, with big black circles under their eyes and pale, pasty skin! (Wait, the pale part might be due to the lack of sunshine here in Seattle!)

I don't think I'll be buying any soy milk in the near future, nonetheless.

sheri